Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VAC Education funding

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

VAC Education funding - Page 2 Empty DEC

Post by Trevge1 Mon 22 Jun 2020, 00:48

I believe I am getting the DEC, but not sure about IRB. I am permanently disabled and receiving a full pension from VAC/ SISIP.

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-06-21

Back to top Go down

VAC Education funding - Page 2 Empty Re: VAC Education funding

Post by bigrex Sun 21 Jun 2020, 22:24

No problem, since it doesn't sound like you are deemed DEC, and getting financial benefits from VAC, like the IRB.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevge1 Sun 21 Jun 2020, 21:52

Thanks for the reply. I was worried I would create a problem if i took a course, that could potentially lead to employment. I am looking to use the information learned for personal use. Thanks again.

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 21 Jun 2020, 21:44

As far as I know, the only criteria for the education funding, is that you pass the course. There is nothing in the legislation or regulations that states that the degree or diploma, needs to lead to gainful employment. Here is what is required from the Veteran.

From the legislation

"Course of study at educational institution

5.3 (1) An education and training benefit may be paid to a veteran entitled to a benefit under this Part in respect of

(a) education or training received from an educational institution as part of a course of study leading to the completion of a degree, diploma, certification or designation; and

(b) any expenses, including living expenses, that may be incurred by the veteran while enrolled at the institution.

Marginal note:Request for payment

(2) A veteran requesting payment in respect of education or training described in paragraph (1)(a) shall provide the Minister with proof of acceptance, enrolment or registration at the institution for an upcoming period of study and with any prescribed information.

Marginal note:Additional information

(3) The Minister may request that the veteran provide the Minister with additional information for the purpose of making the determination under subsection (4)."

From the regulations

"5.02 For the purposes of subsection 5.3(2) of the Act, a veteran shall provide

(a) for the initial period of study, an education and training plan that includes

(i) the name and description of the course of study,

(ii) the tuition fees and any other related fees for which the veteran is requesting payment, and

(iii) the anticipated duration of the course of study for the veteran; and

(b) for any subsequent period of study,

(i) the tuition fees and any other related fees for which the veteran is requesting payment, and

(ii) the results obtained for the previous period of study."

And according to this, you can even request a bonus amount, on the successful completion of the course.

"Education and training completion bonus

5.4 On application, the Minister may pay, over and above an education and training benefit, an education and training completion bonus in the prescribed amount to a veteran who receives a degree, diploma, certification or designation in respect of which they received a payment of an education and training benefit under section 5.3."
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Kramer likes this post

Back to top Go down

VAC Education funding - Page 2 Empty VAC Education funding

Post by Trevge1 Sun 21 Jun 2020, 18:42

Hello. I have been out for just over 8 years now. I went to college after releasing. it was too much for me. I had to leave the course as it was to much stress for me. This was through SISIP. While looking through my release papers, I found out i had been deemed permanently disabled from SISIP before releasing. I had the letter, but no one explained what it was, and Sisip had been on my case about getting back to work. It was a lot of pressure for me. This year I called VAC, and asked about taking a short course on music or small engine repair, or what ever, just something i can do around my house or in the garage. I followed their directions and submitted a request for Educational and training funding, for a short course. I submitted it on a Sunday afternoon. By noon Monday I had received a response of “no” from VAC. The person that had looked at it didn’t bother to look into my file. I had to call back three times before finding someone that would look into it. A few weeks later, I received a letter saying that they apologize for the delay, and the previous letter. My file had not been updated since 2014 or so. So it looked like I was still under the vocational education part.
Sorry for the long story, but now to my question;
I have been approved for the full VAC educational funding, $84,000 something. I am worried if i take a course, they will want me to try going to work somewhere afterwards. Has anyone else gone through this sort of thing ?

Trevge1
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2