Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you are a recipient of a LTD benefit and die tomorrow all your benefits cease. There is no “survivor or widow” benefit, and if you die in the middle of the month Manulife will put the remaining portion towards your estate.

+4
pteadams2002
Teentitan
DeeCee
dennismanuge
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you are a recipient of a LTD benefit and die tomorrow all your benefits cease. There is no “survivor or widow” benefit, and if you die in the middle of the month Manulife will put the remaining portion towards your estate. Empty Re: If you are a recipient of a LTD benefit and die tomorrow all your benefits cease. There is no “survivor or widow” benefit, and if you die in the middle of the month Manulife will put the remaining portion towards your estate.

Post by Newfie Sat 26 Jan 2013, 01:42

Continuation of Disability Pension from VAC website

When a disability pensioner dies, if he or she was pensioned at 5% or greater, the survivor will continue to receive (for a period of one year) the same Disability Pension or Prisoner of War compensation that was being paid to the pensioner. This includes any Attendance Allowance and/or Exceptional Incapacity Allowance the pensioner was receiving at the time of death. After this one year period, a survivor's pension will be automatically paid.

Survivor's Pension

A survivor's pension will be paid to the survivor of a disability pensioner commencing one year from the time of death. The pensioner's benefits continue in full for the first year.

If the pensioner was receiving a pension of 48% or greater, the survivor is entitled to a full survivor's pension. If the pensioner was receiving a pension between the 5% and 47% rate, the survivor will receive one-half of the

Disability Pension that was paid to the pensioner.
Surviving spouses/surviving common-law partners who remarry will continue to receive the survivor's pension. Children and other qualified dependants may also qualify for benefits following a pensioner's death. Please contact us for more information.

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

If you are a recipient of a LTD benefit and die tomorrow all your benefits cease. There is no “survivor or widow” benefit, and if you die in the middle of the month Manulife will put the remaining portion towards your estate. Empty Re: If you are a recipient of a LTD benefit and die tomorrow all your benefits cease. There is no “survivor or widow” benefit, and if you die in the middle of the month Manulife will put the remaining portion towards your estate.

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:48

Hey Steve ,

Actually , the part about re-marrying is absolutly correct as i have been looking into a lot of the finer details of all the Pensions , the ups & down's
pro's & con's as some have come to be very predictable & some as you & i have discussed earlier today are a complete shocker . Lots of Details , GOOGLE IT . WOOOOOOOOOW

For Country
RtiredArmyMasterSniper
Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:43

by the way thanks to everyone for the very positive responses to our inquiry, yes i realize it was just spec fire but hey you gotta keep them heads down while the boys launch you know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:20

i keep tellin da wife , honey i really am worth more alive than dead , the Pensions go downhill from there , so as TeenTitan said get your personal business in order for the wife & kids .

Show your wife a true breakdown of what will come after you pass & what pensions continue for her & the kids even if she re-marries , gain her trust
& tell her she's richer than she thinks , just like the commercial .

For Country
RetiredArmyMasterSniper
Dave Fitzpatrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:42

Note to self dont kill myself.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:21

DeeCee I get a 92% VAC pension. I was told that my wife can get my full pension and VIP package depending on her circumstances after my death. I believe this is after your are 85% VAC.
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Fri 25 Jan 2013, 17:49

DeeCee
IN 2006 my father passed away and was 100% VAC (WWII) pension. After a year my mother now gets 1/2. She is also entitled to VIP package.

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 25 Jan 2013, 16:29

Thanks Bigrex you are officially the CSAT head administrator! Sorry no pay, benefits or promotions. Just the satisfaction of helping your fellow veterans. LOL
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 25 Jan 2013, 16:00

Pension Act Survivor benefits are 50% of pension amounts up to 47%. 48% and above is paid at the 75% for a single Veterans. There is also additional money for each dependent child.The current rates are listed on the second page of the rate charts listed on the RCL website.

So my recommendation to any Veteran at around the 40-45% mark, is to do always get re-evaluated if you feel your condition might have worsened, especially since NVC disability awards to not contribute to the percentage calculated for survivor rates. At 47%, the survivor get $721 per month, but with the additional 1%, the survivor would get $1945 per month. The added money could spell the difference between surviving and living for our loved ones.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 15:52

Isn't SISIP in the Life Insurance Business, or does that end when you get released?
pteadams2002
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 25 Jan 2013, 15:51

Robbie and Recon you are truly the snipers of the CSAT.

Unfortunately even if Peter tried to negotiate for this he would have been stonewalled as that is a policy change that would have to go thru the mechanism called the Government. Remember the TB wrote the policy which was approved by the governing party at that time. So to have a survivors clause it would have to be put forth on the floor of the HoC.

Remember though you have your survivors life insurance (the proper name escapes my mind right now) for your spouse.

And further to Dennis M's comment above if your injury under the Pension Act is greater then 58% your spouse recieves a widow/widower pension of around $1600/month for the rest of their life.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Fri 25 Jan 2013, 15:38

Dennis, I have been led to beleave that anyone assessed at under 50 percent disabled, the spouse gets 50 percent of the award. Anyone assessed over 50 percent, the spouse gets 2/3rds or 66 percent of the award. PS, the award I am referring to is the VAC Pension.
DeeCee
DeeCee
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2012-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 15:11

I Dennis and I concur not your fight I just wish it would have been a part of the bargaining process that's all. I would have actually wanted this instead of a bursary but hey I wont look a gift horse in the mouth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next