Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program

+4
Rifleman
Slaket
czerv
Kramer
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program - Page 3 Empty Re: MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program

Post by Ex Member Mon 08 Feb 2016, 21:41

Alligator on the barb b cue!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program - Page 3 Empty Re: MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program

Post by Ex Member Mon 08 Feb 2016, 21:40

Then Canadians , or better still New Brunswick is having a population decline I'm sure Propat and Trooper wouldn't mine letting a couple of these refugees set up a tent in their backyards!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Mon 08 Feb 2016, 21:39

House the veterans first!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program - Page 3 Empty News Report ~ Plan to house refugees on military bases so far unused

Post by Ex Member Mon 08 Feb 2016, 20:01

Operation Provision ready and waiting..........

The Canadian government has no immediate plans to take advantage of military bases ready to house refugees, and is instead renting hotel rooms despite cities requesting a resettlement slowdown.

Both Canadian Forces Base Kingston, about 250 kilometres away from Toronto, and CFB Valcartier, about the same distance away from Montreal, are in a state of readiness to accommodate refugees, according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada spokesperson Faith St-John. These would be the first bases to accept refugees if plans were put into motion, she said.

But the government maintains that using the military bases as of now would introduce an unnecessary duplication of resources and complexity to the resettlement process.

“At present, no refugees are scheduled to arrive at any CFBs. We hope we can continue to send people to their destination community shortly after arriving in Canada rather than the interim lodging sites,” said Ms. St-John.

The effort to get ready for refugees, called Operation Provision, has gone ahead regardless.

Canadian Armed Forces members have already been moved around to accommodate refugees on military bases. Logistics have been co-ordinated, in a joint effort, by the Department of National Defence, the Canadian Red Cross, the Public Health Agency of Canada and IRCC.

As part of the preparations, some military personnel have been moved temporarily to different accommodations. In Kingston, for example, about 800 “students, transient, and living-in members” were moved from their current accommodation to other base accommodations. The CAF prioritized moving single and junior CAF members rather than families.

Pressure on hotels

Meanwhile, some cities including Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and Halifax are struggling to handle the influx of refugees, several reports have indicated. In mid-January, the cities requested a pause in resettlement activities.

Reports of a Toronto hotel kicking out long-term residents to make room for refugees surfaced Jan. 27. Responding to the allegations in a scrum, Immigration Minister John McCallum said “the hotel makes its own arrangements with the settlement organization, and we don’t tell hotels how to conduct their business.”

“A few communities” asked the department to slow down or delay new arrivals “for a few days," confirmed Ms. St-John. Most refugees are spending one to two nights in hotels that IRCC has contracted near the Toronto and Monreal airports, said Remi Lariviere, another IRCC spokesperson.

"These hotels provide much-needed respite for refugees prior to their onward travel to their final destination city. A very small number are staying longer than two nights awaiting for the local service provider in their final destination city to secure transition space as part of the resettlement and integration process," he wrote in an emailed response.

“We are currently working with our partner organizations in these cities to try to ease the strains that they are experiencing. In these cases, refugees who arrive in Canada will spend a few extra days in hotels in Toronto or Montreal before they travel on to their new communities," said Ms. St-John.

'No one is being evicted'

IRCC is responsible for letting the Canadian Armed Forces know when to expect refugees, indicated Capt. Thomas Edelson, a spokesperson for the Canadian Joint Operations Command, in an email. “We do not have an update on when [bases] might be used or to what extent."

Accommodation rates for soldiers were adjusted accordingly, and costs of moving, including breaking TV cable contracts, for example, were reimbursed by the base. Transportation costs were covered too.

In Valcartier, some CAF members there on a temporary basis, for training, were moved to a centralized location on the base “in order to free up contiguous space for possible refugee accommodation,” Capt. Edelson said.

“Members living at other bases may also be affected, but the exact impact remains to be determined at this point,” Capt. Edelson said. Bases farther down the list include CFB Meaford, CFB Petawawa, CFB Trenton and CFB Borden.

“No one is being evicted, but if a living-in members decides not to accept the new accommodation being offered then they can make the personal choice to seek lodging off base.”

Housing adjustments aren’t the only ones being made on military bases to potentially accommodate refugees.

For example, at bases where refugees might be housed, officials plan to use separate mess and cooking facilities to serve refugees who have “various religious needs,” according to Capt. Edelson.

Most services, however, called “Real Life Support Services,” would be managed by IRCC and the Canadian Red Cross, he said. The Red Cross did not respond to questions from Embassy.

Freedom of movement wouldn't be restricted on base

Military bases wouldn’t be used to hold refugees for screening—they are simply another housing option.

“Refugees who may be housed on military bases will be able to come and go freely. The freedom of movement for refugees on bases and wings will not be limited, outside of normal security restrictions inherent to military establishments, such as flight lines,” Capt. Edelson said.

And, much like the hotel solution that the government is currently using, the housing would be temporary. As soon as cities were ready to resettle refugees, they would be transferred.

“Should military bases be required, they would only serve as a temporary solution. Once their destination community was ready to receive them, refugees would be transported there as quickly as possible,” Ms. St-John said.

Still, Capt. Edelson said, “the requirement for interim lodging for refugees upon arrival in Canada is still being assessed.” The CAF appears ready to accommodate refugees for more than just a few days, if they need to.

“The period of time that CAF may provide interim lodging for refugees, if required, has yet to be determined,” Capt. Edelson added.

As of Jan. 28, according to a government website, 14,784 Syrian refugees had arrived in Canada and another 6,126 refugees were waiting to travel to Canada having completed their resettlement applications. The government promised to bring in 25,000 in total by the end of February.

http://www.embassynews.ca/news/2016/01/29/Plan-to-house-refugees-on-military-bases-so-far-unused/48168

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Mon 08 Feb 2016, 19:57

He we fracking go !!

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program - Page 3 Empty New Report ~ Canada to accommodate Syrian refugees in military bases

Post by Ex Member Mon 08 Feb 2016, 19:50

Canadian authorities have announced plans to provide accommodation for tens of thousands of Syrian refugees at military bases due to a housing backlog.

Immigration Minister John McCallum said that 2,700 spaces are available on two military bases in Kingston and Valcartier in the predominantly French-speaking region of Quebec.

McCallum said refugees are still arriving "in large numbers," describing the housing problem as “significant” but “manageable.”

"To the extent that we're unable to settle those who keep coming in large numbers quickly enough, we may have recourse to the military bases and that was always a part of the plan," he said.

Canada has already received 15,685 Syrian refugees from UN camps, and is expected take in 10,000 more this month. McCallum has said he is “confident” the government will meet that target.

In Germany, the government approved a package of measures, including reducing benefits, to curtail the flow of refugees and asylum seekers from North African states.

The package, which the Bundestag would most likely rubber-stamp, declares Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia safe countries of origin. The measure means national from those countries have very little chance of being granted asylum.

Additionally, asylum seekers who have had their first applications dismissed, refugees who have lost their identity documents, and those deemed to pose a “danger to security and public order” face likely expulsion from Germany.

On Thursday, the Interior Ministry said a total of 91,671 people arrived in Germany last month and were registered as asylum seekers, in comparison to the 127,320 that arrived the previous month.

The results of a recent poll conducted for ARD television network, released on Wednesday, showed 81 percent of the German population think the federal government's refugee policies are not working.

Over a million asylum seekers reached Europe’s shores in 2015, with the majority of them fleeing countries ravaged by terrorism such as Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. The refugee crisis has been Europe’s worst since World War II.

Many blame major European powers for the unprecedented exodus, saying their policies have led to a surge in terrorism and war in those regions, forcing more people out of their homes.
http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/02/04/448670/Canada-resettlement-Syrian-refugees-military-bases-Germany-asylum-seekers-North-Africa-Morocco-Algeria-expulsion

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program - Page 3 Empty Pitting vets vs. refugees is 'un-Canadian,' Mitic says

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jan 2016, 19:24

It's "un-Canadian" for people to pit the trouble of homeless war veterans against the plight of refugees flowing into the country, according to Jody Mitic.

"I didn't go fight in Afghanistan to not help Syrian refugees," Mitic said Wednesday.

Mitic, the Innes ward councillor and former military sniper, said he was "bummed" Wednesday when people on social media suggested Canada should do more for its war vets rather than help Syrian refugees fleeing from war.

"I don't want people to feel sorry for me because we're bringing in refugees," Mitic said in an interview.

"One is not the other, and don't use veterans as a wedge issue just because you don't like refugees."

The Sun spoke to Mitic earlier this week about a report by The Canadian Press that 2,250 former soldiers are using shelters on a regular basis. He hopes part of the CFB Rockcliffe redevelopment can be used to house homeless vets.

Mitic received applause via the web from several folks, and some weighed the issue against the federal government's efforts to bring thousands of refugees to Canada.

Although he appreciates the support voiced for vets, Mitic said it's "insulting" when people pit important issues -- like caring for war vets and helping refugees -- against each other.

"To me that just bums me out," Mitic said. "I'm not trying to say people are bad for it. I just think it's apples and oranges and I also think Canada can afford to do both."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/01/06/pitting-vets-vs-refugees-is-un-canadian-mitic-says-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Tue 15 Dec 2015, 13:42

Okay first thing Canada is never going to be the way it was when you or I were kids the people of the world is going to have to learn to get along airplanes and internet has brought us face to face. I agree fit in or F--- O-- as far as religion I don't give a s--- for any of them there all perverted cults in my opinion anybody who can prove me wrong on that is welcome to try. I have ptsd i am not crazy I see things very clear when it come's to religion or goc trying to control me. In my opinion religion if people have to worship perverts or fairy tales do it in your own home and keep it in your own home. These refugees are the best syria has if they try to live off the system send them back if they become radical send the whole family back because they are obviously not integrating into Canadian society but lets give them a chance for the kids sake. Also it puts the Government on the spot first the ministers letter, in my opinion that is a legal document, 2nd if they don't give us back our PA the sign's on parliment hill will read refugees before veterans and that will cause all kinds of shit all across Canada. We need more workers in Canada to pay the social security for all us old grumpy farts. I live in a small town and workers are scarce buisnesses cannot find workers the young generation won't get their hands dirty there is lots of work out there just not the workers. This is only my opinion and i respect everybody elses that used to be my opinion  to except the religion my opinion was always the same on that.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 15 Dec 2015, 12:06

I am sure we can all come up with issues or ideas we don't agree with in Canada.....for each of our own reasons/opinions and you/we would be right.

Let Canadians create the Canada we want, not visitors who have no right.

My/our ancestors fought for what we have today and I am not willing to stand by and let visitors who don't care about Canadian values, ethics and or principles take it over.

I have said it before......Canada/our government must look after its own first and foremost before the government arbitrarily decides to do what it wants which in this case is NOT the voice of Canadians.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaket Tue 15 Dec 2015, 11:26

Well in reality most Canadians are stock of immigrants, hell my ancestors arrived in NS 1728..
I'm in my mid 50's and I can't remember saying the Lords Prayer in school and I don't think it should be, as all religion should stay out of publically funded educational institutions. Even the Oath of Allegiance allows one to omit the reference to God... I do however remember singing the National Anthem which I believe should still be done.

I have no issue with immigration per say, however in this current operation I would have to vote "No" for which it is being conducted.

Security... The GoC can say it's screening is top of the line..but to many people in to short of time.. It was only a couple weeks ago it was made public that the PM's plane was broadcasting its location in flight..If that's not messed up I don't know what is..

Cost..This will cost over a billion dollars when it is said and done..Today that money could be better spent on our elderly..

Community hardship..Many people have been waiting for affordable housing, education upgrading etc. Students are struggling to pay back loans yet refugee grants are to be forgivable.

Medical burden..In my Province they will be given family doctors upon arrival. I have been on a waiting list for a family doctor for over 2 years..I guess my 30 years of service means nothing..

So I would have to vote NO but only because of the large numbers which will tax our communities and of what I believe is the lack of effective security screening...

Slaket
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 15 Dec 2015, 10:46

I am not prejudice.......and Canada has plenty of room for those who are willing to love Canada and what she/we have to offer. Canadians by nature are kind people with a very high tolerance for being shat on (just look at what we take from our own government).

Even considering the best of immigrants/refugees, they should not be allowed to go to the front of the line or displace other Canadians.

It's simple.....if you come to Canada......live by our rules/laws......don't try to change us......otherwise we will just end up like their country.....poor and in chaos.

Additionally......money....wow.....where did all the money come from.......where are they going to get jobs and healthcare....food......ahhhhh from our very kind Mr. Trudeau.......but where is the money to help us........veterans.....seniors.....homeless......hungry children....etc.

Unfortunately they cannot adjust to us and our way of life....so.....GO HOME!

My vote is NO as well.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Tue 15 Dec 2015, 09:50

I tried to vote but it would not take it. It is over 72% NO. Maybe they did not like my comments.
Very simple NO: to 'peace loving cult' that beheads, rapes children and women and lies to infidels.
Any other, hard working immigrant: more than welcomed.

That is my vote.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

MVA Facebook Page ~ Liberal government fully restores refugee health care program - Page 3 Empty Immigrants...Yes or No?

Post by Kramer Tue 15 Dec 2015, 08:33

Here is a link to vote and have your voice heard....if you wish.

http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-canada-accept-more-immigrants

I say NO!! send the buggers back. So bloody ridiculous to see turbans allowed on our Parade Square! Wear Canadian headdress or go the frack home!
They don't want us to serve pork in our schools, or say the Lords prayer or say "Merry Christmas"......well frack you

They don't agree with the Oath of Allegiance......well frack you too!

Stop changing who we are and what we are.......please don't come here.........plain and simple.

This is just not my opinion!

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum