Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PFL

+17
bulldozer
BinRat
Rifleman
bosn181
Iceman
propat
SIGS PIGS
Supremedebater
Vet1234
czerv
Teager
Sailor63
Tango-33
exarmyguy
Armygunner
bigrex
Ireland102
21 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

PFL  - Page 9 Empty Re: PFL

Post by exarmyguy Sat 08 Dec 2018, 16:30

the monthly pension or lump sum is only for people getting out after april 1 2019. anyone who already got a lump sum before only gets a monthly pension. I am guessing by the time it is all said and done most people who already got a lump sum will not get anything but some may get like 100 or 200 a month for life.

exarmyguy
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2018-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS Sat 08 Dec 2018, 16:03

Good afternoon everyone,

The purpose of the Pain and Suffering Compensation
(PSC) is to recognize and compensate a serving member
or Veteran for the pain and suffering experienced as a
direct result of his or her service-related disability. This
includes impacts on the Veteran’s overall quality of life
and family (surviving spouse, common-law partner and/
or dependent children). A Veteran can choose to receive
the PSC as monthly payments for the remainder of his
or her life, or to cash the monthly amount out for a lump
sum payment.
The PSC is expected to come into effect April 1, 2019.
Any future disability benefit applications after March 31,
2019, will be for the Pain and Suffering Compensation
because it is replacing the current Disability Award.
ELIGIBILITY
Any member and Veteran with a disability resulting from
a service-related illness and/or injury will be eligible
to apply for the PSC. However, not all members and
Veterans will receive the same level of payment.
Note
: In order to benefit from the introduction of
this new benefit, members and Veterans who have
received the Disability Award since 2006 may receive
an additional monthly amount. The calculation of this
additional monthly amount is determined by taking into
consideration the actual amount of Disability Award
previously paid to the member or Veteran, the amount
that could have been received as a monthly payment
and mortality rates.
PAYMENT CALCULATION
The amount of money that the member or Veteran
receives as part of the PSC is directly related to the
extent of the service-related disability. As part of
the application process, a Veterans Affairs Canada
adjudicator reviews the member’s or Veteran’s service
and medical history. Following an assessment of both
the extent of disability, and whether or not service is
the cause, a specific level of disability is assigned to
the member or Veteran. It is this level of disability that
determines the monthly PSC payment.
NON-TAXABLE BENEFIT
This specific benefit is not taxable because it
compensates for pain and suffering.
PAYMENT AND DELIVERY
Members and Veterans may choose from two different
payment methods:

A monthly payment for the remainder of their lives

A lump sum cash out.
If the member or Veteran changes his or her mind in the
future and wishes to stop receiving a monthly payment,
he or she may instead receive the balance of the PSC in
a lump sum payment.
PAGE 1 / 2
FACTSHEET
PAIN AND SUFFERING COMPENSATION
FOR FULL DETAILS, PLEASE VISIT
VETERANS

Somebody explain to me how they see us getting monthly pension and not Lump Sum if they decide they want the Lump sum. its states it right here in this document

cheers,

SIGS PIGS

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Wed 05 Dec 2018, 00:02

i think the 84 years was an example from them if you check out the new stats i think its down to 80.9 for men life span now with so many overdoses and deaths of younger men.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue 04 Dec 2018, 12:06

just to expand a little on the rough calculation.

the 26 years is based on 360,000 paid out
360,000 / 12 / 1150.

that value is less for each preceding year, you need to consider what the amount was in that year, PLUS what the retro adjustment would have brought it up to. i don't have those numbers

the longer it was since the lump sum payout, the 360,000 would be less.
for example, if the year you got the lumps sum the 100%payout + the total retro payment was 300,000, the years would be 300,000 / 12 / 1150 or 22 years (you can substitute that number instead of 26

i don't have the numbers, to determine what the total 100% value paid would have been if the payment was made in 2006 etc..

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon 03 Dec 2018, 22:48

I’ve come up with a very rough way to figure out the PFL for lump sum recipients. Again, very rough

Take their magic age of 84 and your age as of April to get the number of years of payments they will pay. ( they will pay after age of 84, this is just the magic number)

Then reduce those years by 26. The years worth of payments they already made

Add the difference in years from when you got the payment.

This is the number of years worth of payments, they will pay, BUT spread out over 84 less your current age.

For example, let’s say some is 55 as of April, and they got a lump sum at age 50

84 - 55 - 26 + 5 = 8

So that is 8 years of payments spread out over 29 years (84-55) or 8/29 or 27%
So basically 27% of the percent of pension your receive
For 100%. 1150 x .27 = 310.00. Again, extremely rough calculation

Iceman
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Mon 03 Dec 2018, 16:59

iceman you are correct big money saver . this will not be a no cost change but a money saver . 4% witch you can easily get can get you $1200.00 a month . the GOC will buy your buyout from you for a $1150.00 annuity , cheep bastages . but that cheep trick just isn't good enough for them ohhh nooo sir . how can we take that buyout from you and not pay for it ???? hmm lets see ???? hey the CIAS is worth about the same as the monthly pension lets just eliminate that same thing but without the big backlash and legal issues of eliminating the pain and suffering benefit all together . fracking wonderful !!!!!

what a bunch of lying backstabbing but eating no good for nothing frackers .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon 03 Dec 2018, 11:43

The only thing they did with the pension for life was save themselves money.

The way the numbers work out, it is the same as if someone took the lump sum spread out over 26 years. The ONLY benefit, is that you keep getting the amount after the 26 years.

The way they are saving money, is that the payment is exactly the same as if it was invested with an average rate of return of 4%, and using the interest as income.

HOWEVER, after everything is said and done, the government still has the original lump sum amount.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Mon 03 Dec 2018, 11:03

And I’m sorry but $360,000 or $750,000 does not replace or make up for scars, tears, pain and emotional trauma. People that haven’t served they’re country get treated better if they’ve been hurt or injured. I tell all young people not to join the service. This country does not care about the Veteran

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2016-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:58

So the lump is in fact spread out over life or they wouldn’t be going back and figuring if a vet is further entitled.

I have to congratulate the Government, they’re very slick and very dumb at the same time. All veterans, if you expect a windfall of money or even a monthly increase your mistaken. If you’ve received lump sums, enjoy it because it was the last. And if you expect to get $1100 a month, your going to be further disappointed. NVC vets are and have been getting screwed, expect it going forward people. Nothing has changed here. The PFL is a scam....as many already know. It’s like when’s we we’re supposed to get the top up of lump sum...we got half what was expected...the Government is not out there to assist and make a Veterans life easier, it’s there to deny and screw. Have fun, most if any will get a monthly payment (if they do) of around $200. No wonder the upper echelon at vac said it won’t cost much to bring in the pfl. Lmao because they’re screwing more Veterans over! How nice of them lol. Sorry I have to laugh at all the hype and bullsh*t to just find out you all got duped like I did also. I’m embarrassed to have served our country and gave up my sanity and body to be duped by officials that don’t give a shit. Man, I hate April now....cause many vets will be very upset!

Supreme out

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:49

“It is only available as a monthly payment for life”

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:48

Hi Xxxxx,

With the introduction of Pension for Life on April 1, 2019, all members and Veterans who have received a Disability Award (DA) since April 1, 2006, will have their cases reviewed to see whether they would have received more under Pension for Life’s new Pain and Suffering Compensation (PSC) had it been available at the time they received their DA.

If they would have received more through the Pain and Suffering Compensation, they will receive an additional monthly amount. The additional monthly amount is above and beyond what you would have received as a lump sum Disability Award (DA) payment. It is only available as a monthly payment for life.

Regards,

VAC Social Media Team

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 27 Nov 2018, 13:06

DEC is not a benefit. You have ELB, which was designed to give financial support while taking part in the rehab program. If deemed DEC, and unable to re-enter the workforce, they pay out ELB to age 65, and call it EELB (extended earnings loss), but it's not technically a separate benefit from the basic ELB. Then there was the RISB, which was introduced by this Liberal Government, to extend income support, after age 65 , but at a reduced rate. The IRB is basically taking those three elements of two different benefits, and rolling it into one benefit, but changing very little about any of them.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2018, 09:44

Teager wrote:Bigrex read the Q & A at the link I posted all those questions are answered. The minimum amount is $48k. It also says that if DEC you will be given the 1% if under 20 years of service and under 65 years old.
yes, l agree, I dont think IRB is the new name for ELB, simply because in the post above from whatever source it says IRB is designed to help a vet who is struggling, but the catch words are that it exists "for life".to Me that indicates DEC because that is the current VAC program that exists for a vet forever ( with assessments every 2 years), but the current ELB is designed to last 2 years only, yes there are vets who have been on ELB 5 years, but it's not advertised as a " for life" program, that's why I'm feeling this new IRB 1% bonus will only be for those vets on a "for life" program ...which is currentlyDEC,not ELB.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Tue 27 Nov 2018, 08:18

Bigrex read the Q & A at the link I posted all those questions are answered. The minimum amount is $48k. It also says that if DEC you will be given the 1% if under 20 years of service and under 65 years old.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 27 Nov 2018, 07:23

See, I do not see anything that states that the 1% on IRB, is restricted to those members who are deemed DEC as well. If anything, this is just another cost saving measure, because under the ELB, they will add the COLA for every year, between their release and whenever the Veteran is approved for ELB, even if it's several years beyond past the 20 years of service mark.

19 Subject to section 21 and for the purpose of subsection 19(1) of the Act, the imputed income of a veteran referred to in subsection 9(1) of the Act is equal to

• (a) in the case of a veteran who was released from the regular force, the greater of the veteran’s monthly military salary at the time of release, adjusted until the benefit is payable, and the monthly military salary for a senior private in the standard pay group at the time the benefit is payable; and

21 (1) The monthly military salary referred to in sections 18 to 20 shall be adjusted annually on January 1 in accordance with the percentage increase to the Consumer Price Index, rounded to the next 0.25%, for the year ending on September 30 of the previous year.

I also don't recall seeing anything about a minimum IRB, so even  someone gets injured really early in their career, they may get shafted.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum: