Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OUR GOC IS AT IT AGAIN! If you have children under 17, pls read

+3
Teentitan
bigrex
Kramer
7 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

OUR GOC IS AT IT AGAIN! If you have children under 17, pls read Empty Re: OUR GOC IS AT IT AGAIN! If you have children under 17, pls read

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 14:38

Teen = my hero!

I'm buried under so much paperwork that I would have never figured out where to start looking... and my senility doesn't help.

Back to top Go down

OUR GOC IS AT IT AGAIN! If you have children under 17, pls read Empty Re: OUR GOC IS AT IT AGAIN! If you have children under 17, pls read

Post by Teentitan Mon 27 Jul 2015, 14:30

The CF pension office 1-800-267-0350 would be the place to start.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 14:06

I should have done that.
Unfortunately, it was deposited earlier today. Not sure if it will make a difference in my case or not.

- Making a note to inquire about doing that for future payments.

Since we are on the topic: Who would I contact to have a larger portion of CF pension withheld?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 27 Jul 2015, 13:53

I don't have kids so I'm not sure if this is available. There should be a phone number on the info of your UCC benefit. I suggest you call and ask who you should call to get tax taken off your UCCB before it is deposited into your bank account.

Like tfmm said you can do it with CPP D so can't see why not for UCCB.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 13:46

Any gov benefit/bonus should be taxed at source according to most recent base year figures. It's not like they don't have access to that information.
OR, at least have the option to opt-in for tax at source the way you can with CPP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:17

Ha!
Even counting the childcare credit as income, I'm still below the poverty line.

Never been so happy to be poor LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:09

tfmm, The way I understand it is, the UCCB is classified as income, so when you go to do your taxes, it will count towards your overall income. So if you normally earn $30000/year, your tax burden will be roughly $4720 here in NS. But add on the UCCB for your two kids (if both over 6), your overall income then becomes $31440, meaning that you will now automatically owe an additional $430 in unpaid taxes. That's not too bad, but imagine if you were a young couple with 3 kids under 6. They will owe more in additional taxes, than they were paid for one of their children.

I understand the need to tax the benefit, but by not deducting the appropriate taxes at source, they have unfairly added to the Canadian families tax burden, because most will not put enough, if any, aside for the eventual tax bill. They have already proven that many Canadians are unable to save for retirement, so how is saving for a tax payment any different. They will spend the money when it comes in. Then once they do their taxes, and owe that money, they will never get ahead unless they are capable of paying off what they owe to CRA, at the same time as saving money for their next tax bill. All I can say is, that the Tories are lucky that the election is going to happen before people have to include the UCCB in their taxes for the first time, or they would never have a chance of getting reelected.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:08

Oops... Just re read the comments.. I see you were talking about 2 different politicians.

I'm a little slow sometimes.. but get there eventually.

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:08

Just to let you know tfmm as the official oppostion party Mr. Stoffer must be briefed on all changes to the NVC, all new benefits, and any programs.

The info is there for him. As for doing research if vets can find it so can he. He has a staff to do the research for him to help him answer questions of discuss topics.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 11:01

Maybe that's why he appears to want to run... He'd rather research and prepare before commenting?

I live down the street from Darrel Dexter, and was disappointed when he stepped down from his position in Nova Scotia.
He's is genuinely a good person, and made a career of fighting for the 'little guy'.
He reminded me of Joe Clark.
Too bad politics has no place for honest men (and women).

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 27 Jul 2015, 10:35

I have met Mr. O'Toole a few times and have had a variety of conversations with him. Compared to other Ministers I have met over the years he at first puzzled me. Then I realized what was puzzling me....he means what he says. He is genuine and sometimes he forgets he's the MVA because in a crowd of vets he acts like a vet. He understands most if not all the problems vets face and I have found out he is one of the creators of True Patriot Love before he even thought of running as a MP.

I've met a lot of oppostion MP's as well and Mr. Stoffer is probably the most caring one. But he has also been the most cold one as well. I get the impression that if he does not understand the topic he would rather run then learn. He has also made some comments to both the Chief Editor of VVi and myself that has left us stunned. Comments we both felt he should not have made. But what's an MP that doesn't step into his own foot?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 08:56

I've been NDP for decades, and I understand string theory (basically), but I have never understood how the GOC gets away with even half of what they do.

I can't complain overly much since my VA decision, but clawing back the recent childcare benefit through taxes really cheeses me off.

My children don't qualify for PSHC because Immigration still hasn't been settled (they were born while posted), and so they don't have SINs. A Social Insurance number isn't needed while a member or vet is alive, but are needed for PSHC once the member passes.
We were living below the poverty line and finally started to receive pharmacare a couple of years ago.. good thing, because 2 of my kids are special needs and meds were costing almost 1000 per month at one point.

After getting pharmacare, we had CPP withhold a third each month just so we would have enough cash back at tax time for things like glasses, dentists, and braces. It was our way of ensuring enough annual savings on a tight budget. It never was enough, so with the VA decision my daughter can finally get her $10,000 braces.

Anyway my point is, plenty of other people save the same way, and will be blindsided if the amount is enough to make a difference at tax time.
*** Does the clawback come directly from a refund amount, or does it count as income? I'll have to read the original post again.

And if you guys think VA has a lot of red tape.. try Immigration. Wink

I'm going to have a lawyer take over the paperwork, now that I can afford it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 07:19

good points bigrex and teen im kinda thinking you are both correct . will these frackers flip ????sure they will . they always do first issue right out of the gate is normal for them . but im thinking stoffer will get some leeway 2nd issue 3rd issue who knows but I think he will get some.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 07:11

pinger I don't think otool is as bad as he may appear to some I mean at heart . im sure the guys do have many chats . phone and email are one thing as im sure what otool can say is limited . but when talking face to face you can see the body language . so just guessing here but during those face to face conversations I think stoffer can pick up an exasperated shake of the head or shrug of toe shoulders or what not to mean --- hey brother there is frack all I can do.

just guessing mind you .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 26 Jul 2015, 21:31

MVA O'Toole should have good chats with Peter Stoffer...
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next