Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims

4 posters

Go down

I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims Empty Re: I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jun 2018, 22:12

bigrex wrote:it would really depend on why they think you are getting the headaches. If they only happen after being out among people, it could be caused by anxiety, and a rise n blood pressure, or they could be caused by an undiagnosed neurological condition.
that`s where I get confused, I realize VAC states that PTSD,anxiety,depression are all under one blanket, but what if one or more of these conditions are causing a new condition?

Back to top Go down

I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims Empty Re: I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims

Post by bigrex Thu 07 Jun 2018, 05:56

it would really depend on why they think you are getting the headaches. If they only happen after being out among people, it could be caused by anxiety, and a rise n blood pressure, or they could be caused by an undiagnosed neurological condition.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jun 2018, 23:10

What about sever headaches/migraines are they a separate claim, or do they fall under you get headaches because you have PTSD, or Depression or Anxiety or Alcoholism or...

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Mon 04 Jun 2018, 22:00

Oh my all this is just to frazzling for me. VAC agitates the bejesus out of me. It’s been at Step 3 since Aug 2017 and when adjudicated it will probably be denied Well that’s just cruel.

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Mon 04 Jun 2018, 20:57

Newfie wrote:czerv, an guess on % for IBS?  Should I be lucky enough to be awarded on my consequential claim. Thanks

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-14-2006#t05

Table 14.5 - Other Impairment - Small Bowel, Large Bowel, Rectum and Anus

is the TD I presume that would fall under for IBS

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Mon 04 Jun 2018, 20:47

Sorry Newfie, do not know. It is probably written somewhere but navigating VAC info is like looking for a needle in .... . I guess they should hire few hundred more to make it more user friendly.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Mon 04 Jun 2018, 18:14

czerv, an guess on % for IBS?  Should I be lucky enough to be awarded on my consequential claim. Thanks

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:15

This is from the Entitlement guidelines for PTSD

B. Medical Conditions Which Are To Be Included in Entitlement/Assessment

NOTE: If specific conditions are listed for a category, only these conditions are included in the entitlement and assessment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. If no conditions are listed for a category, all conditions within the category are included in the entitlement and assessment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
•Other Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders
•Anxiety Disorders
•Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
•Depressive Disorders
•Bipolar and Related Disorders
•Schizophrenia Spectrum and other Psychotic Disorders
•Personality Disorders
•Feeding and Eating Disorders
•Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
•Dissociative Disorders
•Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders ◦Somatic Symptom Disorder
◦Illness Anxiety Disorder
◦Conversion Disorder

•Pain Disorders/Chronic Pain Syndrome (DSM-IV-TR Axis I Diagnosis)
•Sleep-Wake Disorders ◦Insomnia Disorder
◦Hypersomnolence Disorder

•Neurodevelopmental Disorders ◦Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

•Decreased Libido - if the medical information indicates decreased libido is a symptom of a psychiatric condition

So when making a claim for PTSD, all of these other conditions would be considered as simply covered by the PTSD approval. That is why people have been approved for consequential claims for TMJ, and sleep apnea, because they are the physical consequences of PTSD. As far as Erectile Dysfunction is concerned, it's quite possible to be considered a consequential claim, because the inability to become erect when aroused, is vastly different than the inability to become aroused (loss of libido).
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims Empty GAD

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jun 2018, 10:07

What about Generalized Anxiety Disorder?...separate claim, or is that too also considered "just" PTSD?

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Mon 04 Jun 2018, 08:38

Artie,
This is a puzzle for me also. I guess they lump it together so your % stays lower ... Put ED as a separate claim (and that is good). Consequential to PTSD, use of medication, etd. Shoul be 'worth' about 20% (if I am not mistaken).
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jun 2018, 00:08

but, something like my erectile dysfunction would be a separate claim, or would VAC " oh you have that because you have ptsd,"

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 30 May 2018, 22:23

It's because they are both considered mental health conditions, and are considered "bracketed" for the DA. The same often happens with Degenerative Disk Disease, and Stenosis. Even though they are different diagnosis, they both affect the same part of the body.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims Empty I may have asked this question before, How are PTSD and Depression NOT separate VAC claims

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2018, 13:04

I know vets who have become alcoholics due to their time in the military, I also know soldiers diagnosed with Depression and still others with PTSD, and all may have that one claim in with VAC for review. And yet its possible for a vet to have 1,2, or all 3 conditions that were caused by different experiences he/she suffered during their career and each disease is causing them different types of disability...and yet if you claim more than one ailment, VAC just lumps everything together as PTSD. How is that? A Doctor will tell you Depression is a separate condition than PTSD, why does not a professionals take on this matter to VAC?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down