Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained

Go down

CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained Empty CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained

Post by Guest Wed 14 Dec 2016, 06:39

CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained Logo-RL3

CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained

CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained CPP-Infographic-Header-2-600x315

How hard is it to win CPP disability payments? What are the CPP disability approval rates? I am sure these questions have crossed your mind if you are in the process of trying to win CPP disability benefits, or are thinking of applying soon.

It’s hard to get good information on CPP disability approval rates. Lots of people have opinions on this – most are wrong. Approval rates are something we can answer with hard data. Claims are approved or denied. We just need to see that data. Service Canada has all the information, but it’s not always easy for the public to see that information.

In 2016 the Auditor General of Canada released a report that shed light on the CPP disability approval rates for the fiscal year 2014-15. You can read the full report here. This report was the result of a comprehensive review of the Canada Pension Plan Disability program by the Office of the Auditor General of Canada.

The Auditor General’s report is packed with insights into the internal operations of the CPP Disability Program, but the information on approval rates is very interesting.

Following are some of the key findings from the Auditor General’s Report:

• 69,075 people filed initial applications for CPP disability benefits

• Service Canada denied 57% (39,707) of those initial applications, and approved 43% (29,368)

• Of the 39,707 people who got denied, only 13,159 filed a Reconsideration Appeal.

• Service Canada denied 65% (8,498) of Reconsideration Appeals, and approved 35% (4,661)

• Of the 8,498 who got denied at the Reconsideration Appeal, only 40% (3,325) filed an appeal with the Social Security Tribunal**

• Service Canada then approved 6% (200) cases before the Tribunal Hearing**

• Of the cases that when to the Tribunal, 61% were approved and 39% were denied**

** We have put an asterisk on these numbers because the Report did not give exact figures. We had to make our best guess using the information given. We don’t have access to the raw data from Service Canada, so we can only make our best guess.

We have presented CPP disability approval rate data in the following infographic:

CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained 1

So what are the key conclusions you can take from the Auditor General’s Report?

1. The approval rates are a snapshot in time –  the approval rate data relate to the information the auditor general reviewed for the 2014-15 fiscal year. These rates of approval or denial would change year over year. The 2014-15 approval rates give us a good idea of the the rates would be year over year. We expect approval rates going forward would remain close to these numbers, unless there were drastic chances to the program administration or adjudication process.

2. High initial denial rate – Service Canada denies almost sixty percent of initial application for disability benefits. This high denial rate likely reflects the fact that most people make the same big mistake when doing their initial application for CPP disability benefits. In my experience, you can significantly improve your chances of success by doing a better job with how you present your application and appeals.

3. Don’t give up –  Sixty-six percent of people just give up after getting denied on the first application! To me this is the most shocking statistic from the Auditor General’s report. This means 26,548 people who could have qualified for CPP disability, missed out on winning disability payments because they gave up. It is easy to become discouraged and overwhelmed by the process. I have seen many deserving people lose at the first and second levels of appeal, only to win later on once we fix the problems with their application. Don’t give up.

4. If your initial CPP disability claim is denied, hire a disability lawyer ASAP – I am a disability lawyer. I know it is self-serving for me to tell you to consult or hire a lawyer. I routinely get trolls on Facebook telling me everyone can win without a lawyer.  If you are honest, then you will win…etc…etc… This information is 100% wrong, and is one of the big misconceptions about disability claims. Many people believe their claim will be approved on the “truth” of the situation – you are either disabled or you are not, and if you are, then of course you will get approved. Again, this type of thinking is very misguided. You do not win a disability claim based on the “truth” as you know it, rather you win based on well the truth of your situation as presented in the paperwork you give to the CPP disability adjudicators and tribunal judges. The numbers speak for themselves. The overall approval rate for CPP disability claims in 2014-15 was 53%. We have been able to achieve better approval rates for our clients. For example,  this year (2016), the approval rate for clients we represented was 91.3% for cases that went to a final determination. This far exceeds the 53% overall approval rate for all claims as seen from the Auditor General’s Report. We are not performing magic. We are simply using a proven system that works to allow our clients to put their best foot forward. I have shared our process in my Guide: https://resolutelegal.ca/cpp-disability-approval-blueprint/

Important Disclaimer: I always strive to be fully transparent in my information and marketing. While we achieved a 91.3% CPP disability approval rate for 2016, this does not mean that we would have a 91.3 % chance of winning your specific CPP disability case or appeal. We are not promising that and it is impossible to use past results to predict future success. These results are simply a snapshot of the past cases we handled over a given period. Our success rate will go up and down over time based on several factors, including the difficulty of the individual cases we take on. For example, it is possible for a lawyer to achieve artificially high success rates, if that lawyer only takes on cases that are a “sure thing”. We take on many cases, even those that will be challenging and far from a sure thing. We believe our high success rate in 2016 was a direct result of the CPP Disability Approval Blueprint System we developed, and use to prepare cases for appeals and tribunal hearings.

Feeling unsure about appealing a CPP disability claim denial? missed an appeal deadline and not sure what to do next? Sometimes a quick call with us can answer your concerns and help you move forward with confidence. Call us now at 888-676-6163 for a free consultation or click here to book online. All consultations are by phone.

CPP Disability Approval Rates Explained CPP_Disability_Book_Order

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
David Brannen
David Brannen is a former occupational therapist turned disability claim lawyer. He is the author of A Beginner's Guide to Disability Insurance Claims in Canada. He started Resolute Legal to help deserving people win long-term disability payments from insurance companies and the CPP Disability Program, even after a denial or unsuccessful appeal.

https://resolutelegal.ca/cpp-disability-approval-rates-2015/

My comment, the above is posted for information purpose only, you need not obtain a lawyer to obtain  CPPD in the initial application, or for any appeals.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum