Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liberals ask 33 Harper appointees to step aside 'voluntarily'

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Liberals ask 33 Harper appointees to step aside 'voluntarily' Empty Re: Liberals ask 33 Harper appointees to step aside 'voluntarily'

Post by Ex Member Wed 09 Dec 2015, 20:26

ya big rex I get that . ive said that in the past . if he just ignored it and pretended the issue didn't exist I might not like that but I could understand that . we all new who was running the government . we all know sometimes ya got to live to fight another day .

but when I seen that in print from the OVO no less I was actually vibrating I was so angry .

yes wild thing wounded in battle in service of this government and then victimised by that same government upon return .

who do we turn to legion naaa they gotta worry about loosing there own priorities same with the MVA and the OVO nope he gotta worry about his job .

and we just don't get it because we don't understand the importance of those things not they way they do .

so we turn to each other because the big worry for us was losing our lives in an attempt to do what's right  something these cold timid souls just cant fully understand . same as us not being able to understand why these people will not do whats right for fear of loosing a job .

guess we would have to walk a mile in these guys shoes or live that kind of life to understand that .

I think a lot of us can hold my head up high and proudly say we never will.

propat

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Liberals ask 33 Harper appointees to step aside 'voluntarily' Empty Re: Liberals ask 33 Harper appointees to step aside 'voluntarily'

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 18:25

They are victims of a screwed up system we are victims of a screwed up system if they fix it life should be easier for both sides no more studies just give them the orders and say implement this and you keep your job don't waste tax payers money on a buyout just to give a political party supporter a job.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 09 Dec 2015, 17:48

Even if he had maintained neutral in regards to the lump sum vs monthly pensions, it would have been better. But instead he chose to side with the Harper government, by saying that veterans were confused and misinformed as to what they were entitled to. He said that veterans didn't need a monthly pension, because of the other benefits that were offered by the NVC, even though his own reports concluded that not very many veterans that have been injured since 2006, have been in receipt of those additional benefits, including those who had been deemed TPI by VAC. Having all of those monthly benefits available looks great, as an outsider looking at what VAC offers to disabled veterans. But when only 1 or 2 percent of disabled Veterans in the country actually qualify for any of them, it's hard to argue that they are better than the lifelong pension, for those other 99%.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Wed 09 Dec 2015, 15:10

I do not know about the VO supporting the buyout......I can only guess he supported it for what he thinks is right. The buyout can be good for some.......some might need immediate debt relief.....like right after you get clawed-back and owe literally so much money you break-down and cry, or those who are so unhealthy they may choose to spend the last of their days the best they can......it is right for some.....but not everyone.

I rarely hear of negative stuff about him in the media....that to me is huge.....this guy is a true professional, has a great command of the English language and knows the fine art of diplomacy extremely well, and that we all benefit from.

Even if the buyout is a sort spot for some, I think he deserves some slack as he has done a heck of a lot more good than bad. Everyone makes mistakes, why can't he.

The thing with politicians is that most lie and try to cover up and pretend it never happened. Not with him that I can tell.....he owns it.

When he speaks or fights for something...he tries to help everyone....but the truth is that can never happen.......no matter who the VO is......JMO

Riddick
Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 14:14

I would say without hesitation that Mr. Parent did a hell of a good job for Veterans an their Families....one just has to look at the success stories which I posted awhile back...this is a guy who went far beyond the call of duty as far as I'm concerned...I'm sure he has spent countless hours working on behalf of all of us , this I'm sure at times goes well beyond the 5:00 pm end of work day.
I have had some problems in what his position was in some of his blogs....but it is of the constructive criticism type...just like this is an opinion of mine....those blogs were of the opinion of his which all comes down to respecting each ones opinion.
Nobody's perfect an I'm sure there are mixed opinions all around but I will not attempt to take away my appreciation towards all that he has done for some of the things he wrote that I disagreed with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 13:31

im not saying be confrontational with your words . he made a lot of recommendations and was not confrontational with those words im sure he could have looked at the biggest problem by far with the NVC and simply made a recommendation at the exact same time and manner as he did the rest .

im not sure JT is scared of this guy AT ALL teen I mean JT s promises FAR outstrip ALL of this guys recommendations . even if JT has NO plans on changing the buyout this guy not only refused to recommend such changes he ACTUALLY supported the buyout their is nothing to fear from this guy.

he was not singled out for this teen he was just in a group that were appointed or reappointed just before the election so he is getting a letter just like all the rest .

hell if I were planning on reneging on the lifetime pension thing this is the one guy I would make sure never got the letter and come up with some political BS excuse why he was left off that list.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 09 Dec 2015, 13:16

One point I think you might not understand propat is it is not within the Ombudsman's mandate to make that statement.  Because he does not have the same authority/power of a real ombudsman, that is allowed to make statements like end the buyout, he can't do that.

Rather he went thur the backdoor to ending the buyout by doing an actuarial on the buyout.  He proved with numbers that the buyout was wrong and shortchanging vets.  Doing this was within his mandate.  

Same as hiring a 3rd party to review the 150+ vets that went to federal court for their pension and proved that VRAB was wrong 65% of the time in their final decision.  Led to new hiring procedures and interpretation.

I can tell you someone who has publicly slammed the buyout in the past would be more harm then good for veterans IMO.

Stogran proved you just can't be confrontational with 'words' you have to do your research and Parent has done that.  

That's why I think Parent was targeted by PMT.  Parent fights with facts not bluster in the press.

He got a 3 year extension and makes around $130K a year.  Not a large salary compared to the others.

Is PMT afraid of what Parent will do with the implementation of the lifelong pension?  Does Trudeau want a puppet in the office that does nothing?  Or is Trudeau trying to buy time for Hehr without the most informed person testifying during the Standing Committee meetings that are going to be held to bring back the lifelong pension?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:49

as much as any other recommendation he has made yes teen.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:47

Riddick I understand that and do tent to agree with a lot of that . I liked the guy for the moast pat and think he CAN do a good job . the thing is a guy that supported the buyout in the past witch ended it for me ,that was like getting stabbed in the fracking heart you probably well know how I feel about this issue, and given the fact the guys in charge of the government right now MAY MAY want to change this for the better I think this is a bad mix at this point .

someone who has publicly slamed the buyout in the past would be a better fit .

JMO

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:46

So if the Ombudsman made recommendations of ending the buyout would he have been within his mandate (power to do so)?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:37

I like him....ex-military....articulate....level-headed.

He is familiar....he knows what vets want and need and knows very well about VRAB being "UNFAIR". He is a great devil's advocate.....He started the "Town Halls" (as far as I know). He has a good number of success stories.....

If anything....test the waters......push the envelope a little....possibly slightly more aggressiveness.....

it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. He can push harder yet still be polite and courteous without needing to slam the MVA or VAC/government and remain credible.

JMO

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:32

well like I said above IF a big IF he convinces the GOC the buyout isn't a big issue that would hurt . like I said highly unlikely but don't want to take that chance with so many issues on the table right now the biggest being the buyout .

the more he could have done was recommending an end to the buyout with all the rest of his recommendations instead of coming out and publicly supporting the buyout using the same and similar wordplay as the GOC itself was using .

JMO

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:21

So how can he hurt vets and what more could he have done then?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:19

hard to say teen as it stands now I would say helped but could have done more. however if he sticks to his guns on the buyout and ends up convincing the libs this is not a big issue ( hopefully the libs will disregard anything he says on this subject ) overall his performance would not only be neutral but he would actually end up hurting vets overall .

yup it is highly unlikely he goes down that road but I for one DO NOT want to take that chance far to much at steak these days .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 09 Dec 2015, 12:01

The Ombudsman contract was to expire on Nov 11/2015

That said do you agree or disagree that his work over the last 5 years helped or did not help veterans?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next