Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans standoff story told in Penticton court

Go down

Veterans standoff story told in Penticton court Empty Re: Veterans standoff story told in Penticton court

Post by Newf Tue 14 Jun 2016, 20:44

Nice story.  Thanks for sharing.
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

Veterans standoff story told in Penticton court Empty Veterans standoff story told in Penticton court

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jun 2016, 19:08

Veterans standoff story told in Penticton court.

posted Jun 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM
The harrowing details of an army veteran’s stand-off with Penticton police on Martin Street in March came to light in Penticton Provincial Court Monday.

Allen Norman Gascon, 51, a seven-year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces, agreed to a one-year peace bond with a Veterans Affairs worker whom he threatened over the phone in March as well as a firearms prohibition.

Gascon served in the Persian Gulf, Nicaragua and Panama spending two years in the Canadian Militia and five years in regular forces.

Gascon told the court Monday that he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and has nightmares, which he said were exacerbated by the loss of his son who died at the age of five.

Gascon alleged he was harassed, bullied and threatened by his case manager at Veterans Affairs over the course of two years, after he said he requested a new case manager two days into working with the woman.

“I called Veterans Affairs and said I want a new case manager and they did nothing about it,” Gascon said.

Police entered Gascon’s apartment in December 2015 after Veterans Affairs notified the RCMP that Gascon said he was suicidal. After entering Gascon’s apartment, police located a rifle near his bed and there were three rounds in the rifle with a round in the chamber. Two shotguns were located during that incident, one prohibited with a shortened barrel, as well as a Rocky Mountain .303, two knives, a hatchet and all the weapons were seized.

On March 7, an employee at the Veterans Affairs office in Penticton reported that Gascon had called the office making threats against Claudette Gagnon, his case manager at Veterans Affairs. He told the worker that he was barricading his doors and awaiting the RCMP. A worker at the Veterans Affairs office in Ottawa had contacted authorities after Gascon had called there as well, stating that he would come to the office in Penticton with a gun.

RCMP attended at Gascon’s residence and an officer was able to speak with Gascon over the phone.

“Mr. Gascon stated ‘you’re going to have to kill me, I have nothing left, I’ve already called my family and said goodbye,’” Crown counsel Ann Lerchs said while reading the circumstances to the court Monday.

Gascon said his door was barricaded and told the officer his plan was to point a weapon at the police to get them to kill him.

He told the Const. Simon Bentley of the Penticton RCMP that he had two loaded Desert Eagle .357 magnums in his possession. Bentley told Gascon it was unfair to put him in that position and should he force the hand of the police it would be something the Bentley would have to live with for the rest of his life.

“This seemed to get to Mr. Gascon who began to cry and apologize for doing this. Gascon proceeded to exit the residence, he was cooperative with all verbal directions and was taken into custody without incident,” Lerchs said.

Gascon wiped tears from his eyes while hearing the circumstances recounted in court.

Lerchs added that Gascon was very cooperative with staff at the Penticton Regional Hospital where he was taken after the incident. A subsequent search of his apartment turned up a Crosman Vigilante pellet revolver with a Desert Eagle barrel.

A frank and open discussion took place between Judge Chapman and Gascon Monday, as Gascon told the judge of his service and described memories that haunt him to this day.

“I wouldn’t want to wish that kind of memory of that kind of dream on anyone, obviously, but it sounds, though, like you’re on the path to get yourself through that. Sir, I’m glad you’re still here today so I can thank you for your service,” said Judge Brad Chapman.

“You’re a really nice guy,” Gascon said of Chapman.

As part of the peace bond, Gascon is to report to probation, is not to attend the Veterans Affairs office in Penticton and will subscribe to a five-year firearms prohibition. Gascon also has a new case manager with Veterans Affairs in Vancouver, whom he said was “phenomenal.”

Gascon is aiming to complete a healthcare assistant program he is currently working on to assist seniors and Chapman noted that Gascon seemed to be making progress with counselling that he attends.

A frank and open discussion took place between Judge Chapman and Gascon Monday, as Gascon told the judge of his service and described memories that haunt him to this day.

“I wouldn’t want to wish that kind of memory of that kind of dream on anyone, obviously, but it sounds, though, like you’re on the path to get yourself through that. Sir, I’m glad you’re still here today so I can thank you for your service,” said Judge Brad Chapman.

“You’re a really nice guy,” Gascon said of Chapman.

As part of the peace bond, Gascon is to report to probation, is not to attend the Veterans Affairs office in Penticton and will subscribe to a five-year firearms prohibition. Gascon also has a new case manager with Veterans Affairs in Vancouver, whom he said was “phenomenal.”

Gascon is aiming to complete a healthcare assistant program he is currently working on to assist seniors and Chapman noted that Gascon seemed to be making progress with counselling that he attends.

Back to top Go down