Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brothers-in-arms honour Gordon Stewart, victim of ‘Black Widow’

Go down

Brothers-in-arms honour Gordon Stewart, victim of ‘Black Widow’ Empty Brothers-in-arms honour Gordon Stewart, victim of ‘Black Widow’

Post by Guest Mon 25 Sep 2017, 06:30

Brothers-in-arms honour Gordon Stewart, victim of ‘Black Widow’

Published on September 25, 2017

Brothers-in-arms honour Gordon Stewart, victim of ‘Black Widow’ Image
Family members of Gordon Stewart hold candles in tribute to their loved one during a sunset wreath laying ceremony in Wood Islands Presbyterian Cemetery on Saturday. From left, are Evan Stewart, Kevin Stewart, Joan Reeves, Kate Reeves and Linda Stewart.

While the recognition was long overdue, Gordon Stewart was never forgotten by his brothers-in arms.

The P.E.I. veteran, who was killed 26 years ago, was honoured by about 50 family members, friends and fellow veterans in a candlelight ceremony on Saturday in Wood Islands Presbyterian Church cemetery.

Terry Randall, who served with Stewart and organized the event, said he had also received emails and calls from veterans across the country about Stewart since he began planning the ceremony.

“No soldier or veteran will ever be forgotten,” said Randall. “If they have fallen on a far away battlefield in a conflict or domestically, as long as one of us stays here still breathing, no veteran is going to be forgotten.”

Stewart was killed by Melissa Ann Shepard, often referred to as the Internet Black Widow, on April 27, 1991. He was 44-year-old.

However, Randall noted that he didn’t hear about Stewart’s death until he moved to Nova Scotia from B.C. in 2008.

He then spent about nine years searching for his friend’s resting place, which a fellow veteran, Tony Giacomelli, recently discovered.

“It took me nine years to find Gordie,” said Randall, who described Stewart as the kind of person who would ‘give you the shirt off his back’. “Gordie, you’re never going to be a forgotten soldier. And like we always say in the airborne, ‘fair winds and soft landings’.”

Brothers-in-arms honour Gordon Stewart, victim of ‘Black Widow’ Image
The late Gordon Stewart.

The evening saw a number of stories shared about Stewart throughout the night.

Randall shared how his friend had a tattoo reading his last name “Stewart” on his lower lip that he would often show.

“He always said ‘I’m Gordie Stewart from P.E.I., Bud the Spud from the Mud,’ and he’d pull down his lip every time,” said Randall, with a laugh. “I’ll remember that until the day I die.”

Those at the ceremony also looked over a photo album of Stewart in his younger days. A moment of silence was also held.

Donald Gallant, who served with Stewart in Germany in the 1960’s and later in the Canadian Airborne Regiment, said his friend deserved the overdue recognition.

“He never had a proper veteran’s funeral, his brothers-in-arms didn’t show up,” said Gallant. “We’re friends but we’re still brothers-in-arms. If it came to a conflict, he’s got my back… you depend on that guy for your life, that’s how close you get to a person, so this means a lot.”

Stewart’s brother, Brian, thanked Randall for putting the effort into finding his brother and organizing the ceremony, as well as those who showed up.

“He was an honourable, fun loving guy, he never hurt anybody in his life,” said Brian. “I know Gordon would be very proud and very humbled to know we’re honouring him in this way.”

Stewart’s sister, Kate Reeves, also expressed thanks for the group holding the ceremony.

“I think it’s pretty special, God bless them for doing it,” she said.

The evening ended with individuals laying poppies on Stewart’s headstone.

Mitchell.macdonald@theguardian.pe.ca

https://twitter.com/Mitch_PEI

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/local/2017/9/25/brothers-in-arms-honour-gordon-stewart--victim-of-black-widow.html

Back to top Go down