Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will this SISIP fiasco ever end???

2 posters

Go down

Will this SISIP fiasco ever end??? Empty Re: Will this SISIP fiasco ever end???

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 18:08

Sparrow,

The only thing I could think of is if some from the facebook page were getting final payment notices from the CRA - and contacted the CRA to discuss the notice - They could have told the CRA that they have no means to pay the bill - The CRA could have responded by suggesting to them to get a personal loan, other than that Sparrow, I really don't know, but I will post the recovery process for you,

Under the
Income Tax Act,
every individual who has to pay tax for a calendar
year must, by
April 30
of the following year.

" CRA COLLECTION PROCEDURES "

Most tax debtors whose assessments result in a balance owing pay these
balances promptly with no intervention on the part of the CRA. However, to
reinforce the fairness and equity of the self-assessment system for those tax
debtors who pay their taxes on time, the CRA will take a firm and efficient
approach when collecting outstanding accounts from tax debtors who do not
pay their taxes. The CRA requires that these amounts be paid and makes all
reasonable efforts to ensure that they are. In most cases, if balances are not
paid within 30 days of the date a
Notice of Assessment/Reassessment
is
issued, a second request for the balance owing will be made either by mail or by
telephone.

If your balance remains outstanding and you have not been in contact with us to
discuss payment of your debt, we may send you a final letter. The letter will
notify you that if you do not make full payment or other satisfactory
arrangements as outlined below, we may take legal action such as garnisheeing
your income (i.e., we may intercept funds payable to you) or initiate other legal
action (i.e., directing the sheriff to seize and sell your assets). Interest charges
will continue to accumulate on any unpaid balances

We will accept payment arrangements when you have exhausted all reasonable
possibilities of obtaining the necessary funds by borrowing or re-arranging your
financial affairs. If you cannot pay the balance in full, you should contact the
Revenue Collections Division at your tax services office to discuss a mutually
satisfactory payment arrangement based on your ability to pay. We will require
evidence from you comprised of full income disclosure, living expenses, and
assets and liabilities which will be verified before we accept any proposed
payment arrangement.

Should you not agree with the decision made by a CRA employee, you have the
right to discuss the matter with the employee's supervisor. The employee will
provide you with the supervisor's name and telephone number if requested.

If the previous steps have not resulted in a payment solution, legal action could
follow. Once a garnishee or other legal action is started, it will not usually be
withdrawn unless you settle the debt by paying the full balance or providing
evidence that the action is creating undue financial hardship. We will notify you
by mail of the garnishment action.

If you are entitled to a refund from any other revenue type (e.g., a proprietorship
GST/HST account) during the period you owe taxes, we may take it and apply
your refund to your income tax debt and refund any balance to you.

If you disagree with, or if you do not understand an assessment or a
reassessment, you should contact your tax services office immediately for an
explanation. If you can provide some evidence that your assessment is
incorrect, we will suspend collection action on the portion of the assessed taxes
that you are questioning until the matter is reviewed and resolved. However, you
must immediately pay any amounts not in dispute.

FINAL WORD;

Our collection policies exist to ensure the law is fairly applied to all tax debtors.
These procedures allow us to consider each individual's financial situation. This
is an obligation we have to Canadian taxpayers, the vast majority of whom do
pay their taxes in full and on time.

That about say's it all right there Sparrow, although I feel bad about what those people are going through, but it's situations like this that shines the light on this very forum, lots of advice was given on this forum in advising members to put money aside for just this very thing, great advice given for the very sake of helping each other out, one example of many that shows how helpful this site really is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 17:01

trooper wrote:The biggest headache for me with regards to the Law suit was by far the CRA.
As a matter of fact, for me it was the only headache.

Sparrow, the way I understand it when you owe money to the CRA is first they will give you the option to go on a payment plan.
If you refuse to enroll into this payment plan, and do not pay them, they will garnish any refunds going forward from your taxes until the total outstanding balance which will include interest is payed, they also can dip into your government pensions " garnishment " without any difficulty, and with no remorse whatsoever.

That was my understanding as well but what was being posted on Sisip facebook page is that CRA was not allowing folks to have the payment plan but rather insisting they pay in full, get a personal loan or else they will freeze their assets. I was surprised to hear this but also I have no doubt what was being posted was true. Very disturbing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 16:28

triple t I understand your concerns the same concernes I have myself . yes mine was finalized I triple checked the numbers and they all seem good . the thing is I don't trust those frackers so I took 25% of what was left and put that into GIC,s just for this reason . the rest I considered mine and did what I wanted with it . if this is something that's to late for you to do right now maybe you can put a little bit away every now and again to help elevate your concern . even if they don't come back at you it wouldn't hurt to have something put away.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 16:12

The biggest headache for me with regards to the Law suit was by far the CRA.
As a matter of fact, for me it was the only headache.

Sparrow, the way I understand it when you owe money to the CRA is first they will give you the option to go on a payment plan.
If you refuse to enroll into this payment plan, and do not pay them, they will garnish any refunds going forward from your taxes until the total outstanding balance which will include interest is payed, they also can dip into your government pensions " garnishment " without any difficulty, and with no remorse whatsoever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 15:14

Triple T, I have read on Sisip facebook page of CRA agents telling Vets to get personal loans to pay back the amount owed or else they will freeze accounts and garnish income. This seems to not be a random comment on the facebook page as others who owe money are having a difficult time making arrangements to make a repayment schedule with CRA as they seem to want their money yesterday. The uncertainty as you say on being reassessed years down the road is very scary.

Back to top Go down

Post by TripleT Fri 19 Dec 2014, 08:45

Saw another video clip of Harper going on about how he is going to "balance the budget and reduce the deficit". I for one believe he will do it..."at the expense of not only veterans, but all Canadians"! He has waged a campaign to cut funds accross the board, affecting nearly all government departments. The SISIP debacle and the subsequent nightmare with the Canada Revenue Agency has left a huge sour taste in my mouth. Month's of fear and uncertainty replaced temporarily with some semblance of relief once my taxes were finalized!!????? Now I am once again fearful of CRA's incompetance in general. I have read every article and story I could get my hands on with respect to CRA, and it literally scares me to think that in 2, 3, 4 years from now, my income taxes will be re-assessed and some dough head will decide that I owe money...not that THEY made an error, but now it is up to me to prove that THEY did. I "do not " understand this onslaught of tax forms they are hurling at me right now, and I could not even begin to defend myself if a reassessment resulted in a negative decision. I am reminded of a video clip that I found on you tube that involved an interview with a CRA Auditor/whistleblower. The part where he would recieve literally piles of previously completed taxes with the instructions to "find more money"! They had a quota to fill in order to get their fricken "bonuses" for performance.

No...I'm sorry to say, it would be extremely naive if one should think for one minute that their ordeal with the CRA is over once they get their 2013 taxes completed.

TripleT
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 19:01

SISIP took over ten to settle the fallout from this settlement will continue up until 2014/2015 when all our income tax issues should be sorted out. I see an end to the situation but I honestly wish all of you a continued success and keep the chins up troops, after all we had waded in bigger piles of dung in our lives this be just a puddle. Merry Christmas and for GOD sakes GO LEAFS GO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 17:20

Nice to see you froggie ~ spouse and I were also reassessed and audited by CRA recently as well. I think next year we will be red flagged again. I also empathize with your DVA situation and know what it feels like to see the brown envelope of doom. Try to keep the faith.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 08:27

Merry Christmas, froggie! I have been reassessed three times since the income tax fiasco, lol

Back to top Go down

Will this SISIP fiasco ever end??? Empty Will this SISIP fiasco ever end???

Post by froggie2u36 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 07:09

Good morning all ,i needed to voice my anger and frustration as its not been a great week like so many others....So here goes.On Monday we go get the mail and have a letter from VAC which was about a condition hubby had put an application for in Feb of this year.It was for IBS anyway he was denied.Even though their military doctors( passed away now) states in print it still wasn't good enough.To sit here and watch him get worse (from Sept to now he has lost 30 lbs ).Nothing like stomping on a veteran when he is down.Anyway i guess we move forward cant even appeal the decision.Reason given in his med docs while on ship nothing was written about his IBS. Then on Weds he gets a letter from CRA that out of the blue they have reassessed his file and he owes more frigging money. OMF how much more will they take .We paid what we owed way back when we got our bill .Really didn't think months later we would be getting another frigging bill.Really hope its the end.Money surely didn't buy us happiness in this case.Nor did it give him his health back.But it has given us a migraine!
  Merry Christmas everyone.Hope each and everyone of you has a super great new year!! God Bless

froggie2u36
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down