Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Refugees find work at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Refugees find work at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre - Page 2 Empty Re: Refugees find work at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre

Post by bigrex Fri 11 Dec 2015, 08:15

Well maybe they are compensating the members who have been put out. They may have stopped collecting room and board from their pay while this is going on. But at least they have barracks for single members. Here in Halifax, you are forced to find your own accommodation. I don't even think that they are allowed to live onboard anymore, if posted to one of the ships. Even married quarters are extremely limited, having sold off probably 75%, or more, of PMQ's in the city.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Refugees find work at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre - Page 2 Empty Re: Refugees find work at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre

Post by Kramer Fri 11 Dec 2015, 07:24

I disagree.....

And so do many other Canadians as I have been hearing. Refugees and Immigrants have different criteria when entering Canada. I have no problem with others coming to country if they contribute and don't try to change Canada or Canadians.

I RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT OUR SOLDIERS IN BORDEN HAVE BEEN DISPLACED/RELOCATED TO BLACKDOWN SO THE REFUGEES CAN HAVE THE BARRACKS!!!!!! ARGGGHHH WTF........THIS IS NOT RIGHT NOR IS IT FAIR.....THESE PEOPLE HAVE DONE ABSOLUTELY SQUAT FOR CANADA AND OUR SOLDIERS ARE DOWN GRADED BECAUSE OF THEM.

TRUDEAU ERRED IF HE BELIEVES CANADIANS ARE STANDING WITH OPEN ARMS!
WE HAVE VETS, SENIORS, HOMELESS.....AND HUNGRY CHILDREN THAT NEED HELP, BUT INSTEAD HE USED HIS MAGIC WANT AND CAME UP WITH MILLIONS TO THROW IN THE AIR SO HE CAN GRAND=STAND TO THE WORLD AND SHOW-OFF.

MAN I AM TICKED AT THIS B.S.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Dec 2015, 22:27

Watched CNN Anthony Bordain parts unknown tonight on Beirut and got educated on the refugees in that Country. Our government is doing the right thing helping these people majority have fleed the assad regime as well as isis if they are sent back to syria they will be killed women to. I was ignorant before this program hope the whole country watched it attitudes will change mine sure has.

Back to top Go down

Refugees find work at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre - Page 2 Empty Refugees find work at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre

Post by Guest Wed 09 Dec 2015, 17:39

Here is something positive towards what refugees can offer to Canada an Veterans ;

Like many refugees to Canada, Christine Kayisanabo, could hardly wait to get a job and start earning her own money.

Kayisanabo came to Ontario from Rwanda in 2010, in the middle of January, greeted by snow and cold.

"But I like snow," said Kayisanabo who is now settled in Ottawa and now works full time at The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre – a long-term care facility for the elderly, including military veterans.

After a year of English classes, she started taking an evening course to become a personal service worker – aiding nursing staff and helping patients bathe, dress and eat.

For Kayisanabo, however, it's been a long journey from a homeland torn apart by civil war to a new life in Canada. She said she lost eight members of her family in Rwanda's violent genocide. An aunt in Brampton sponsored her move to Canada.

"Why I came? I have two reasons, trauma and security. Trauma, because I lost a lot of members of my family, my parents, sisters, brothers, a son of four years. It was very sad," said Kayisanabo. "And security, because the killer was free."

Kayisanabo is still very much on her own as her five grown children remain in Rwanda, but she hopes someday, they'll be able to join her.

Nine refugees working at The Perley and Rideau

Once her training as a personal support worker was complete, she decided to volunteer at the Perley and Rideau where she eventually was hired.

"In my culture, we respect old people, we like the old people," said Kayisanabo. "I compare the old people with a dictionary. They know many things."

Barbara Wilson, a supervisor at the Perley Rideau said the health centre hires people from far and wide so it's easy for people like Kayisanabo from a different culture and still learning English to fit in.

"She was the kind of person we were looking for," said Wilson who immigrated to Canada from Jamaica. "She's good with the residents, she's very thorough, has a lot of commitment. We're proud to have her here as a member of staff."

Akos Hoffer, CEO of The Perley and Rideau Veteran's Health Centre, is also a refugee who came as a child from Hungary. He's among nine former refugees who work at the centre, where 48 languages are currently spoken by residents or staff.

"We provide a safe haven for veterans and civilians when they're most vulnerable and Canada provides a safe haven for refugees," said Hoffer.

"When you get people who have been refugees and people who have been in conflict in a safe place together, they're probably pretty comfortable with one another."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/refugees-find-work-at-the-perley-and-rideau-veterans-health-centre-1.3357447

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2