Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles

+12
Rags
Rifleman
Teentitan
Dannypaj
RCN-Retired
Kramer
prawnstar
bigrex
BinRat
czerv
pinger
ceedee
16 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 7 Empty Re: Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jan 2016, 00:50

what the frack ???? now I can agree with your nombers AS I DID !!!! 75% sure ill take YOUR numbers AS I ALREADY SAID !!!! as I don't know the true numbers as OUR government hasn't really gave two flying fracks in the past to keep track .

so WHO THE FRACK insulted ANYONE ?????

there are homeless vets out there because they are suffering from problems NOT EVEN RELATED TO THE MILITARY just a fact!!!!!

seriously I agreed to the 25% having to do with peacekeeping because that was the number YOU gave me but I actually think that's lower 15% top end . but im guessing and its a big role of the dice without the proper studies around 10 % . but again a shot in the dark .

but ya know if I said this ore that WAS THE ONLY REASON for this problem or the recent increase in this problem I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE but if its there and I just cant find if I apologise for what I said as that WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE to what I intended to say .

nor have I seen ANY other post that says that IF there is please point it out I obviously missed it and would sure like to read it and possibly throw in a response .

trooper has a good point FIND THEM I get that . FIRST ??? I understand why you said that but disagree . we don't need a first or second step yada yada . we can do things simultaneously .

yes trooper I do get your point and why you said it that way just making a point that's all buds .

lets make sure they never become homeless from the get go.

at the same time sort out the ones who fell through the cracks to begin with .

yes for the guys in the past FIND THEM AND SCREEN THEM PROPERLY .

properly screen ALL members leaving the forces for ANY reason !

YA EVERYONE !!!!

if its found they have a problem caused by their service SORT THEM THE FRACK OUT PROPERLY !

if its found they have a problem NOT caused by their service point them in the right direction it doesn't take a lot to do a little research to find out who in the area has the most success treating that problem and heading them some literature and a pamphlet with an address or phone number or something and maybe even a referral pretty cheep and after their service the least they can do .

if no problem found then no problem .

and again I hate using American numbers but very few DIAGNOSED Iraqi and afghan vets that are receiving proper assistance are homeless .

BUT appoox 75% of the homeless Iraqi and afghan vets HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED by their military with PTSD and are NOT receiving ANY assistance .

yes im capitalizing diagnosed for a very good reason . because ALL cases DONT get diagnosed .

and for the third and final part its up to your own opinion .

IF you think the buyout is PROPER assistance on the compensation front then read no further .

if you think that the buyout WITCH IS FAR LESS THAN THE LEGAL CIVILIAN MINIMUM is not proper the you would have to logically conclude that part of the solution would be to ........

END THE FRACKING BUYOUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

propat

Back to top Go down

Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 7 Empty Re: Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Ex Member Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:33

I agree with every thing you's are saying the facts state at present, average age is 52 which means there is a hell of a lot of vets over the age of 52 back when there was no human rights in the military those men and women were forgotten for years and suffered horrible abuse and they are only now being recognized due to the afgan war vet's. Decades of irreversable mental abuse and neglect suffered and that is why we have to stick together for all veterans to have equal opportunity weather it be war,peace,or peace keeping saying that was caused by peace keeping is an insult for those of us who suffered by other means is what im saying did a female soldier suffer ptsd from a peace keeping mission she was on or the afgan war or was it the rape she suffered at the hands of some slimy sob in uniform on a military base in canada every soldier's story is different so let's not assume it had to be because of this or that it was because we were a soldier's who signed the dotted line and served our country and hold them accountable for the injury's all have suffered period.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:22

With regards to homeless Veterans the first step would be to find them...this has now begun an should be continued until all are found.

With regards to homeless Veteran prevention...I also agree with all the points pointed out here...they should take a serious look at going back to the old system of lifelong pension with a one time lump sum to get the Veteran on their feet...enough to get them started while waiting for their benefits to be approved.
If this doesn't suit those in charge then they should be looking at wild thing's suggestion in the automatic ELB for all those medically released.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Mon 25 Jan 2016, 09:09

I agree with all you guys! The buyout is a cop out! Really it's useless , a pension equals security and that's what all these guys need!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jan 2016, 08:28

look we may have refused to study this stuff but the Americans have been studying the crap out of this stuff for years . just google it they have loads of numbers . hate to use American stuff as it doesn't always translate but its the best I have so im going to use it .

without conflict the problem would exist people go homeless regardless it happens vet or not . so wild thing you are right a lot of the homeless would have nothing to do with a conflict and can suffer from PTSD without being in a conflict ,that I get ,not sure about the 75% number but ill role with it for now . that means that there was a 25% INCREASE in the homeless due to the conflict of that time . im guessing a lot of those were undiagnosed PTSD cases as we really didn't have a grip on the whole PTSD thing at the time .

ive personally seen them get rid of a guy with severe combat related PTSD without a diagnoses or pension or well anything at all for that matter from that era before his ten years ta boot . so return of contributions and see ya .

facts are buds conflicts increase the homeless vet problem historically speaking that's just a fact buds . and not having proper or any services and benefits for your condition greatly magnifies the problem.

so if the yougo guys or in fact ANY military from that ear had have had the proper diagnoses just that would have reduced the problem in the older vets .

but today is a brave new world because even IF you get the proper diagnoses you will still not get the proper benefits .

yes little to no afghan were injured released applied for and recived their buyout ALL within the 2006 calendar year and given the gust over 9 years this should last their should be no homeless vets from that conflict YET .

thing is that's JUST NOT THE CASE !!!

guys are still going undiagnosed and if diagnosed are burning through their buyout moneys at a faster rate than many would like to see for a variety of reasons .

so yes they are increasing the homeless problem already and have been for a few years now and will continue to increase the problem exponentially as the years go on .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 25 Jan 2016, 06:46

The lump sum may not be a main factor with all homeless Veterans, but I bet it plays a big part in the younger ones. After all, they say the "average" age is 52, meaning that you could have hundreds in their 20's and 30's, and still have a higher average age. And unless they fix it soon, the lump sum will become a more prevalent causation among the homeless, as the money gets spent, even by the most frugal of Veterans.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Mon 25 Jan 2016, 06:09

I bet 75% of those homeless now has nothing to do with peace keeping and more to do with being a POW inside Canada and by their own units and the general attitude and treatment towards their own soldiers when injured. There was a hate towards the injured that could only be matched in a pow camp the way we were treated by our regiments was sadistic and criminal there is no other way to describe it and when they were done with us we were like zombies wondering where the hell we were and  cowarding in the corner like abused dogs with no fight left in us. There was two options take it or retaliate and allot did retaliate in various ways. The hate soldiers had against superiors was as strong as any soldier has against the taliban and that hate is still strong today. Try fighting a war where rules of engagement say's you cannot use force to defend yourself. I have no love loss for the military and no trust what so ever just certain individuals so when i here "peace keeping and combat is the only reason for ptsd and homeless veterans i see red and call BS"""". In the future i see that being the case but no not with this average age. I told some of you's months ago there should be change for serving members coming do you's think that was coincidence Some of us fought a war inside Canada that will never make the history books and most will never understand or believe it could ever have happen within their precious canadian armed forces well it fkn did thats all im going to say and the amount of casualties will never be known because this story will never be told.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jan 2016, 23:32

yup 52 . can you say Yugoslavia ? yup it grows after every conflict to some degree just how it happens . NVC buyout worth about little over 9 years of the PA pension . it was enacted almost ten years ago . the reason the problem is increasing and im willing to bet the average age is going down ,as it normaly does after a conflict, is in great part due to the NVC . this problem is only going to get far worse as time goes on as we are only at the beginning . would disabled yougo era disabled vets be more prone to becoming homeless given the buyout as apposed the monthly pension? just simple math really .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Sun 24 Jan 2016, 22:08

Average age is 52 for homeless there was no Nvc when the majority of homeless were released. vac denial plus sisip denial equals skull -- --ing. to crippled to work to poor to retrain and mentally screwed up and wondering why their abandoned the attitude was f it f them f everything PA was no good if you were denied,5 or 10% equaled f all. sisip held a dollar at the the end of a fishing line just out of reach and if you happened to grab it 9 out of 10 were kicked out of the boat to drown.  ptsd was not even in the vocabulary before 2005. The one good thing to come out of the NVC was rehab and ELB it just has to be mandatory upon medical release. To have that option decades ago would have eliminated the vast majority of this homeless problem today...... YES END THE BUYOUT

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sun 24 Jan 2016, 19:37

I agree Propat

END THE FRACKING BUY OUT NOW!!!!!

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jan 2016, 19:08

ya want a plan to reduce the number of homeless vets dramatically . how about this ????

END THE FRACKIN BUYOUT !!!!!

half of the most seriously disabled vets NOT getting PIA and supplement and what are they getting ??? the PA pension ???? NOOOOO they are getting the buyout !!!!!

a homeless vet comes in asking where are his BENIFITS and you talk about housing !!!!!

some of these politicians really got to pull their heads out of their buts RIGHT FRACKIN NOW!!!!!

how about doing what he asked so he can afford a place to stay ya fracking mooks .

the homeless problem amongst vets didn't start to grow till after the NVC and was predicted to happen before it was enacted .

NOW HERE WE ARE !!!

END THE BUYOUT AND END IT RIGHT FRACKIN NOW !!!!!

no more delays or political BS . ya have the legislation in hand already that can fix this thing properly and immediately .

so carry the frack on and get er done NOW!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jan 2016, 18:40

Nation-wide group hoping to tackle issues facing Canada's veterans

Working together will help end homelessness among Canada’s war heroes.

That’s the message from Vets Canada president Jim Lowther, who said he’s hoping the new federal government will look to his organization when it tries to tackle issues facing ex-military and RCMP members in the country.

“I know it’s a new government,” Lowther said. “We’re very hopeful. The new minister, we’ve met him a couple of times already. He’s a wonderful man, and I think he cares, and I think a lot is going to be able to get done.”

He added, in the six years Vets Canada has been around, more than 800 veterans have been helped.

The nation-wide organization is completely volunteer-run, and offers a variety of services aimed at helping struggling veterans, whether it’s with affordable housing or mental health issues like post-traumatic stress disorder.

Lowther said if the Liberals look at the way Vets Canada is operating, and joins the organization, one of the biggest issues facing veterans can be solved.

“I believe. I honestly truly believe that we can end homelessness for our nation’s heroes. I believe it. We have the plan, we have the model. It works. We can do this together.”

http://www.660news.com/2016/01/24/nation-wide-group-hoping-to-tackle-issues-facing-canadas-veterans/

Back to top Go down

Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 7 Empty Time to finally do something about homeless veterans, says Kovacs

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jan 2016, 18:19

Number on homelessness among Canadian vets just ‘tip of iceberg” say vets’ advocates. I found it curious that none of the individuals interviewed for this article had precise information regarding the number of homeless veterans in Canada, yet all indicated that this problem has existed for many years.

http://www.hilltimes.com/letters-to-the-editor/2016/02/01/time-to-finally-do-something-about-homeless-veterans-says-kovacs/450

Last edited by trooper on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change of post location)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jan 2016, 18:07

I'm all for helping refugees...at the same time helping our own...what's interesting about the Liberals refugee agenda is that they have proved to the whole Country that complex things can be delivered in lighting speed...so now we know that the Liberals have the capability to get things done quickly...remember this when your waiting for other things to get done.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 15 Jan 2016, 17:21

I feel some recent GoC priorities just don't make sense to me at this time.

Here's mine.

#1. Native Canadians
#2. Homeless Canadian veterans
#3. Homeless Canadians in general

Take it from there. But I will continue to expect more general backlash towards the Syrian
immigrants just like Muslims these days. Pretty damn sad. Reminds me a bit of the influx from S.E. Asia in the late 70's...
Fracking politics...
Just my opinion. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next