Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to work and keep VAC assistance?

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to work and keep VAC assistance? Empty Re: How to work and keep VAC assistance?

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 17:47

That's because many of us have taske of our own and regardless of what shrinks want we as warriors know what our limitation are, most just don't want to rock the boat and start over again

Back to top Go down

How to work and keep VAC assistance? Empty Re: How to work and keep VAC assistance?

Post by jbcivi Sat 20 Aug 2016, 17:31

RobbieRoyal wrote:awesome jbcivi, its pretty cool that you are looking ahead and that's why I posted with clandestine gloves so to speak, I know your an honest guy but I have seen my share of others that want the win-fall and the pensions, so my apologies here buds if you took it any other way. Sometimes we fail to see the honesty in honesty guess we all have been jilted in the past. Keep us posted as to how things transpire. i in no way intended to insult or demean anyone's particular route to finding a better life. As for CM's or OSI counselors it is their goal to dot the i's cross the t's and unfortunately their requirements are not always pointing down the same road we need or want to go. Good luck and like I said keep us posted and hey may end up seeing you at the OSI clinic someday, airborne

I take no offence to anything said. I greatly appreciate everyones input so far. Sometimes you need to hear others opinions and thoughts to get yourself thinking in a new way. I will definitely share whatever I find out in the long run to help the next guy.

What is oddly interesting to me so far is that no one has suggested that this "task" is a horrible idea haha. We shall see how things turn out.

jbcivi
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 17:26

PS jbcivi you got a friend here anytime you need to shoot the shyte toss a pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 17:24

awesome jbcivi, its pretty cool that you are looking ahead and that's why I posted with clandestine gloves so to speak, I know your an honest guy but I have seen my share of others that want the win-fall and the pensions, so my apologies here buds if you took it any other way. Sometimes we fail to see the honesty in honesty guess we all have been jilted in the past. Keep us posted as to how things transpire. i in no way intended to insult or demean anyone's particular route to finding a better life. As for CM's or OSI counselors it is their goal to dot the i's cross the t's and unfortunately their requirements are not always pointing down the same road we need or want to go. Good luck and like I said keep us posted and hey may end up seeing you at the OSI clinic someday, airborne

Back to top Go down

Post by jbcivi Sat 20 Aug 2016, 16:32

Robbieroyal - There is no hiding of money, or double dipping plans. ( I would like to purchase a home with the $$ so everything will be done legally here ) The "benefits" I am afraid to lose are, - having a CM assigned to me and having my access to the doc at OSI - It's the human support, I desire to keep. Along with the option for education, but that's something for me to figure out on my own.

I wonder if upon return, I will have to apply all over again to get a CM in order to get back in to the OSI to see the doc when I need to. I know I'm allowed to work during the program however I don't know if there are guidelines for duration and location. 1 year away from home. Maybe there is nothing wrong with it, I just don't know the answers.

Hiding the job itself from VAC is more of a fear losing the job, I feel that having this exposure will help me at this stage in my recovery, but what if the doc doesn't agree. Can they actually prohibit me from going somehow?

Bigrex- School is distant learning from home. ( 6 months allotted to complete each course - online ) some courses are only a couple months in duration or less. I'm trying to figure out if I can do school at the same time (would it really matter where I do it from? Its designed for workers to do part time.)

Your second paragraph was very helpful. Exactly what I need to know. Thank you

jbcivi
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 20 Aug 2016, 11:37

You are obviously not TPI, because you are going to school, and able to work. So you really have to ask yourself if the contract, and short term, gain is truly worth risking your future financial security. First thing I would be doing is talking to your school, because most programs will not let a student defer 6 months, except for maybe medical reasons, meaning they could possibly drop you from the course. That could affect your career options once you return to Canada. Then if your schooling is being paid for by VAC, under the rehab program, they would want to be repaid for any costs they incurred, because you failed to complete the training. Then you would lose your ELB, which as of October will pay 90% of your pre-release pay, because it is only paid while participating in an approved rehab program.

But if you're ok with that possible outcome, then I wish you luck. As far as medical coverage, it depends on what medical assistance you are getting covered. But it should be OK, because you have been given a disability award, and will always be entitled to treatment benefits for your awarded condition. For example, if you have PTSD, they will always cover the medication to treat your PTSD, and psychologist appointments. Or if you were awarded for a knee disability, they will cover pain meds, and required physio for the knee, etc.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 06:51

you will receive your entitled benefits even if your abroad as it is not your permanent residence and to be honest here you didn't tell anyone you left the country (Blue Cross does cover while out of the country but you need to let them know and 6 months would lead to suspicion lol) ......so as we say outta sight outta mind yadda yaddda yaddda. As for VAC gratuities ie: your monthly pension if you are working under the table and not declaring this "task" as income then yes you will have no problem, deceitful yes but as you said ELB ain't cutting it. I do need to remind you however any income discovered by any pensions/disability act will lead to cease of benefits, investigation and the recover of arrears and possibly a court date. Nasty bag o doggy doo there buds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 21:45

thanks best of luck buds .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbcivi Fri 19 Aug 2016, 21:40

See the Doc next week. May return here with more questions or possibly info to help the next guy. You were more than enough help. I wanted opinions/advice, you gave it.

jbcivi
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 21:37

ok got ya .

ya your in a spot for sure and I'm assuming you got a buyout and if you had got a PA pension you would probably not be in the spot you are in today and could afford to carry on with VOC rehab . just a guess mind you .

all I can tell ya is that doctors don't normally change their mind that quickly so id discuss this with him first see what he has to say and go from there . but putting off VOC rehab without your CMs assistance I really don't think will be possible .

really wish I could be of more help.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbcivi Fri 19 Aug 2016, 21:21

nah I'm not trying to hide the money from anyone. ELB isn't cutting it in the real world of bills and CM knows that, so do we all right?

I want to hide the job from her because I fear getting cut off once I'm back. I feel it would be different if I said I want to go work at Walmart for a year and take that time to clear my head lol.

VAC doesn't support the reality that some of us miss our old jobs especially if it is the reason we need medical assistance today.

( scenario ) "I want to go work in Kabul, CM doesn't think its a good idea, tells the doc, doc supports her. end of opportunity ) ( backwards- doc supports me, CM doesn't, tells the doc, doc changes opinion because he supports VAC, end again )

Over all , I feel better that I got to ask these questions out loud and see what happens. Thanks

jbcivi
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 20:56

ok first and foremost if the DOC is ok with it that's great .

if you say you believe you are not" able " to carry on with VOC rehab and the doc backs this up you should be ok with putting it off for a time .

thing is you will need to talk to your CM about that particular issue buds no way around that one because you will need her help to do it .

now on the contract thing you should be able to leave that out when it come to the CM but I'm glad you will be discussing it with the doc . probably still 6 month contracts so if things go south with your symptoms you should be ok .

if you are keeping the contract thing away from the CM for the reason I think you may be I gotta say this .

the money use to be payed in a European account in a specific country in US funds . pretty much invisible BUT not completely . today its a different ball of wax buds so if its still payed the same way my advice would be to claim it .

things change I know talk to your guy about this first .

or maybe I'm misunderstanding .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbcivi Fri 19 Aug 2016, 19:44

I guess overall, I am wondering if there  is "a way" to go about it, not necessarily the "proper way". There is no agreement between us vets and VAC that says we can not go work somewhere. If I say I don't want to do school, I lose the program yes. If I say I'm not ready to continue at the present time, Can it be put on hold? In the meantime, I go work elsewhere, sort my life out financially, then go back to school with VAC?  

I'm aware of the rules, how their system works. I just don't want to throw it all away by simply "quitting the program".

Also, thanks propat and trooper for your quick responses.

Edit: I do not want to mention a word to my CM until I know more info. May risk showing a lack of desire for rehabilitation and be dropped anyway for that reason. With the Doc at the OSI clinic, I will be discussing it truthfully with him. I want exposure to confront my triggers and learn to manage them, after avoiding them for 7 years. They highly recommend exposure in my case. should be Ok with the doc.

Thanks guys

Last edited by jbcivi on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 19:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing info)

jbcivi
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 19:17

I do know that you can collect VAC benefits outside the Country, but only in certain circumstances. Propat's advice is your best bet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 19:10

ehhh I assume contracting ???? so depending on your condition the job may conflict with your doctors advice . even so you will with little doubt be able to keep your medical . not sure if not following doctors advice will interfere with that or if its even an issue .

best advice would be to talk to your CM about this one as she will have more of your personal and medical info .

talk to your doctor as well .

knowing what contracts were being payed in the past yup you will lose all the ELB but that you know .

the medical should be good .

your big concern would be the effects on your VOC rehab .

again discuss this with your CM .

hope you have a good one .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum