Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm

+3
Teentitan
bigrex
Dannypaj
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm Empty Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm

Post by Dove96 Sat 07 May 2016, 12:14

Panserbjørn: The Health Canada link: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/info/faq-eng.php

Also Smoking has a shorter effectiveness than taking it as a pill or tincture.
I use the recipe for cannabis coconut oil then put it into capsules. (page 6 of this thread) The effects last about 6-7 hours.
I make a 50-50 mix of CBD Shark and Pineapple Chunk. It makes it about 75% Indica and 25% Sativa. (That is my ratio to keep energetic but not shaky) It also works out to 15% THC and 5% CBD when combined.

Last edited by Dove96 on Sat 07 May 2016, 12:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added reference)
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm Empty Re: Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm

Post by Guest Sat 07 May 2016, 11:01

RCN absolutely correct . no one particular party is at fault politicians in general are . bureaucrats are only a part of the problem if the GOC allows them to be because in the end bureaucrats don't vote on legislation up or down politicians do. and to this day politician can still right legislation and still vote on it however they choose.

propat

Back to top Go down

Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm Empty Re: Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm

Post by Panserbjørn Sat 07 May 2016, 10:05

Trooper wrote:My question would be why are the doctors prescribing 10mg a day when Health Canada says this is twice the amount over what is considered safe for daily use ?

My Google-fu is probably lacking. However I could not find anywhere that Health Canada says what is a safe prescription amount, except when specifically talking about THC which they say is 10mg/day. The doctor's are prescribing up to and rarely over the 10g/day of cannabis, or cannabis oil.

Honestly, I would take 10g/day if it meant no pills and no pain. The Sativa variant of cannabis doesn't couch-lock you like the Indica variant. Yet can still be as effective in relieving your pain.

I am only prescribed 1g/day for the first three months because I have never smoked, or used cannabis ever in my life. I notice the pain dissapating while taking medical cannabis, however with only 1g/day that is short lived.

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2016-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sat 07 May 2016, 03:10

No, I think the bureaucrats have been in place for a lot longer then Harper. It was not Harper that penned the NVC, let's keep things in perspective problems with VAC and bureaucrats have been in place a very long time and they will stay in place unless one of two things happen.
1. Get rid of a few problematic bureaucrats, or
2. The PM or Hehr grow some stones and give the senior bureaucrats their marching orders with the understanding their jobs are on the line.
Forget all these damn bonuses these guys have been given over the years for screwing us and fix the system now!
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 06 May 2016, 23:05

Yes, it is the Liberals that are in power, now, but we all know how the bureaucrats can bugger up a political agenda when they want to. And right now, a good number of senior bureaucrats were put into place by Harper.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 06 May 2016, 22:01

Rex this is a committee put together by Hehr so let's not use the Harper bugaboo bureaucrats that will fudge the numbers ok? Those days are over. Whatever the outcome is it's on Hehr and the Liberals. Afterall aren't they the ones who want to legalize it?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm Empty High cost of Cannabis

Post by Dove96 Fri 06 May 2016, 19:43

They would also have to consider the cost of consequential claims for stomach ulcers and other ailments caused by the harsh medications.

Last edited by Dove96 on Sat 07 May 2016, 07:51; edited 2 times in total
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 06 May 2016, 19:01

Health Canada doesn't want it used at all, medically or not. Remember all those TV ads they put out leading up to the election? So even though there is a new health minister, all the same bureaucrats, that were put in place by Harper, are likely still in place. So I would not put it past them to fudge the numbers, or misconstrue data, to suit them.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 May 2016, 16:22

My question would be why are the doctors prescribing 10mg a day when Health Canada says this is twice the amount over what is considered safe for daily use ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Fri 06 May 2016, 13:30

The problem comes into play when a LP offers rewards for fulfilling your prescription, especially on a point based system. It promotes veterans to completely fill their prescription whether it is needed or not.

- Panserbjørn

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 06 May 2016, 12:30

I think the biggest question here is name one pharmacutical drug that has been studied by VAC? Also have they ever put a limit on a drug that is prescribed by a doctor?

If they cannot answer either of these questions then why are they questioning MM?

But seeing as this is VAC....one important stat that should be disclosed in the report is how many vets get the max 10g a day. That's all people will see 10g a day is what vets get.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 06 May 2016, 12:22

I agree dove, and I would also like to see the average costs associated with each of those replaced prescriptions. I mean if they are going to attack the use of cannabis by Veterans, as if it is costing too much, they also need to show how much it would cost for traditional pharmaceutical treatments.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 Fri 06 May 2016, 10:55

The statistics show an increase of Cannabis for Veterans. I would like to know if there is a study to show if there is a decrease of narcotic or other prescriptions for those same Vets.
Since taking Cannabis for breakthrough pain I no longer take Oxy, Targon or Nabilone. I think that is significant since those medications caused asthma and stomach problems.
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Treating trauma focus of medical marijuana firm Empty Viewpoint: Clarify pot policy for veterans

Post by Guest Fri 06 May 2016, 10:16

Your welcome Dove , more then happy to provide the info.

Thanks for that Panserbjørn and BTW welcome to the CSAT Forum.

Auditor General Michael Ferguson has raised important questions about the increasing use of medical marijuana by Canadian military veterans.

As authorities contemplate enforcement actions and zoning bylaws relevant to marijuana dispensaries, and the federal Liberal government prepares for legalization in 2017, Ferguson is urging the Department of Veterans Affairs to address the amount of medical cannabis being prescribed to veterans. He found the quantity prescribed was “poorly documented” and not always evidence-based.

Ferguson focused more broadly on how Veterans Affairs has been managing drug benefits for former servicemen and women, some of whom have complicated health issues and suffer from mental health conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder. The AG made it plain that it’s time to cut through the haze and clarify marijuana policy for veterans.

The core problem rests with the amount of cannabis veterans are authorized to take. In 2014, Veterans Affairs doubled the amount to 10 grams per day for eligible veterans. Yet, for Health Canada this is twice the amount it considers safe. An internal Health Canada document showed that more than five grams has the potential to increase risks to the cardiovascular, pulmonary and immune systems, as well as psychomotor performance. It has a chance of increasing the risk of drug dependence.

Ferguson’s office could not find any evidence to support this decision to increase the threshold. Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr expressed shock in March that his department lacked an “informed policy” on the use of medical cannabis, even as number of claims by veterans for medical marijuana grew more than tenfold over the past two years.

According to figures provided by Veterans Affairs, 112 veterans were reimbursed for medical marijuana in 2013-14, The following year, it was 628. By March 2016 that number has risen to 1,320.

Mike Blais, president and founder of Canadian Veterans Advocacy, has been abundantly clear about veterans’ consumption of medical marijuana: “I think there should be no cap, and that every case should be judged on individual merit and that the doctor’s prescription is paramount.”

At the same time, Canadian Forces have taken an alternative stand. In 2014, H.C. MacKay who was then the deputy surgeon general of the Canadian Forces, made clear that “with respect to marijuana use for medical purposes, we have identified what appears to be a very significant policy divergence between Veterans Affairs Canada and Canadian Armed Forces.”

In short, even though Veterans Affairs was funding medical marijuana, the military’s health service did not recognize it for medical use. With respect to PTSD, the Canadian Forces have also suggested there is insufficient evidence to authorize marijuana use and could even be detrimental to veterans’ health.

Marijuana remains a highly contested medicine for various scientific, political and social reasons. That is obvious. However, the auditor general report reaffirms how it and the policies surrounding the medical treatments for Canadian veterans require significant clarification.

http://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/letters/0506-edit-richert-view

Back to top Go down

Post by Panserbjørn Thu 05 May 2016, 09:32

I have recently gone through the process of getting a medical cannabis prescription while still serving. I went through Marijuana for Trauma. Now 3B as of April 19th. I did not fill the prescription while serving because VAC would not cover it. I then filled the prescription the 2nd of May, purchasing it myself because I did not know how to get it covered by VAC.

Apparently the prescription that was written had the incorrect expected release date. My Licensed Producer actually caught the mistake today and is now putting in for VAC coverage as we speak.

If anyone has any questions, I will answer anything that I can.

- Panserbjørn

Panserbjørn
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next