Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia

+2
RCN-Retired
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia Empty Nova Scotia opens its first clinic of operational stress injuries

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:51

Nova Scotia opens its first clinic of operational stress injuries.

June 20, 2016

War veterans and traumatized former RCMP officers in Nova Scotia can now get full treatment for operational stress injuries (OSI), such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), without having to leave the province or use a telecommunications service. A new OSI clinic opened in Dartmouth on June 13.

Federal Veteran Affairs Minister Kent Hehr attended the official opening of the Nova Scotia Operational Stress Injury Clinic, along with Lindsay Peach, the Nova Scotia Health Authority’s (NSHA) vice president of integrated health, according to an announcement from Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC). The clinic – which VAC is funding as well as co-running with the NSHA – will offer complete assessment, diagnosis and treatment of OSIs for current and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces and the RCMP, as well as their families.

“Living with an OSI can be extremely difficult, not only for those who have it, but for their loved ones as well,” Hehr said in a statement about the opening. “This new clinic will make a real difference in the lives of those who receive treatment here.

“These proud Canadians need to know that when their service to our country has concluded, we are there for them. They need to know that they are not alone. And they need to know that we are going to do everything we can to help them get better. That is our ultimate goal.”

An OSI is any chronic psychological illness resulting from traumas experienced during military or police services; prime examples include PTSD, anxiety disorders and depression.

The clinic is the first of its kind in the province. There are 10 other OSI clinics across the country, in Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Quebec City and other major municipalities, according to information from VAC. Each of these clinics employs a team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and mental-health nurses who specialize in OSI treatment.

A temporary OSI clinic opened in Nova Scotia last November. Before that, OSI sufferers in the province could receive access to treatment only via a satellite clinic or tele-health services, according to VAC.

“We have a rich military background in Nova Scotia and value our continued strong relationship with the RCMP,” said Peach in a statement. “Staff and leaders of the Nova Scotia Health Authority worked together with Veterans Affairs Canada to create a welcoming, professional environment that is conducive to delivering excellent clinical care and support to veterans and their families.”

In addition to the OSI clinics, VAC and the Department of National Defence also run a network of 26 specialized mental-health clinics.

http://www.ohscanada.com/health-safety/nova-scotia-opens-first-clinic-operational-stress-injuries/1003350487/

Back to top Go down

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia Empty Clinic to treat veterans and RCMP with stress injuries opens in Burnside

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2016, 19:35

Clinic to treat veterans and RCMP with stress injuries opens in Burnside.

Clinic specializes in treating anxiety disorders, depression and PTSD

Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr was in the Halifax area Monday to officially open a new federally funded clinic for both retired and serving members of the Canadian Forces and RCMP.

The Nova Scotia Operational Stress Injury clinic opened in November in downtown Dartmouth but recently moved to its permanent location in Burnside.

The clinic specializes in treating anxiety disorders, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. It will assess, diagnose and treat active members of the armed forces, veterans, as well as active and retired RCMP personnel.

It's a welcome facility for Lisa and Douglas Cochrane of Halifax. Douglas Cochrane was exposed to PCBs during his time in the armed forces. He also suffers from chronic pain and can't work.

"It's immense," say Lisa Cochrane. "Because mental health supports in the community are very limited."

She says without the clinic, vets like her husband would have to rely on provincial or private care.

"You get by, and this way at least there'll be access to people who can certainly teach you how to get by and not be another statistic," she said.

"That's pretty frightening when you look at the members who aren't receiving the assistance they need and go on to believe that there's no other alternative than taking their own lives."

The clinic requires clients to produce referral from either the RCMP, Canadian Armed Forces Health Services or Veterans Affairs.

After that, they're contacted within 48 hours and triaged over the phone.

Eventually, eligible clients will be assigned a primary clinician and their treatment will begin.

Derek Leduc, manager of the clinic, said it currently has 50 clients.

"We're adding a couple each week and we're continuing to expand," he said.

The new OSI clinic in Burnside is one of two in the Maritimes — the other is in Fredericton — and is one of 11 across Canada.

"It's going to go a long way to help people struggling with mental health and service-related injuries," Hehr said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/veterans-clinic-ptsd-depression-rcmp-pcbs-treatment-stress-injury-1.3633314

Back to top Go down

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia Empty Re: Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia

Post by johnny211 Mon 13 Jun 2016, 16:01

No OSI or Mental health clinics over here in PEI, the home of the DDD HQ.
VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia Empty Minister Hehr opens Nova Scotia Operational Stress Injury Clinic

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2016, 15:31

Minister Hehr opens Nova Scotia Operational Stress Injury Clinic.

Halifax area clinic serves Nova Scotia Veterans and their families

DARTMOUTH, NS, June 13, 2016 /CNW/ - The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, today joined Lindsay Peach, Vice-President of Integrated Health for the Nova Scotia Health Authority, to officially open the Nova Scotia Operational Stress Injury Clinic.

Funded by Veterans Affairs Canada and operated in partnership with the Nova Scotia Health Authority, the Clinic, located in Dartmouth, provides full assessment, diagnosis and treatment services for Veterans, members of the Canadian Armed Forces, current and former members of the RCMP and their families who are living with operational stress injuries, also known as OSIs. Each OSI clinic has a team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, mental health nurses and other specialized clinicians who understand the experience and unique needs of Veterans living with OSIs.

Prior to the opening of a temporary clinic in November 2015, Veterans residing in Nova Scotia received services through a satellite clinic or via tele-health.

Quick Facts

An operational stress injury is any persistent psychological difficulty resulting from operational duties performed while serving in the Canadian Armed Forces or as a member of the RCMP. The term is used to describe a broad range of problems which include diagnosed psychiatric conditions such as anxiety disorders, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as well as other conditions that may be less severe, but still interfere with daily functioning.
There are 11 OSI clinics across Canada. These include one residential OSI clinic at the Ste. Anne's Hospital and 10 outpatient clinics in Calgary, Edmonton, Fredericton, Dartmouth, London, Ottawa, Québec City, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Winnipeg and Vancouver. Additional satellite clinic sites provide services closer to locations where Veterans live.
VAC and DND have a network of 26 specialized mental health clinics where individuals can be served in person.
Veterans and former RCMP members and their families can receive immediate mental health counselling with a professional over the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling the toll-free assistance line 1-800-268-7708 (TTD/TTY 1-800-567-5803).

Quotes

"Living with an OSI can be extremely difficult, not only for those who have it, but for their loved ones as well. This new clinic will make a real difference in the lives of those who receive treatment here. These proud Canadians need to know that when their service to our country has concluded, we are there for them. They need to know that they are not alone. And they need to know that we are going to do everything we can to help them get better. That is our ultimate goal."
The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence

"Nova Scotia Health Authority is honoured to be part of a service that can make a difference in the recovery and quality of life of Veterans and their loved ones. We have a rich military background in Nova Scotia and value our continued strong relationship with the RCMP. Staff and leaders of the Nova Scotia Health Authority worked together with Veterans Affairs Canada to create a welcoming, professional environment that is conducive to delivering excellent clinical care and support to Veterans and their families while, at the same time, helping to build the capacity of our teams to support other Nova Scotians."
Lindsay Peach, Vice President, Nova Scotia Health Authority

Related Products

Network of OSI clinics: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/stay-connected/mobile-app/osi-connect (mobile app)

Associated Links: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/mental-health/understanding-mental-health

https://www.osiss.ca/

SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada

For further information: Contacts: Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468; Sarah McMaster, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649; Media Relations, Nova Scotia Health Authority, 1-844-483-3344

RELATED LINKS: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/minister-hehr-opens-nova-scotia-operational-stress-injury-clinic-582699641.html

Back to top Go down

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia Empty Re: Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia

Post by pinger Sun 12 Jun 2016, 20:53

I really love that poster of Kent Hehr at 8:16 Danny,
It's sooo pretty. Tx.
Shyte, My PSHCP don't have his dental plan smile.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Jun 2016, 18:45

Any extra help for the brave men and women of the CF is always appreciated! Now I'm just going to sew on my new badge on my Legion jacket!

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 12 Jun 2016, 16:44

lol!
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 12 Jun 2016, 14:05

Maybe he's going to endorse the new OSISS the Legion is running?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 12 Jun 2016, 09:48

28th of April 2000 in breach 0 0 0 and on my way out the door.  September 11 happened renewed contract (12th August 2002) until (15th January 2017), but yet in breach prior to September 11.
I  guess they needed soldiers, but when you do not meet their needs, disposal like garbage you go.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 12 Jun 2016, 09:18

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia Wp_20110

I have been used and abused, treated like a third class citizen ever since.

Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 12 Jun 2016, 08:19

P.S I am not burning my documents until this is properly settled for all.
Media relations?
Damage Control?
Truth, onwards or what
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 12 Jun 2016, 08:16

WHEN I WAS MEDICALLY RELEASED THIS IS WHAT THEY TOLD ME "YOU DO NOT MEET THE U OF S", good one.

Document showed big aggressive 0 0 0 on my form, still have it as well.  Career manager my ass. He managed my career right out the door.

Minister Hehr announces increased mental health support for Veterans in Nova Scotia 13435310
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 12 Jun 2016, 07:17

I had neurofeedback therapy Navrat.
I looked at a computer screen with probes attached to my head.
I am not really sure if it did anything for me, I am still just as F up as I started, maybe worse, IDK anymore.

Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 12 Jun 2016, 07:12

How do I get invited?and BigRex do you want to come with me?

Last edited by Dannypaj on Sun 12 Jun 2016, 07:38; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sun 12 Jun 2016, 02:17

No doubt more lies and false talks, as a veteran with mental illness VAC does nothing but give me and my family grief. Eight months and counting to be approved for neurofeedback therapy.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum