Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, announces 'veteran-centric' approach

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, announces 'veteran-centric' approach - Page 2 Empty Re: Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, announces 'veteran-centric' approach

Post by Rifleman Fri 23 Jan 2015, 18:22

BLAH,BLAH,BLAH can you tell its election year lets see some actions instead of verbal hog wash then and only then you might get my vote

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, announces 'veteran-centric' approach - Page 2 Empty Re: Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, announces 'veteran-centric' approach

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jan 2015, 18:21

It is a matter of time, very little time.

He say's he wants to listen to all Veterans - let's give him the chance.

With respect to policy change, it is now up to him to convince his boss what changes need to be implemented in order to regain the respect of Veterans.

Let's see what happens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jan 2015, 18:16

yes he did say that but will he meet with them and listen in an effective manner where it could have an effect on policy direction???? say in a stakeholders meeting ON PUBLIC RECORD ????

its not hard for him and other tory MP,s like hawn to go listen to groops around the county and say vets say they would like to see this political parties have been doing that forever .

id like to see that conversation on record so that I don't have to take his word for what he here'd.

but then again when and where it matters the voices opposed to his parties views will not be here'd but a civi run organization WILL BE.

veteran-centric my butt

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jan 2015, 18:00

He said that his first few Weeks were spent listening and meeting with veterans and advocates from across the country,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jan 2015, 17:56

who the frack is he listening to ?????

lets see first thing Is first lets get rid of the organizations that will say stuff I don't want to listen to.

ok now I can follow that by saying I will listen .

talk about framing the debate before it starts .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jan 2015, 17:24

I am impressed with what Mr. O'Toole has stated in his speech today to the Rotary Club in Toronto.

He states that he has been  listening to Veterans, that is exactly what we need, we need our MVA to hear what Veterans are saying, he also say's that he has come  to the conclusion that veterans ought to come first.
This to me is definitely a good thing, if this is the approach he is going to continue with going forward, I welcome that.

He has also acknowledged that the previous approach was not always in the best interests of veterans.
Again, a good thing, and good on him for saying that.

He also say's that disagreements politically or among veterans or among advocacy organizations, let's agree to do that respectfully and show care and compassion to those who have served us.
Again, a good thing.

I would say that listening is the first step, and in my opinion, if one is listening to what Veterans are saying, the next step would be for the MVA to bring whatever it is that Veterans are saying to the PM.
This I think is what was lacking in the past, the MVA has to understand our issues, and the MVA has to be able to bring these issues along with a plan to the PM. The MVA has to bring issues to the PM in a clear and understandable way, if the PM chooses not to support the MVA, at least, the MVA has done his job, and not much will change for Veterans if the PM chooses not to support the MVA.
Perhaps, our previous MVA could not bring our issues to the PM in a way that was clear and understandable.    

In closing, I think the MVA's speech today is a good first step, I know some will say, we heard it all before, the house sits again on Monday, and the government is expected to respond to recommendations in dealing with improvements to the NVC by Friday Jan 30th.
So we will wait and see how this unfolds.

Back to top Go down

Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, announces 'veteran-centric' approach - Page 2 Empty Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, announces 'veteran-centric' approach

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jan 2015, 16:30

'The veteran has to be at the centre of everything we do,' new minister says.

Erin O'Toole, Canada's new veterans affairs minister, has announced a new three-point "veteran-centric" plan for 2015, part of the government's renewed efforts to mend a fractured relationship with its servicemen and women.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper appointed O'Toole, a retired air force officer and first-time MP, to replace the embattled Julian Fantino on Jan.

"What is necessary as minister of veterans affairs has been listening and coming up with a plan, and today I'm going to share with you a few reflections on my first few weeks listening and meeting with veterans and advocates from across the country," O'Toole said in a speech to a crowd of current and former servicemen and women at the Rotary Club of Toronto.

O'Toole said he spent the first three weeks of his new mandate on a "listening tour" across the country and came to the conclusion that veterans ought to come first.

"The veteran has to be at the centre of everything we do and their family."

O'Toole acknowledged the previous approach was not always in the best interests of veterans.

"I want to create an informed and respectful dialogue about the opportunities and challenges facing our veterans," he said.

"In the last few years, we haven't always seen that, and that's not serving veterans."

Fantino, O'Toole's predecessor, was heavily criticized for a testy meeting with veterans early last year and for refusing to speak with the wife of a veteran who pursued him down a hallway in Parliament.

"Even when there's disagreements politically or among veterans or among advocacy organizations, let's agree to do that respectfully and show care and compassion to those who have served us," O'Toole said.

He said the government's three-point plan includes:

A "veteran-centric" approach to policy and programming.
A "seamless integration" with the Canadian Forces.
Creating "a culture that strives for service excellence."

John McCallum, the Liberal MP for Markham-Unionville, was in the crowd to hear O'Toole speak alongside Leona Alleslev, the Liberal candidate for Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill.

In a telephone interview with CBC News after O'Toole's speech, McCallum said that "O'Toole's heart is in the right place," but there was no substance or new policy announced in his speech.

The government has come under much criticism from some veterans and advocacy groups for closing regional offices for veterans and for a lack of mental-health services to veterans.

McCallum said O'Toole's speech did not address any of those concerns.

Angry veterans group have said they would rally against the Conservatives during the next election campaign.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-o-toole-veterans-affairs-minister-announces-veteran-centric-approach-1.2929728

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum