Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Alcholism claimable through VAC

2 posters

Go down

Is Alcholism claimable through VAC Empty Alcohol is claimable through VAC

Post by metaller Tue 20 Mar 2018, 17:13

Anything found in the 2006 Table of disabilities is pensionable even if it not found List/Hidden from the EEG list A-Z

metaller
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2017-03-07

Back to top Go down

Is Alcholism claimable through VAC Empty Re: Is Alcholism claimable through VAC

Post by Guest Tue 20 Mar 2018, 16:02

no, it`s all good, how VAC plans to deal with my application will decide how I pursue it. If they want more information I have my entire file, charges reports etc., if they deny it on the grounds I was an alcoholic before I ever joined the service, how did I make it through screening in the first place? If they say, my drinking is because I have PTSD I`ll fight that too,

Back to top Go down

Is Alcholism claimable through VAC Empty Alcoholism and PTSD

Post by metaller Tue 20 Mar 2018, 15:13

Cant tell you what to do in this case, but if you put in for Alcoholism or PTSD as a primary disability you have no choice but fight it. The Australian Korean War Veterans Studies is only information for veterans who had service between 1950-1956 in Korea, however if you had service in any other SDA or combat areas some have studies on them that you can use. An example is the Health study for Vietnam veterans.
In your case, if you don't have a study that was done based on service, you will have to show a casual relationship between service and the disability in accordance to compensation principle. If you served in an SDA or Wartime service under the Insurance Principle you would not have to( found on page 7 of the Insurance principle).
I don't have enough knowledge for the time of your service and really don't feel comfortable giving you advice that may be incorrect. If you served between 1950-1956 in Korea, I would feel very comfortable giving you advice in regards to the studies I refered to, but I am very comfortable telling you about the EEG's and the missing information so that all veterans know they can claim 2 primary diseases attributed to service instead of 1 primary and the other being consequential. In your case if you have to prove service relationship, it will be a little more difficult as you don't have a study proving this for you as the onset(start) of the disabilities.
My advice is to find out from someone who has been through the same service time period as you and hopefully they can help you with the information you need. Sorry I couldn't help further.

Last edited by metaller on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 16:42; edited 1 time in total

metaller
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Mar 2018, 14:06

I was released 04 medically for physical issue. Diagnoised PTSD 06, but through my whole career I was plagued with alcohol problems, numerous military charges, sent on a failed rehab course for misuse while in, I was never "cured" and left an alcoholic and am still one today.
I submitted a claim for the alcoholism caused by my years in the service, it all started in the first 10 years of my career, never mine what happened overseas that caused my ptsd in the later quarter of my career.
so what do you think will happen with this 2nd claim, all one has to do is open my medical file and see the history of booze related incidents that coincide that what was being done to me by the military at each given time.
If they turn it down, should I get a lawyer?

Back to top Go down

Is Alcholism claimable through VAC Empty Alcoholism and PTSD

Post by metaller Tue 20 Mar 2018, 13:57

I you served in Korea between 1950-1956 The Australian Mortality, Cancer Incidence , and Health studies prove that Alcoholism and PTSD are both primary entitled conditions
Alcoholism is proven in Korean vets in the Health Study 2005 Australian Korean War Veterans under Chapter 6.4 "Health Behaviors: Smoking and Alcohol Consumption showing that Korean vets consumed alcohol in higher quantities that the Australian civilian males as the comparison group. Also PTSD has its own section as a Primary disease with respect to both diseases having there onset(start) in Korea.
As each disease has had its onset in Korea, they could not have caused each other as they are primary diseases
What you are reading is also true, but, is used in a different sense. That would be Alcoholism as the primary disease and PTSD as the secondary consequential disability resulting from the Alcoholism.
You would want to put in separate claims for Alcoholism and PTSD as Primary individual claims and then put in a claim for PTSD as a consequential disability resulting from your claimable Alcoholism as a primary disease. You would get full entitlement for the primary conditions if successful, and partial entitle for PTSD as a result of Alcoholism as the primary.

You would use the information you mentioned as evidence in your consequential disability claim and for the primary for Alcoholism.

Remember, VAC is only showing info they want you to see so that you don't apply for both as primary diseases instead apply for one primary and one as a consequential disability.
Look at it this way, would you want to pay full entitlement for 2 primary diseases or would you pay full for 1 and 1/5 for the other?

This is why Hypertension has been left on the EEG list and kidney disease has been removed from the list. It shows kidney disease has been caused by hypertension. Which is fine in civilian life. But, the Australian studies prove that your service in Korea has caused the onset for your kidney disease. It was not caused by hypertension. Look under the disease in the EEG A-Z list and you will not find any of the Australian studies listed, only civilian health studies. If you are awarded Alcoholism as a primary service related injury or disease under sec 45 1 a of the act you will then be awarded PTSD as a non entitled condition under sec 451b and sec 46 as non entitle injury or disease as a consequence of alcoholism.
Hiding information from disability applicants is the cheaper way to go.
Anything found in the Australian Korean War Veterans Studies is a Primary Disability as it had its onset(start) with your service in Korea.

metaller
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Tue 20 Mar 2018, 12:08

Artie
I maybe wrong but according to Causes I am interpreting it that Alcoholism is not the cause of PTSD but rather PTSD is the cause/contributing factor to cause of Vet’s Alcoholism. Now that’s just what I gather from vac site. But VAC puts their own spin to suit them

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Is Alcholism claimable through VAC Empty Is Alcholism claimable through VAC

Post by Guest Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:38

I see a form for it, but others have said that if the military drove you to drink it`s lumped in with PTSD symptoms, my career became riddled with alcohol problems, which is evident in my pers file. I was not diagnoised with PTSD until 2 years after leaving the forces. Therefore IMO I contacted the earlier "disease" years before I experienced the situations that caused my PTSD?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum