Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remembrance, cenotaphs and other monuments

2 posters

Go down

Remembrance, cenotaphs and other monuments Empty Re: Remembrance, cenotaphs and other monuments

Post by Teentitan Sun 14 Jul 2013, 00:06

Can't argue about your point Rex. It is absurd that a community would rather have a monument to remember veterans when veterans are in need in their communities.

Monuments are nothing more then grip n' grins for politicians and the false misleading impression VAC cares for veterans.

It's summer and the continual media releases of MP's on behalf of Minister Blaney dedicate the war memorial restoration/construction/funding...blah, blah, blah.

What I would like to receive is on behalf of Minister Blaney MP ____ delivers a wheelchair, drives a veteran to their appointment. Or introduces a veterans companion dog so the veteran can cope with life.

But hey that's not as "patriotic" compared to standing in front of refurbished monument in small town Canada that MP's need to get votes.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Remembrance, cenotaphs and other monuments Empty Remembrance, cenotaphs and other monuments

Post by bigrex Sat 13 Jul 2013, 13:35

I know that I may not win many fans with this, but I had to comment. I do not think Veterans Affairs should be spending tens of millions of dollars every year, just so every community can build or upkeep their own monument to their local fallen, or to community groups wishing to celebrate certain events such as Operation Husky. Local monuments should be paid for by the local community, and these other groups should be getting funds from Heritage Canada, NOT Veterans Affairs. VAC budget should be solely meant for the care and well being of the countries Veterans, nothing else. It just pisses me off when you hear of Veterans getting denied a $100 piece of equipment that would make their life better, or denying a Vet certain medications as perscribed by their doctor because it doesn't happen to be on their "list", but yet it seems every community that applies gets some federal money to repair a local monument, like the $20000 announced last month for the St George, Ontario'  (pop 35000) cenotaph, which is next to Hamilton, even though the monument is likely in disrepair because it is all but ignored except on Nov 11th.

So basically, if it has to deal with history and remembrance, Heritage Canada should be paying, since our military past is part of our nations heritage. Then that would leave VAC money to do what it was created to do, look after the Vets, without having to worry about penny pinching over chunks of stone and brick.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum