Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vets ombudsman reappointed by Tories

+3
bigrex
pinger
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vets ombudsman reappointed by Tories Empty Re: Vets ombudsman reappointed by Tories

Post by pinger Mon 24 Aug 2015, 17:38

I hear you wild thing. Forget the volume. I just shyte-can the radio if I can drive at all.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Vets ombudsman reappointed by Tories Empty Re: Vets ombudsman reappointed by Tories

Post by Guest Mon 24 Aug 2015, 17:24

Sorry Pinger don't lie!!! but I can swear with the best of them. My point was, to fked up to even apply for employment. I am qualified for high paying employment just to fked up to take advantage of the training I received on my own dine. Sisip refused to retrain me for gainful employment upon release x-ray tech suitable for my medical condition no doubt would still be working today if they had not acted in bad faith making threats and ignoring their own policy. had to find work using my old qualifications which finished me off! No chance for any employment opportunities now in any field. Physically fked, mentally fked, when you have trouble adjusting the volume on the truck radio your fucked up. I need a new veh with vol on steering wheel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Aug 2015, 14:38

no pinger not my thing im a clock tower kinda guy . no screaming al least from me just me my best friend and of course my second best friend ( my spotter monkey ).

lmao

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Mon 24 Aug 2015, 14:05

wild thing. you wrote " how do you apply for work and put on your resume may not be able to work most days . . . ".
Well, you don't put that on your resume. You lie, at least that's what I did. I omitted injuries many times, yup. Fitter than a fiddle and good to go, I'd get hired, suffer pain hide it and I was making ends meet more than on a welfare dime. Sad scenario.
It comes back to haunt you in physical spades though . . . had to cut my losses before getting taken out on a fracking stretcher. But to each their own, ya gotta do watcha gotta do.

Now propat...??? With all this fricking and fracking with teen.
Q: Did you really have a screaming shyte fit in the peace tower?
Because hell... I gotta put that one on my bucket list... pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2015, 19:43

very true wild thing but you forgot the senate .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2015, 19:39

You are bang on Bigrex that is a fact not to take away from the persons pain and suffering but in some cases amputees are more mobile than a lot of vets that dont qualify for pia. their days are pretty standard where some of us dont know if we will be able to walk tomorrow or not. It is hard to plan anything cause you never know day to day hour to hour. We have multiple injuries but va/vrab make sure through policy we dont qualify. how do you apply for work and put on your resume may not be able to work most days and may have to leave work at any time during the day and cannot do physical labour or concentrate but need a pay check. The only job you can get with them restrictions allowed is begging on the street corner.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 23 Aug 2015, 14:28

The problem that I had with the OVO's myth busting report, was how it almost almost assumed that everyone who were complaining about the lump sum, were also entitled to these other benefits, which they are not. There are probably a thousands of Veterans out there, assessed at 40-70% disabled, and unable to work more than part time if at all, that will not get any additional supports, because they are not considered severely disabled. Yet somebody who lost a leg, and can still run marathons using a prosthetic, is entitled to PIA, because of the amputation. PIA should be based on how much the disability actually affects your life, and not based on some perceived notion of who should be affected more.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2015, 13:44

Teen, you may or may not feel the same as I do but some questions I have regarding the mandate of the OVO.

What is the point of even having an OVO if the OVO is being totally controlled by the government in what he can say an recommend ?

Would it not be fair to say that this control by the government to the OVO results in being one sided in favor of the government ?

If the OVO is being handcuffed by the government , one has to ask - or wonder what the governments intentions are here ?

The OVO should not have to worry about cleaning out his office for speaking on behalf of both sides ?

Yes it is true that the OVO has done some great things for Veterans , but these great things were allowed only because he was allowed by the one side , who made sure that they accompanied the credit , the one side controlled it every step of the way , it ends up again being one sided , yes Veterans spoke for change , yes the OVO recommended change , yes the government moved on changes but it still ends up being one sided , the changes affected few Veterans , the changes did not include the major issues which in turn results in very little being accomplished , all this because it is one sided.
This all because they would not allow the OVO to challenge the lump sum in fear of losing his job ?
Don't get me wrong , it is not the OVO that's at fault here , it is the ones controlling the OVO who stand in his way of doing his job.

Again , the OVO is suppose to be neutral of both parties , how can he accomplish this when one side is in total control of him ?

With respect to the lump sum issue , the issue is Veterans wanting it reverted back to a life long pension , to put it bluntly this would allow for more security for Veterans in the long haul.
Raising the amounts , stating that there's more benefits other then the lump sum has nothing to do with it.
They simply are asking for it to be reverted back in the way it use to be , but like I said they , the present government has made it crystal clear that they will not be changing it in that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2015, 13:08

ya teen I only kind of get why he said those things THEY WAY he said them .

ill explain ; I get the facts to do the best for vets he has to keep his job in order to do that.

all or most of us combat vets get that.

the thing is we don't remember that feeling .

this is hard to explain so please bear with me pleas .

we cant understand or connect with the civilian mindset when it comes to some issues . we know we must have felt the way they did in the past but really don't recall those feelings . we don't feel that way and probably never will.

ya see some of us did the right thing at a time when they knew that could kill them some did this many times . for myself on two of these occasions I didn't see anyway I would survive but I did what I knew had to be done anyway . yup the first time I hesitated im guessing for 2 secs but seemed like 2 hours .yes I was wrong still breathing for some reason. being wrong after the fact didn't change that feeling at the time.

so for these guys to see him or ANYONE not do what is right in order to keep there job for ANY reason creates a huge disconnect one that will likely not ever change .

we just do not understand the fear of loosing a job . not having an income sure . loseing a job because you did the wrong thing sure but that has more to do with actually doing something wrong than loosing some job. it a pride thing.

was saying what he said the way he said it right or wrong ?????

who fracking really knows but ive told you how I feel about it in the most respectful way I could possibly muster given my feelings on the issue . others when righting him directly over that article weeeelllll not so much. but then again my feelings may not be as strong because but for 30 days im on the PA . they missed that date and are not .

guess it just seems at times they don't really matter at all when this article first came out that was one of those time .

this particular post was not about overall right or wrong just about how some feel and why .

its hard to explain so may not make any sense whatsoever but its the only way I can think of to explain why some people feel they way they do when the read crap like that .

hope some can understand WHY all the anger.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 23 Aug 2015, 12:44

The client can receive their lump sum payment 2 ways all of it or monthly. It is their choice. I'm not 100% positive but I believe if you take it monthly you gain no interest on it. That is one of the reasons hardly no one takes monthly.

One other thing that a lot of people might forget is if your injury pays you $100K then there is a $206K balance left for consequential injuries.

For example a vet loses a leg below the knee and the wear and tear on the good knee of both leg's worsens and their hip starts to go out of alignment that is considered a consequential injury and the client is entitled to whatever percentage is left on their balance. That balance is for life.

If for some reason an injury/disease that your are pensioned for under the NVC is the cause of your death then the balance goes to your spouse or dependant as well.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 23 Aug 2015, 12:38

Teentitan - I seem to recall the last lump sum I recieved had a para with different options you could do, lump sum, or broken up. But in my head spacing I cant recall what the broken up part is, monthly, 1/2 yr? Was this new or has it always been in these letters? VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Sun 23 Aug 2015, 10:47

With Mr. Parent, at least there is no time wasted with the learning curve or getting his feet wet.

He knows many of the key players in and out of parliament.......which is a real bonus/advantage.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Sun 23 Aug 2015, 10:43

I see there is a fair bit of discussion over Lump Sum payments. The problem with having so many opinions is that they become so many voices and that make us look like we don't know what we want as a community from an outsider POV.

Correct me if I am wrong.........it appears to be mostly that some vets disagree with the lump sum in general while others feel the amount is unfair as it is not only far less than a pension but less than a civilian counterpart with the same injury/illness.

I believe the Lump Sum can be better than a pension for some depending on one's financial situation (that is if the Lump Sum were to compensate fairly).

Some are not able to manage it properly and therefore not practical.

How do we solve this dilemma...if this is even one? The Equitas Society is/was fighting for fair compensation.....but who wants what? I personally believe these discussions are very informative and useful, however I believe it equally important to be on the same page as to what we want (or at least the majority).

I am for either.......provided they are fair compensation.......and I do not believe the current Lump Sum formula, eligibility or compensation is fair.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 23 Aug 2015, 10:41

Now about Guy getting another 3 year contract and how it will impact veterans.

The OVO over the last 5 years wrote a lot of reports on VAC, NVC, VRAB and they have been somewhat embedded with the Equitas lawsuit.

With another 3 years I expect to see follow up reports on these subjects written by the original authors. Not new authors that would have come with a new Ombudsman.

VRAB is already trying to dodge the follow up report as they have appointed more veterans and health professionals then ever before. But the real indicator will be the statistics of decisions made by VRAB.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 23 Aug 2015, 10:36

A lot of the voluntary advocacy work that I do is with the OVO. When anyone here has a question I call/email the OVO to get the answer. 95% of the answers I post satisfy the individual that asked.

In my conversations with the OVO the lump sum issue comes up...a lot. Of course the OVO wants to get rid of it.

But as explained to me and as I stated the Veterans Ombudsman has to work within a mandate. This is the handcuffs on the OVO. This is what makes his articles seem he is a puppet or a sellout as his articles make it appear he is pro lump sum.

It is very difficult for the OVO to receive letters like you stated propat. They know what's wrong with the system but the handcuffs (mandate) control what they do and what they say.

But if any Veterans Ombudsman ever wants to lose the job all they have to do is go on the 5 o'clock news shows and look directly in the camera and tell the truth about the lump sum. They will be cleaning out their office the next day and the next Ombudsman will have to start from square one in gaining inter-department respect.

Stogran went off about the NVC and it took over a year for Parent to get respect for the OVO. The whole office had to swallow a lot of pride and shyte to be taken seriously again. A very difficult thing to do with a mandate that really limits what you can do.

Yes his articles/blogs are questionable but that's the way they have to be written. I have complained about his blogs too. They are to weak, one sided, not definitive enough. Then I was told take the blog as an observation of the 'big picture'...how it fits with the NVC. How close the blog came to crossing the mandate line.

So you are right propat perception is a bitch. When I did make comments I wasn't specifically talking about you they were broad brush comments about the topic and the overall opinion of the tone of the 'whole' conversation.

So I apologize and I hope the "war of words" stops here.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next