Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on Pension Acts...

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Question on Pension Acts... Empty Re: Question on Pension Acts...

Post by Nemo Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:32

WOV, sound like u want to help your family with your money. while this is very nice of u, u must also consider yourself. does not sound like u have much money so make sure u put some money away. i don't know what u r getting but don't give it all away. after all, once this money is gone, who will help u? and autism is no fun for families whose members are severe cases. some autism people can function fairly well and even create their own income. but many are severe cases. your brother and wife may have to go the route of the other woman in ON with an older son with autism. she dropped him off somewhere and would not pick him up again. it was not lack of love. they were simply getting older and despite trying to find a place to place him on a permanent basis, there exists no places. i know it is the same in ab. someone i know dropped their son at ponoka and left him there. the hubby had heart attack and they are in their 60's. despite trying to find a place for him, there was none.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 19:08

owl you are doing a very good thing for a lot of people I really hope it leads to something good.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 17:30

I understand and I thank you Navrat. I am in no way a violent person......i'm a softy but I so understand you.

Thanks again for the advice.

Widow of Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 17:21

WOV, Ya I agree it's not pretty , not pretty at all for so many, I am also wondering because we have and sadly every year less veterans from all the wars that Ontario brought that rule in and financially could not afford it. Either way I hope they figure this out! Just another point and it's just a suggestion because I don't want anything to happen to you, but maybe be careful with the way you state how you feel about MC , only because they are lawyers and read CSAT , and any accusations regarding lying or misrepresentation might bring some trouble from MC . Believe me I am on your side but these days you have to be very careful what you say and the way you say it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 17:09

I will be calling ODSP also as soon as this lottery here is settle. The girl from ODSP  was so rude to me and told me that I had an over payment, told me that her husband was military and she knew all about it. She was so mean but I can't remember her name. She should of been more understanding.....maybe one day she will understand it better when she is in this situation. I will tell them that my pension from VA is not an income.

Navrat, i'm in Ontario also and I saw that poor lady on ODSP having to turn her son to the disability office. It broke my heart and I had a few tears for her. So sad and she was crying so bad.

My nephew has autism also and my brother and his wife don't get help. They have been looking for so long to find a place for him to attend on a subsidy, although they both work but can't make ends meet and they are refuse at every corner. They also have another son (my godchild) who has ADHD. The daughter is doing fine and the other son as been in the Cadets for a little over a year now. They all need footwear right now and I promised it but this d??? lottery is not coming. I could be doing so much to help my family but things are not happening fast anough and i'm getting very frustrated and upset. Now I have my kick ass booths on.......did I say that word? SORRY....Shocked 

Widow of Veteran

Last edited by Widow of Veteran on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 17:33; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 15:39

I have started the ball rolling on this issue with the Ontario Ombudsman's office and my VAC caseworker to get the formalities out of the way, and will soon have an appointment for a 3 way call do discuss the Income Tax Act and how they are not to count a Veteran's Pension as income.

If this stepping stone looks good, I will then start a post for adding ODSP on the "hit list" and hopefully all those affected by this oversight, including myself will get some reparations... we shall see... now it's time to hurry up and wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 15:18

It may seem that way but nobody in this province who has to live on the amount they give you can afford to live! Cost of living too high, my nephew has autism and is on it and he gets a reduced rate because he lives with his parents, my brother, but he has to because he can't look after himself and just because the program says something it's all based on funds. There is no funds to look after disabled people or older people who require care, it got so desperate here that parents of adult children with severe disabilities had to drop there children off at the disability services Ontario office just to get them placed. If any of you think we have it bad there is a significant amount of poor disabled people in Ontario who live in third world conditions. This whole country is headed down the tubes , GOC can't raise interest rates because they would bankrupt all levels of Government because our national and provincial debts are tied to market rates. What will happen, Massive inflation, the only way out but taking 10 million families down with it. Don't be fooled by Harper

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 13 Sep 2013, 14:56

Nav, you are wrong about borrowing though, each family member can be gifted up to $6000 per year without it affecting the benefit, and a family unit can receive up to $100000 from charitable donations or inheritance, with no deductions. Honestly, other that the obvious discrimination against disabled veterans ,the plan seems rather generous.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 13 Sep 2013, 14:46

Honestly, this is one battle that I would fight. I just read the ODSP list of inclusions and exclusions, and it specifically list payments made under the Pension Act and War Veterans Allowance Act, but yet there are two types of payments made under workers compensation, and court awarded damages of up to $100000 that are exempt. So pain and suffering awards for Veterans is fair game, but their civilian counterparts are exempt? This is not just smelling like a lawsuit, it reeks like one.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 13:07

Ontario works and ODSp are like financial Nazis , if you receive any monies , even borrowing money from a family member they will deduct it

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:55

same odor I'm smelling propat
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:40

just remember federal legislation trumps provincial why do you think us rednecks here in nb couldn't pass our own gun legislation? why? it would be pointless we would still have to follow the federal gun legislation so no automatic weapons for us lol.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:35

smells like another lawsuit.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:37

I was on ODSP until I started receiving from VAC as a Surviving Spouse and I was cut off as soon as they found out. I ended up with an overpayment from ODSP and they want it all. Revenu Canada keeps my return every year because of it.
After this lottery is over, I will deal with them before tax time.

Widow of Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:03

Best answer yet Rex...don't tell them!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum