Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

+14
rucksack031
beleaf67
prawnstar
loggie
RCNRetired
Rifleman
Recon031
Dannypaj
Nemo
pinger
BinRat
bigrex
Teentitan
18 posters

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) - Page 2 Empty Re: Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Post by Teentitan Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:24

6608 because you made the application for ELB under the NVC and were denied because of your LTD you automatically qualify for the RISB.

I'm in the same boat as you. Too much LTD but still enrolled in NVC/ELB so I will get the RISB at 65.

So if ANYONE knows a vet only on SISIP/LTD get them to apply for ELB so they get RISB at 65.

Or if you know a CF soldier about to be medically released get them to apply for ELB under the NVC and not just take the LTD/SISIP.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) - Page 2 Empty Re: Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Post by pinger Thu 30 Jul 2015, 08:28

Thanks for that link 6608, you post some real gems. Also in that link, it defines very clearly WHAT the prescribed sources are for the purposes of calculating the A/B/C variables, very helpful.

As some of this is geared for those that are SISIP/LTD med. released, myself I was a straight voluntary release shy of 5 years but applied and got approved pdq on DVA's PA books soon after. In the year 2525... oops 2025, I'll miss the July 1 date by months. So as far as RISB goes, I really don't know if I'm very lucky, or very unlucky. Oh well, I always liked newfie steak...  pinger.

Last edited by pinger on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 08:55; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Wed 29 Jul 2015, 22:49

Pinger, it appears to be back in the new regulations though:

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2015/2015-07-29/html/sor-dors197-eng.php

"Retirement income security benefit
The new section of the Regulations entitled “Retirement Income Security Benefit” supports the RISB provisions of the NVC by prescribing information necessary to administer and calculate the benefit.

Given the similarity in benefits between VAC and the Service Income Security Insurance Plan–Long Term Disability (SISIP–LTD), and the fact that some veterans may have chosen to receive their benefit solely through SISIP–LTD, the Regulations provide a RISB eligibility to the SISIP–LTD veterans who have reached 65 years of age on or after April 1, 2006, but before July 1, 2025. The date of July 1, 2025, will provide sufficient time for all current and future CAF veterans to be made aware of the RISB and be enrolled in VAC programs."

I don't really understand their reasoning above. plus SISIP has always been first payer you don't really have a choice even if your getting NVC benefits as well. I was told i was eligible though for ELB but because i was getting SISIP ...........  

Cheer's
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 29 Jul 2015, 18:11

What happened to the turning 65 before July 1, 2025 part? pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jul 2015, 20:03

LMAO yup great thing but they saved themselves a small fortune by changing the language . they added the " AND " after " Having turned 65 " as I hinted in the first post to this thread .
yup that means a lot of fracking people .

kind of sorry I posted that now. frack kinda hopin they would glace over that one .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 11 Jul 2015, 15:39

I'm sorry, but these bureaucrats are paid very good money, to come up with these policy criteria. So if we can spot the glaring problem immediately, they should have been able to see it as well. I mean, they obviously put enough thought into that date, that they were able to explain to teen their reasoning for it, and even said that they had extended to cut off date, at some point. Who knows, maybe the cut off was intentional, and hoped that it would not be caught. After all, if nobody complains, it must mean we accept it, and it costs them less money, in the end.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jul 2015, 14:44

I had mentioned that to my cm and a day later an April from Charottletown called and said it was an over sight. I replied Never, Ever, Ever do that again! Inform Otoole next time I won't attend his barbecue, !

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:59

Obviously somebody at VAC was listening to the criticism, and realized that their logic for the cut off date was flawed. The criteria for a disability benefit means that the Veteran would have to be an existing VAC client, regardless if they were getting SISIP or ELB.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Sat 11 Jul 2015, 09:16

Well it seems VAC changed their minds on the 2025 cut off date for the SISIP people this is what is now posted on their website as of today............interesting

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/financial/retirement-income-security-benefit

Retirement Income Security Benefit
The Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) is a monthly taxable benefit.
This benefit tops up a Veteran’s total annual income to at least 70% of what he or she received in financial benefits from VAC before age 65.
Survivors may also be eligible for this benefit.
Eligibility details
Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces who:
*have reached age 65, and;
*are eligible for a disability benefit, and;
*were eligible for the Earnings Loss Benefit at the age of 65 as a result of being totally and permanently incapacitated, or;
*were eligible for SISIP LTD on or after April 1, 2006.
Survivors:
*who are no longer eligible for Earnings Loss; or
*of Veterans who were eligible for RISB.
What you need before you start
Veterans Affairs Canada will contact Veterans and survivors who appear to be eligible for this benefit.
If you have not been contacted and feel you meet the eligibility criteria, please contact us.

Cheer's
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 08 Jul 2015, 23:52

Problems arise when benefits legislation leaves things open to interpretation. One possible scenario is a Veteran who is 50 years old this year, is getting a disability pension and PIA, but no longer gets an actual ELB payment because he has been reinstated on SISIP, after the lawsuit. When he turns 65, he could be denied the RISB, because when he turns 65, it is after 2025. And even though he had been approved for EELB at one time, a VAC employee could interpret the fact that he hasn't received an ELB payment, or completed the semi annual medicals, as no longer being eligible.

So, IMO, the only appropriate eligibility wording should say:

- Having turned 65, and
- Entitled to Earning Loss Benefit up to age 65, or
- Entitled to SISIP LTD, up to age 65, if turning 65 after April 1st, 2006, and
- Entitled to a VAC Disability Benefit (disability pension or award).

And another problem, even though the website lists SISIP recipients as being entitled, it is not actually included in the legislation OR the budget. So unless they introduce new legislation, they cannot legally extend RISB to SISIP recipients, especially backdated to 2006. And I thought O'toole talked about extending the RISB to those Veterans who were collecting the CFIS, which also ends at 65, but it is also not in the legislation.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Wed 08 Jul 2015, 21:29

I received multiple letters from the office of the MVA. I would like to believe the MVA took my letters seriously, but after I read it / them, I highly doubt the response I got would be from him........I just can't prove it.

What I did note was that the blue ink signatures were identical as they were signed electronically.

I am posting this because I want everyone to be aware his letters might not be drafted or signed by him even though his name is on the bottom.

It is terrible to be the way I am.......Sanctuary Trauma I suppose..... to protect myself.......I don't trust anyone and I find conspiracies everywhere.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 08 Jul 2015, 20:13

6608. Tx for posting that.

Cheer's back to you. pinger
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 15:09

What i find interesting with the whole line “who turned age 65 between April 1, 2006 and July 1, 2025 and who were eligible for SISIP LTD total disability benefits at that time; and” posted on VAC website July 1st seems to be added at the last minute, all other RISB eligibility criteria is the exact same as written in bill c-58 and subsequently bill c-59. almost like sisip people were an after thought? yes the regulations when published might shed more light on this situation and they too are taking longer than normal to publish.

what also seems to be adding to the confusion/uncertainty for the sisip ltd people is a conversation between a veteran and the minister on his facebook page back on June 27th see below:
https://www.facebook.com/erinotoolecpc

Clayton Burton Mostly smoke and mirrors. Been trying for moths to get clarification and an answer regarding RISB and those permanently disabled veterans getting SISIP LTD instead of ELB. I even sent the minister a registered letter and he got someone from VAC who knew less than I did. Some after complaining to him directly, he sends me a letter to contact the Minister of National Defence. Even the media tried to get an answer and he keeps avoiding the question. I've given up on him, his efforts and his government.
4 · 27 June at 07:04

Erin O'Toole Clayton - SISIP is a DND run insurance program like many workplace long-term disability programs. It is not a VAC program even though many Veterans receive SISIP payments and programming. We are trying to get VAC programming and support started earlier - in the 3+ years CAF members are at a JPSU before release - and this will require coordination with SISIP and other programs. The RISB just passed and will be law in July. Since it applies at 65, more and more people will be eligible as they get older. Is this clear? You have to be willing to listen and try and understand the policy approach. I have done countless interviews on each of the new benefits and have not avoided a single question. More work to do, but I find too often people hear what they want to hear.
2 · 27 June at 07:12

Clayton Burton I heard what I heard. I was in constant contact with CBC when they asked you this same question and you didn't answer it and went around it. They emailed me back and stated that you once again avoided the question. They even went back and reviewed the transcripts and emailed me your answer, word by word. You politicians are good at avoiding questions. If this is a DVD insurance program, why in the world am I as a permanently disabled veteran receiving SISIP LTD treated differently than those veterans receiving ELB? Once again, helping a few and still leaving many disabled veterans behind. We all should be treated equally. So why at 65 should I be put in a position where I gave to make some serous and unwanted decisions because my monthly disability payment was terminated but if I were receiving ELB, I wouldn't have to worry about it. When disabled vets need the support the most, this government takes it away. I wasn't at JPSU before my release. I was released from the same unit I was working at the 6 years prior. So my question again is, are permanently disabled veterans getting SISIP LTD instead of ELB eligible for RISB when they reach the age of 65? You've been working on this for a while now and sure you can answer it. A year old can say yes or no if he or she knew the answer. So is it yes or no? Plus this is what's in the 2015 budget, it is correct or just something to make us think we are?

Economic Action Plan 2015 confirms funding to create a new Retirement Income
Security Benefit for moderately to severely disabled veterans who receive income
replacement under the Earnings Loss Benefit or the Service Income Security
Insurance Plan. This new benefit will provide additional financial security by
guaranteeing that the income of eligible recipients after age 65 does not fall below
70 per cent of pre-65 income provided through National Defence’s Service Income
Security Insurance Plan and through Veterans Affairs Canada’s Earnings Loss
Benefit, Permanent Impairment Allowance and Permanent Impairment Allowance Supplement.

Come on Erin, stop playing with our minds and make things simple. I wrote you a 3 page registered letter in search for a one word answer of Yes or No. Instead, you got a lady from VAC to call me that knew less than I did. So I contacted you and you finally responded by letter and once again didn't answer the question and told me to contact the Minister of National Defence.

It seems like the answer is no and you don't want to say so for it will look bad. You and this slack government is willing to help a few (those receiving ELB) and turn your backs on many disabled veterans (receiving SISIP LTD) because they're receiving an insurance payment from a DVD program. Just trying to make the average non-military Canadian think this government cases about our veterans in hopes they'll vote for your government.
It's time to wake up, I like so many other permanently disabled veterans who can't work deserve better and must be treated like other veterans who are in the same situation but receiving ELB. We all have the same sorta issues, similar needs, same release process and fought for the same country. We all should be treated equally according to our needs. I'm happy with the support I'm currently receiving (except for the very poor telephone support) but very fearful for when I reach the age of 65.
I'm a veteran, no longer a serving military member and should be treated just like any other permanently disabled veteran and should be in receipt of ELB, not a damn DND insurance program. Both VAC and the ombudsman's office told me that I qualify for ELB but can't receive if because I'm receiving SISIP LTD. How can I convert over? Oh, I can't because that would make me eligible for RISB when I turn 65 and you don't want me and many other veterans to do that because you would have to pay out more money. You may be thinking that I'm upset, and you are correct. I can't believe that a man in your position can't give a simple and straightforward answer and that you have two classes of permanently disabled veterans when the smallest group will have continuing financial support after the age of 65 where the largest group is in receipt of a DND insurance and when we reach 65, too back but we ain't supporting you anymore.
You can take this post as you wish but I'm speaking for many disabled veterans like myself and expressing how fit up we are with this government dividing us into two classes and helping a few and turning your backs on most of us.

A disabled veteran is a disabled veteran, and we should be treated equally.
3 · 27 June at 08:21

Clayton Burton Had a lady from VAC call today and gave me some better explanation than I've been or haven't been provided in the past. None of this will support my family or I, the new PIA requirements may work.
June 30 at 1:38am · Edited

Not really a “veteran centric” response above minister................. All of this does seem strange seeing back in 2011-2012 when ELB was increased to 42k (min) they didn’t have a issue coordinating and implementing/announcing changes with SISIP Ltd at the same time.

Cheer’s
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 08 Jul 2015, 14:30

The way I read it is one must, as with all VAC benefits, "qualify". So a SISIP client must apply to see if he qualifies.

It could be a moot point but qualifing is required for ELB. Right?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jul 2015, 13:02

The way I'm reading it so far, Bigrex and Propat could be right. "Qualified to receive" is not equal to "in receipt of" where one benefit is a prerequisite of another.

Mentally managing the convolutions of regulations is like herding feral cats.

I'm so confused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next