Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans

Go down

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans Empty Re: New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans

Post by Teentitan Sun 26 Mar 2017, 16:29

Now if we can get the GoC to "classify" a spouse leaving his/her job when posted from "quiting" to "layed off, or transfer" so the spouse can collect Unemployment insurance then transfers will be even easier for serving members with this new program.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans Empty New employment help for spouses of Canadian Armed Forces

Post by Guest Sun 26 Mar 2017, 16:18

New employment help for spouses of Canadian Armed Forces

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans 8468d3b231a150715358bc810acab1e8?s=66&d=identicon&r=G CLAIRE THEOBALD

Published on: March 26, 2017 | Last Updated: March 26, 2017 1:21 PM MDT

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans $
Master Warrant Officer Don Cormier, right, is greeted enthusiastically by his wife, Jennifer Cormier, at the Lecture Training Facility at CFB Edmonton in Edmonton, Alta., on Friday, Dec. 13, 2013. Approximately 35 members of the Canadian Armed Forces returned to Edmonton from Afghanistan.

Military spouses across Canada will be able to get help in finding a new career as the METSpouse program expands nationwide this April.

Canada Company – a federal charity that helps military members transition into civilian life with a focus on finding new employment – in partnership with Military Family Services, plans to expand their METSpouse program coast to coast on April 19.

METSpouse is designed to address underemployment among spouses of active, reserve and retired members of the Canadian Armed Forces by leveraging opportunities through the Canada Company’s existing Military Employment Transition Program, which helps members of the Canadian Armed Forces transition into civilian careers.

The issue affects as many as 4,300 military families in the Edmonton area alone.

“The METSpouse program recognizes that the spouses of our military and veterans face unique employment realities and challenges,” said Canada Company president Angela Mondou, in a statement. “METSpouse is a chance to put our expertise to work for military spouses while creating more opportunities for Canadian businesses to benefit from our remarkable military community.”

Launched as a pilot program between December and April 2016, the METSpouse program found stable employment for 51 military spouses in seven locations from Manitoba to Nova Scotia.

The program already has 375 spouses registered who are ready to match their skills and experience with careers offered by more than 120 employer partners.

“The METSpouse program changed my life,” said Julianne Oakes, a military spouse. “Belairdirect hired me directly from the program’s job fair in Ottawa and I’ve fallen in love with my new career. It’s given me a renewed purpose and empowered me to dream big again.”

For more information, go to the Military Employment Transition Program website: https://www.metforce.ca/met/en/

https://twitter.com/ClaireTheobald

ctheobald@postmedia.com

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/new-employment-help-for-spouses-of-canadian-armed-forces

Back to top Go down

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans Empty Re: New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans

Post by Teentitan Fri 24 Mar 2017, 11:31

Well this sounds promising.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans Empty New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans

Post by Guest Fri 24 Mar 2017, 05:36

New Transition Program Launched for Canada's Veterans

OTTAWA, March 23, 2017 /CNW/ - Today on Parliament Hill, a number of Canada's Veterans were joined by Parliamentarians and special guests to announce the new Veteran Friendly Transition Program (VFTP), a national program to support Canada's servicemen and women as they transition from service into the workforce.

"I had the privilege of leading the men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces at home and abroad for over 30 years," said Lieutenant General (ret`d) Honourable Andrew Leslie, PC MP and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, who hosted the announcement on Parliament Hill. "I know what value these Veterans can bring to Canada as civilians and I am delighted to see how this program can help hundreds more get and keep great jobs."  

Every year, the Canadian Armed Forces releases about 5000 men and women from service. Although a number choose retirement, many more want to transition to a civilian career, putting their skills and talents to work in a different way. That transition, however, is not always easy for Canada's Veterans as they face varying social, academic and financial challenges in finding employment and establishing a new career.

"Leaving the military and the men and women that you serve with can be very overwhelming at times," explained Master Corporal (ret'd) Michael McBride, who was released after 13 years with the military and three tours in Afghanistan. "There are so many complicated things that you have to learn to do as you go through the stages of transition, when all you really want is to provide for your family. For me, going back to school was very important to regain my confidence, to develop new skills and study along side other veterans just like me. It reminded me of how we worked together to serve this nation."

The new VFTP will combine career counselling, personal and professional support and course offerings, all under one roof, simplifying the transition process for Veteran students. Willis College, Canada's oldest college, will be home to the first pilot.

"Willis College is pleased to be the first post-secondary institution in Canada to work with the VFTP," said stated Rima Aristocrat VFTP Founder and CEO of Willis College Canada. "Willis College has a long and proud tradition of supporting Canada's Veterans and is pleased to be a part of this new and important program for our Veterans."

Many industry leaders are supporters of the initiative, already knowing the benefit of hiring Veterans who have trained for a new career.

"Microsoft is committed to helping current and former men and women in uniform find new career paths in the technology industry," said Janet Kennedy, President, Microsoft Canada.  "We are pleased to be working with the VFTP and Willis College on this initiative that will establish a solid foundation for success in a new career for Canada's Veterans."

The program was announced on Thursday and registrations will begin in late April. Veterans released from the regular or reserve Canadian Armed Forces, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Provincial Police Forces are eligible to apply and register.

About Veteran Friendly Transition Program

The Veteran Friendly Transition Program (VFTP) is a transition program for Veterans that provides a flexible and supportive Veteran-friendly career and learning environment that will help enable Veterans to find gainful and meaningful employment following their service to Canada. Developed by and for Veterans, the program includes three components: a career and employment support program; a personal support program; and a training support program. The VFTP helps to ensure that Veterans have the skills and abilities to effectively transition from military to civilian life. More information is available on the new website: http://www.vftp.ca/

SOURCE Willis College  

For further information: For more information or to schedule interviews: Dan Planetta, E: dan.planetta@williscollege.com, P: 613-233-1128

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/new-transition-program-launched-for-canadas-veterans-616960614.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum