Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book of Remembrance: Names missing

2 posters

Go down

Book of Remembrance: Names missing Empty Re: Book of Remembrance: Names missing

Post by Dove96 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 09:36

Thank you, whether these names are included or not we will continue to remember.
I will also continue to pass on the note from my curator to have the book updated as it is an incomplete record as it stands.
The book is meant to be a record for posterity. Descendants or not these names deserve to included in a book meant to record our fallen soldiers.
When I stand at the cenotaph on Nov 11 and the names of the fallen are read I do not think of relatives or relationships, I think of their sacrifice for our country.

Last edited by Dove96 on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 09:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word)
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Book of Remembrance: Names missing Empty Re: Book of Remembrance: Names missing

Post by bigrex Wed 25 Mar 2015, 09:03

Dove, I applaud your initiative, but if your goal is to honour and remember these nine young men, then I feel that you have succeeded that far more at the museum, than having their names in the "Book" ever could. The book contains countless names of men from long ago conflicts, many of whom were too young to have started families before going to war. These young men have been forgotten, with no record of their deeds, beyond the fact that they died in war. But your nine, are remembered, even if just locally, for who they were and what they have done for Canada, even before it was Canada. So, in that, I would take great pride in knowing that you were keeping their memory alive, every time someone walks through the museum.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Book of Remembrance: Names missing Empty Book of Remembrance: Names missing

Post by Dove96 Wed 25 Mar 2015, 08:44

I volunteer at the Fort Erie/Ridgeway Museum and this email was sent to me by the Administrator/curator, Jane Davies.
The request is heartfelt, the remembrance/reverence of the soldiers/battles still resonate. The omission of these brave soldiers from the Book of Remembrance must be corrected.
No one should be forgotten.

"Dear friends of Ridgeway and Fort Erie,

As many of you know the 1866 battle in Ridgeway, where nine men lost their lives, was the catalyst to Confederation. The Federal Government has a "Book of Remembrance" in which fallen soldiers' names are recorded. These nine soldiers who died at Ridgeway have been omitted from that book. I am writing to ask if you would please e-mail or call the Minister of Veterans Affairs to ask that they be included.

The 1867 political beginning of our country is celebrated each year on Canada Day. However, the deaths of these nine soldiers in 1866 led to the formation of our country and that should be recognized as well. Their names deserve to be in the "Book of Remembrance". Their sacrifice should not be forgotten.

This issue is currently being considered by the Federal government and without public support, it may fail.
Please forward this e-mail to your contact list and express your support directly to:

The Hon. Erin O'Toole
Minister of Veterans Affairs
Bowmanville Constituency Office
54 King Street East, Unit 103
Bowmanville, Ontario L1C 1N3

Telephone / toll free: 1-866-436-1141
Email: Erin.OToole@parl.gc.ca

Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15