Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families

4 posters

Go down

Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families Empty Re: Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2016, 16:18

Where is promise no# 2 from the mandate letter: "Re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans?"

Is it that you want to ensure you get it right ? OR is it that you want to wait until the disability award is increased and the retro is paid then you can announce a lifelong pension on a go-forward basis ?

Back to top Go down

Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families Empty Re: Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families

Post by bigrex Wed 25 May 2016, 15:03

"Hehr said they have raised benefits for veterans and now give veterans the option of either taking a one-time payment or a life-time pension."

And when did they do that? They haven't! Sure, it was promised, and included in the mandate letter, but if I was to be approved for a new disability today, I wouldn't be given an option.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families Empty Minister of Veterans Affairs speaks about improvements for veterans services

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2016, 13:17

Life is better now for veterans and their families than it was on election day, Kent Hehr, minister of veterans affairs told a Regina Chamber of Commerce luncheon on Tuesday.

“I’ve got nine more things on my mandate letter I’ve got to accomplish, but I can say without a hesitation of a doubt, veterans’ — and their families’ — lives are better today than they were on Oct. 19,” he said.

The 46-year-old MP for Calgary Centre was chosen as minister of veterans affairs and associate minister of national defence after last year’s federal election.

Hehr became a paraplegic when he was paralyzed in a drive-by shooting at the age of 21. He went on to complete his degree in Canadian Studies at the University of Calgary while still learning to use his fingers again. In 2001, he completed a law degree and worked as a lawyer until he joined the Alberta legislature. After serving as an MLA for seven years, he was elected to Parliament last year.

“I understand the difficult time it goes through when your life changes,” he said. “I’ve never served in the military, but I’ve had a difficult transition to my ‘new normal’ and had success at it.”

At the luncheon Tuesday, Hehr talked about the work that his office has done in the last six months.

Since November, the Liberals have delivered $5.6 billion in additional resources to veterans and their families. Hehr said they have raised benefits for veterans and now give veterans the option of either taking a one-time payment or a life-time pension.

The Liberals have reopened nine Veterans Affairs offices that had been closed under the Conservative government, and hired 400 new staff members. A new office in Surrey, B.C., also will be opening.

Hehr said that his office is committed to helping veterans rebuild their lives and find a new “normal”.

“That’s what Veterans Affairs is there for — to help them rebuild their lives — and we didn’t have the capability under the former government to do that.”

Hehr did give credit to the previous government, though, saying things needed to be changed in Veterans Affairs because the old ways are not always the best ways.

“The former government came in in 2006, and many of these issues have risen to the surface and compounded themselves,” Hehr said, adding the previous government did not address many of these issues, though his own office has.

Hehr added the Liberal government has raised the earning loss benefit for veterans who have a disability to 90 per cent of veterans’ pre-release salaries from 75 per cent.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/minister-of-veteran-affairs-speaks-about-improvements-for-veterans-services

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 25 May 2016, 12:41

Enhancing highlights?

What in that article is NEW? It's almost like they copy / paste speeches and pick another city.
What gets my goat is how they toot their horn about it all.
A little humble pie comes to mind but I don't think it's a very political dessert.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Wed 25 May 2016, 02:49

I have been waiting for more then six months to be approved by VAC for neurofeedback that my Drs have indicated has proven to work on others like me, so where may I ask is the treatment of care, compassion and respect? Just as others have stated all BS.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 19:59

ya what rifleman said .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Tue 24 May 2016, 19:10

Same old bull shyte why don't they tell us something we already don't know you fracking morons LIFE LONG PENTIONS TRY THAT FOR A START INSTEAD OF THE SAME OLD SONG AND DANCE HAD ABOUT ENOUGH OF THE SAME OLD BULLSHYTE !!!!

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families Empty Government of Canada highlights improved support for Veterans and their families

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 16:53

REGINA, May 24, 2016 /CNW/ - The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, spoke with Veterans and community leaders in Regina today to highlight the Government of Canada's support for Canada's ill and injured Veterans and how Budget 2016 will enhance that support.

To help Veterans and their families as they transition from military to civilian life, Veterans Affairs Canada will build on an existing suite of programs and supports with enhancements to financial benefits, restored access to critical services and more front-line staff.

An increase to the Disability Award to a maximum of $360,000 will mean more money in the pockets of Veterans who suffer from illnesses such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a result of service.

Increasing the Earnings Loss Benefit to 90% of a Veteran's pre-release salary will ensure former members undergoing rehabilitation have the financial support they need.

Expanding access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance by introducing an individualized assessment will ensure Veterans are more appropriately compensated for the impact of a service-related impairment on their career.

Finally, Veterans Affairs Canada will re-open nine offices across the country and hire additional case managers so that each serves no more than 25 individuals. Additionally, a new office will open in Surrey, B.C., and outreach to Veterans in the North will be expanded by working with local partners.

Budget 2016 delivers $5.6B in additional benefits and takes historic steps to treat Veterans with care, compassion and respect.

Quick Facts

The Government of Canada will make it easier for Veterans' families to access the Funeral and Burial Program for a dignified burial. The Department plans to increase the estate exemption from $12,015 to $35,279 and also apply an annual cost of living adjustment to this amount.
Plans are also underway to expand the scope of the Commemorative Partnership Program to allow funding for the building of new community war memorials and to streamline the application process.
The new Have Your Say consultation tool, available on the Veterans Affairs Canada website, invites Veterans, stakeholders and Canadians to their provide feedback on Veterans' issues and priorities.
The Minister of Veterans Affairs remains committed to all items in his mandate letter, including pensions for life.

"The Government of Canada is taking historic steps to ensure Canadian Veterans and their families are treated with care, compassion and respect. Budget 2016 reaffirmed our intent to give back to Veterans and deliver on our promises to restore critical access to services and improve the long-term financial security and independence of disabled Veterans and their families."

The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defense

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/government-of-canada-highlights-improved-support-for-veterans-and-their-families-580702371.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down