Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran

2 posters

Go down

Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran Empty Re: Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran

Post by Guest Sun 31 Jul 2016, 20:19

My comments maybe be somewhat extreme to some, but I show no pity for those who prey on the vulnerable. There is no excuse for it. Thirty months in prison means 10 and out on good behaviour. I can't abide this type of punishment.

Here's another example of someone disrespecting a veteran:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/veteran-medal-stolen-cornwall-1.3702489

Back to top Go down

Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran Empty Re: Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran

Post by Guest Sun 31 Jul 2016, 19:24

love to post a comment other than this but unfortunately anything I can think of thus far would not be allowed on this site . if I come up with something more appropriate ill be sure to post it . judging by some other posts I'm sure some of you understand .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sun 31 Jul 2016, 17:44

Sounds good to me

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Jul 2016, 14:15

In a case like this, old school justice should prevail. Ramilo ,should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sat 30 Jul 2016, 18:38

Hang this heartless nobody by the balls until he falls on the ground and then proceed to boot frack him until he bleeds from every orfus of his body jmo

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 30 Jul 2016, 12:34

I'm sorry, but I might be able to accept that taking the original $2000 was a mistake, but doing this over an extended period of time, is a deliberate and calculated action. The sad truth of the matter, is that by the time this guy gets out of prison, and is able to start paying the money back, the Veteran risks passing away penniless, placing financial strain on his family, which is probably something he hoped to avoid, with his savings.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran Empty Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran

Post by Guest Sat 30 Jul 2016, 06:32

Winnipeg man imprisoned for stealing $161,000 from war veteran.

A former Winnipeg health-care aide was sentenced on Thursday after pleading guilty to fraud and forgery charges.

July 29, 2016

WINNIPEG — A 30-month prison sentence has been handed down to a former health-care aide in Winnipeg who admitted to stealing nearly all the life savings of a Second World War navy veteran.

Aldreck Ramilo, who is 40, was sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty to fraud and forgery charges.

Court was told Ramilo spent four years forging cheques to drain nearly $161,000 from the 93-year-old victim, who he befriended while working part-time at a seniors home.

Ramilo discovered where the man kept his cheques and forged 103 of them between July 2011 and April 2015, using the money to pay for his daily living expenses and other things.

The judge has also ordered Ramilo to repay all the money he stole and cover bank overdraft fees the senior incurred.

The Crown had been seeking a four-year sentence.

Prosecutor Don Melnick called the offence “a grievous breach of trust.”

“I can advise that, to my knowledge, there has never been a case in Manitoba where there has been this type of prolonged, persistent plundering of a personal care home’s resident’s finances,” he said.

The court was told Ramilo was responsible for bathing the veteran and tidying his room. He befriended the older man and told him he was trying to support his three kids while his wife was out of work.

In 2011, Ramilo told the man he needed money to make a down payment on a vehicle, and the victim wrote him a $2,000 cheque as a loan. That cheque, and the shaky, printed signature it bore, gave Ramilo the information he needed to subsequently steal a total of $160,998.

Besides daily expenses, Ramilo spent the money on restaurant meals, a family vacation to Alberta and hundreds of dollars in loan repayments for his relatives. There was no evidence he bought a car with the victim’s loan, and the man was never repaid. Court heard Ramilo shushed him any time he asked about repayment.

By the time the victim’s nephew reviewed his bank accounts and discovered the fraudulent activity last year, his uncle’s savings had been depleted. He was being charged overdraft fees, and the forged cheques were drawing from the veteran’s pension and old age security payments.

“I would like to see him work, not get paid, and pay me back. I would like that,” the victim said of Ramilo in a statement to police.

Before he was sentenced, Ramilo apologized for his crime.

“I know it’s not right, but I’m only human,” he told provincial court Judge Carena Roller. “People make mistakes. Nobody’s perfect in this world, your honour. So on that point I’m taking responsibility for my actions. Now I have to pay for it.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/07/29/winnipeg-man-imprisoned-for-stealing-161000-from-war-veteran.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum