Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some direction...

+5
bigrex
Dannypaj
LawnBoy77777
Panserbjørn
Vet1234
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Need some direction... Empty Re: Need some direction...

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016, 05:58

Howie,

It is paid from the date of approval.

Earnings Loss Benefit

When benefit payable

(2) The earnings loss benefit begins to be payable on the day on which the Minister determines that a rehabilitation plan or a vocational assistance plan should be developed.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-16.8/page-3.html#h-8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016, 03:52

One other question. Once you apply and say it takes 4 months to process the ELB. Do you get paid from the date it was received in the mail (Like Backpay) or just get paid from the date it is approved moving forward?

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Fri 09 Sep 2016, 14:06

"General

Veterans, survivors and orphans are entitled to receive a maximum monthly EL benefit which is equal to 75% of the Veteran’s monthly imputed income (MII). This maximum monthly EL benefit will be offset by the sum of other monthly income amounts as detailed in policy, EL Benefit - Determination of Variable “B”: Amounts From Prescribed Sources.
The EL benefit payable per month is calculated using the following formula:

Variable “A” minus Variable “B” = “C” (EL benefit payable per month before taxes)
Variable “A” is equal to 75% of the Veteran’s MII and variable “B” is the total sum of the monthly amounts from prescribed (APS)"

According to their policy which the numbers will be changed to 90% come October 1st, they will pay "90%" minus all prescribed sources of which SISIP is one, to figure out your ELB payable.

Nothing in their policies that I have read states that if you are currently earning from a APS that you do not get topped up by ELB. That would go against what the ELB is actually designed for which was to top you up while you were participating in rehab.

As for the CIA and CIAS unless they change wording, nothing states you can not work, just that you can not earn more than 66 2/3% of your pre release salary to be entitled to PIAS.

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Fri 09 Sep 2016, 12:06

Has anything been written on paper stating that Vac will pay the difference? I've just talked to my Vac CM and he stated that they have been given no direction that they are paying the difference and the difference isn't even 15 percent because some will see nothing while some will see 20 percent. Also I was told never ever just opt out of Sisip ltd because nothing is guaranteed that Vac ELB will automatically provide coverage. Plus Vac ELB is cracking down and expecting more clients to get training or try working . This is exactly from my Vac Cm also I asked about the tpi and coming soon very soon Vac will no longer be using that term because they believe it's in the best interest of the veteran to not be labelled as " can not work" they want you to work and I was told if the Vac Minister can find work as a paralyzed person so could 99 percent of the Vac clients. Change is coming at least with the Conservatives they thru it in front of you, I believe the liberals are being very sneaky and we are not going to like the new Sunny Ways approach hence the Career Impact Allowance, no tpi? I just hope they Grandfather us!

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 09 Sep 2016, 11:37

ELB will pay the difference between ELB and SISIP, just be aware that if SISIP does increase at any time, any retro amounts will need to be paid to VAC.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike77 Fri 09 Sep 2016, 09:26

I am a SISIP LTD client and under the advise of members on this site applied for and recently approved ELB. I have been pondering this dilemma for months now, stay on LTD or somehow switch to ELB? I think all our situations are a little different but for me I decided to put up all the yearly paperwork and doctors costs to stay with SISIP and just keep ELB as a back up just in case. Will SISIP go to 90%? Maybe but my train of thought is with Teen on this one, why not say something? At least answer the question, not a hard question, yes or no? Easy. I'm approved ELB so will VAC pay me the 15% difference until SISIP follows in 6 months? a year? ever? Does VAC even know I'm on SISIP? I'll just wait and see how it plays out and continue to monitor this site and follow the advise of its senior members. Just my 2 cents

Mike77
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2014-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2016, 18:04

ya rifleman OPTING OUT aint really an option as far as I can see . but getting dropped by SISIP well you know.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2016, 17:57

ya buds its quite the zoo for sure . thing is first thing first . get your pensionable conditions reassessed and any related conditions that have developed applied for . this may help you with everything you are about to apply for and eventually save you a lot of time and needless appeals down the road .

as for the ELB stuff you can apply for the TPI , PIA and sup all at the same time . this saves time and confusion . talk to your CM about this and she/he can sit down with you and go over this .

when this was done for me they just asked me a lot of questions at my table pretty much filled out everything and I think all I had to do was sign the applications . that was for everything .

the wait times are a roll of the dice buds . took me about 16 weeks to get the ELB and TPI ( ABOUT the same time ) witch was very good I believe you may have to wait longer but I hope not. only after that will they start to consider your PIA and sup but since your application went in with your others it will be picked up right away and you should get an answer on them in short order .

wishing you the best buds don't forget the reassessments I believe these will be of great importance .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Thu 08 Sep 2016, 17:45

Ok I'm on Sisip and also have EELB Sisip is the first payer which as of now zeros out EELB and I was told that I could not opt out of Sisip and just go on EELB and I have called vac on this and I still get the same answer does somebody know something different on this?

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2016, 16:46

Yea Propat. That is exactly what it feels like is a big jigsaw puzzle to be honest. I've tried to do it on my own without VAC support but its coming down that i just cant do it anymore and need the help now. I guess my thinking is get ELB, then apply for TPI if i can, then PIA or CPPD in that order.

One question is there a long wait for ELB once the paperwork is submitted?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2016, 06:22

apply apply apply !!!!! and once you get something don't ever give it up without a fight !!!!

will ELB still be around in 10 years ? next year ? tomorrow ? in fact will anything ? what will be grandfathered ? some of it ? all of it ? none of it?

the GOC under the guise of improving a good system created a real shyte show . this fracking thing looks like a big jigsaw puzzle with a pile of pieces that just don't fit and now looks like crap .

yes they do love their retarded jigsaw puzzle for sure but are trying to make it LOOK better by switching pieces here and there .

yup SISIP is one of those annoying pieces for sure once you have it in hand but don't throw it in the garbage just let it lye and deal with the others . down the road you may just find a place for it .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 07 Sep 2016, 23:10

If you are currently on extended SISIP, I would apply for ELB now, then once approved for EELB, I personally would opt out of SISIP. But I would not opt out of SISIP, before being approved for ELB, because that would be when VAC would start playing silly buggers, and messes everything up.

To me, it only makes sense. You know that ELB is getting an increase, there is no waiting for news about SISIP. You know that VAC pays for doctor exams, when you are required to get them done. And getting all your benefits from one source, cuts down of possible miscommunications. The down side of ELB, over SISIP is, it's paid later in the month, So if you have grown accustomed to getting that deposit in the third week of every month, having to wait can seem a bit of a struggle at first. And since ELB is lumped together with PIA/PIAS, VAC deducts more in taxes, than if they were taxed separately. But that all comes out in the wash during tax time anyways.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Wed 07 Sep 2016, 22:29

The question I have Bigrex is... Is it worth it to let SISIP expire and just get on EELB?

I don't know if any legislation stating that you cannot opt out of SISIP, and get EELB. So I do believe it is possible.

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Wed 07 Sep 2016, 22:27

That being said could a sisip ltd client elect to stop his sisip ltd and move to vac elb? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this being done ?

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 07 Sep 2016, 21:38

Super, it might be technically true, but over the last eight years, that I have been a member of this site, I cannot recall a single person who was approved SISIP LTD, if they failed to apply within the 90 days. There was even a couple Veterans, who had been released for medical reasons, but their release notes were incorrect, because paperwork had been lost in the system. So by the time they were able to change their release note to 3b,which is required for SISIP, the time period had lapsed and they were denied benefits. After all, it's all in the interpretation and application of the rules that can help, or hinder, the Veteran.

But honesly, if I had to chose between ELB and SISIP, I would go with ELB every day. There is usually no hassle from VAC once you are deemed TPI, and getting EELB. I've been on EELB since 2012, and I might have had to complete one questionnaire in that time, and if they need something from your doctor, they pay for it. And honestly, that could have been for VIP, PIA/PIAS or ELB. I can't really remember. Where as SISIP requires annual paperwork, that has to be paid out of your own pocket. I've also heard of SISIP hiring staff just to spy on recipients, to see if they can catch them doing things that a totally disabled person could not do. After all, SISIP is an insurance company, and when have you ever heard of an insurance company actually putting the needs of their clients over the almighty dollar and their bottom line?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum