Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans Ombudsman Responds to Minister of Veterans Affairs' Announcement on Opening New Veterans Charter to Review

3 posters

Go down

Veterans Ombudsman Responds to Minister of Veterans Affairs' Announcement on Opening New Veterans Charter to Review Empty Re: Veterans Ombudsman Responds to Minister of Veterans Affairs' Announcement on Opening New Veterans Charter to Review

Post by bigrex Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:41

Propat is correct again, the PIA was brought in with NVC to direct replaced the EIA program, and regs specifically state that only those who has been previously approved for the EIA cannot receive the PIA, or vice versa, and no mention of the AA. Attendance Allowance is still solely under the PA, and there is no correlating NVC program, that is why only those getting the monthly DVA pension are still eligible. This is the problem with two legislation being in play. The frontline staff have no idea what they are doing, and obviously incapable or uncaring enough to verify what they are telling clients is correct or not.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Veterans Ombudsman Responds to Minister of Veterans Affairs' Announcement on Opening New Veterans Charter to Review Empty Re: Veterans Ombudsman Responds to Minister of Veterans Affairs' Announcement on Opening New Veterans Charter to Review

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 06:58

no sapper I don't think they got that right. pleas someone correct me if im wrong but its the EIA and PIA that do that not the Attendance allowance and PIA.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Thu 26 Sep 2013, 22:50

Yes I receive this allowance as I wear special braces that damage my clothing etc. Its a very small amount but graded on need. I was told that I cannot have the Attendance allowance and the PIA as they serve the same purpose...

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Sep 2013, 22:39

Ya, I get that but wanted a more special benefit, one that pays at least 5000 a month , tax free!

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 26 Sep 2013, 22:36

Nav, they do have something for a caregiver, it's call the Attendance Allowance and those receiving a PA pension can still be approved for it by your CM. It is tax free and can be awarded if you require assistance with ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) such as getting dressed or bathing, from your spouse or even a parent, if unmarried. The allowance ranges from $274 to $1716 per month.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Sep 2013, 20:32

I also believe they should have a caregiver allowance, Mrs Navrat deserves a lot more and she's been getting slower these past years, I like my beer delivered at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the Walking Dead! Sparrows too far away to carry my tray of cigars and cognacs for me, this New Charter better produce!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Sep 2013, 20:29

Good idea Nav...I'd like the bloody VRAB to stop saying one thing then doing another, after consulting the minister prior to their decisions...not as independent as we're lead to believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Sep 2013, 20:23

I would like the 65 cut issue acted on, legion and CVA already approached mva on this

Back to top Go down

Veterans Ombudsman Responds to Minister of Veterans Affairs' Announcement on Opening New Veterans Charter to Review Empty Veterans Ombudsman Responds to Minister of Veterans Affairs' Announcement on Opening New Veterans Charter to Review

Post by abetterway Thu 26 Sep 2013, 20:07

Dear fellow Veterans.

Lets hope this review will address and correct the problems, that a lot of current and still serving Veterans, have had to struggle with for the last few years. I still have a certain degree of hope that the issues some have voiced here on this board, will be sorted out. My heart goes out to all of you fellow Vets who continue to struggle daily with the VAC process and lack of Compassion, shown by some Vac staff.

Cheers.
John.

Ottawa, Ontario – Guy Parent, Canada's Veterans Ombudsman, is pleased that the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, has agreed with his recommendation to conduct a comprehensive review of the New Veterans Charter, including all enhancements, with a special focus placed on the most seriously injured, support for families and the delivery of programs by Veterans Affairs Canada. "I congratulate the Minister of Veterans Affairs for having the fortitude to take this most important step forward," said Mr. Parent.

"In the last 16 months, the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman has conducted the most comprehensive and intensive research and analysis work that it has undertaken since it opened in 2007," said Mr. Parent. "In the last six months, I have also personally tested our growing body of recommendations with almost all Veterans' organizations across the country, as well as with other stakeholder groups with an interest in Veterans' issues. I have also had multiple working consultations with Veterans and their families and have briefed parliamentarians on my team’s findings."

On Tuesday, October 1, the Veterans Ombudsman will publically release his Report on the New Veterans Charter with an accompanying Actuarial Analysis at a national news conference. "I believe that the Report breaks new ground on how we view the New Veterans Charter and I believe also that it could well be a game changer by serving as the baseline of how the Charter should be evaluated today and in the future."

This is the first time that an Actuarial Analysis will accompany any report that has ever been done on the New Veterans Charter. "There are no hypotheses or speculations in my Report,” said Mr. Parent. "I will be presenting to the Veterans Community and to Canadians next Tuesday just evidence-based facts and analysis."

The Actuarial Analysis backs the recommendations that the Veterans Ombudsman will be putting forward and shows exactly where the weaknesses are in the New Veterans Charter, what they are, and what it is going to take to fix them. Its analysis of benefits and programs pinpoint exactly where the current suite of New Veterans Charter benefits are failing Veterans today, and will continue to fail them and their families tomorrow unless changes are made quickly to save them from hardship and poverty.

"Notwithstanding the enhancements brought about by the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act in 2011, Veterans and their families continue to face problems," said Mr. Parent. "Now that the Minister of Veterans Affairs has agreed to my recommendation to open up the New Veterans Charter for review, I urge him to establish the review's ground rules quickly and also institute a regular two-year Charter review to demonstrate to Veterans and their families, and to all Canadians, that the parliamentarians who unanimously voted in the New Veterans Charter in 2005 are going to steadfastly stand up for the promise that they made to our Veterans."

abetterway
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down