Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TINNITUS - REASSESSMENT

+4
Unknown Soldier
propat
45jim
AirLog
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TINNITUS - REASSESSMENT Empty Re: TINNITUS - REASSESSMENT

Post by Iceman Thu 01 Aug 2019, 16:08

Unknown Soldier wrote:
Rifleman wrote:Here’s what happen to me had a claim in prior to NVC also had a claim in for another condition so this is what they did the later claim went through thus putting me over 100 percent so when they finally got to a decision on first.claim they paid me me back pay up to the date the new NVC CAME OUT 2006 Because I was over the 100 percent mark this was a big money saver for them
So no matter what the disability claim was for, as long as the veteran submitted it before the changes to the PA, even though it was denied at the time, if a new claim is opened now for the same injury only this time its approved, that % will be added to the veterans PA monthly disability amount.?

correct.
i only vaguely remember filing the claim in the 90's and it was denied (i did collect sisip until i could make more working however, maybe the claim was the same time?)

it is in the last few years, it and a few other issues got worse, so submitted a new claim. all claims were awarded.
all my other claims except that one i got DAs for
that one, they did a a departmental review initiated by them, and converted it to a PA, instead of a DA

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 01 Aug 2019, 11:34

Rifleman wrote:Here’s what happen to me had a claim in prior to NVC also had a claim in for another condition so this is what they did the later claim went through thus putting me over 100 percent so when they finally got to a decision on first.claim they paid me me back pay up to the date the new NVC CAME OUT 2006 Because I was over the 100 percent mark this was a big money saver for them
So no matter what the disability claim was for, as long as the veteran submitted it before the changes to the PA, even though it was denied at the time, if a new claim is opened now for the same injury only this time its approved, that % will be added to the veterans PA monthly disability amount.?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Thu 01 Aug 2019, 07:51

Here’s what happen to me had a claim in prior to NVC also had a claim in for another condition so this is what they did the later claim went through thus putting me over 100 percent so when they finally got to a decision on first.claim they paid me me back pay up to the date the new NVC CAME OUT 2006 Because I was over the 100 percent mark this was a big money saver for them

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 01 Aug 2019, 05:46

Iceman wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Iceman wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:I put in a hearing claim in 04, though l had tinnitus as well I thought it was all one disability and applied for nothing, 2 years ago l had a new hearing test done this dr. Found damage as well as recognized the tinnitus and recommended a noise reduction device on the spot, everything is in the hands of vac, coming up on a year and a half, if VAC agrees to the disability would it become a monthly % versus a lump sum because the original denied claim first went in in 2004.? I’ve heard guys say, they were turned down for a lower back claim in 05 etc, then reapplied this year with a new X-ray and they received retro pay with their disability approval this time, and the % say 5%, was added to their overall % from other injuries back in 05, so their monthly sum when from 55% to 60%, or whatever. Is that how reopening this hearing claim will work.?

i had a claim a few years back, that was related to a denied claim from the early 90's
i ended up with a PA pension for the amount, not a disability award.
it also got retro payments for 2 years (max retro they will pay)
thanks, and was the reason for the successful claim this time, solely based on just a new audio gram.?

It wasn’t a hearing claim, it was for something else. Just saying, if it can be linked to a prior claim, it becomes pension, not da.

As an FYI, a pension of 5% is worth 142. ( plus additional for spouse and kids), way better than pension for life.  A 5% PFL would be about 55.00
that’s what I’m asking, will my hearing claim be treated the way vets who are resubmitting back claims are getting their % added to the old PA system because they originally put in a claim that was denied decades ago. I’m worried VAC is going to say, “when we tested your hearing in 2004 it was fine, if it’s damaged now it’s because of something that happened since you got out” and/or though l have tinnitus, I didn’t apply in 2004 so it’s a brand new claim, but yeah I did the math, if l was given a lump sum for the injury, a monthly sum would catch up to that amount in 7 years, but I hope to be alive three times that, so I’d miss out on roughly $35,000 over my lifetime
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed 31 Jul 2019, 23:04

Unknown Soldier wrote:
Iceman wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:I put in a hearing claim in 04, though l had tinnitus as well I thought it was all one disability and applied for nothing, 2 years ago l had a new hearing test done this dr. Found damage as well as recognized the tinnitus and recommended a noise reduction device on the spot, everything is in the hands of vac, coming up on a year and a half, if VAC agrees to the disability would it become a monthly % versus a lump sum because the original denied claim first went in in 2004.? I’ve heard guys say, they were turned down for a lower back claim in 05 etc, then reapplied this year with a new X-ray and they received retro pay with their disability approval this time, and the % say 5%, was added to their overall % from other injuries back in 05, so their monthly sum when from 55% to 60%, or whatever. Is that how reopening this hearing claim will work.?

i had a claim a few years back, that was related to a denied claim from the early 90's
thanks, and was the reason for the successful claim this time, solely based on just a new audio gram.?

It wasn’t a hearing claim, it was for something else. Just saying, if it can be linked to a prior claim, it becomes pension, not da.

As an FYI, a pension of 5% is worth 142. ( plus additional for spouse and kids), way better than pension for life. A 5% PFL would be about 55.00

Iceman
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 31 Jul 2019, 19:00

Iceman wrote:

Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed 31 Jul 2019, 18:45

Iceman
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 31 Jul 2019, 15:39

I put in a hearing claim in 04, though l had tinnitus as well I thought it was all one disability and applied for nothing, 2 years ago l had a new hearing test done this dr. Found damage as well as recognized the tinnitus and recommended a noise reduction device on the spot, everything is in the hands of vac, coming up on a year and a half, if VAC agrees to the disability would it become a monthly % versus a lump sum because the original denied claim first went in in 2004.? I’ve heard guys say, they were turned down for a lower back claim in 05 etc, then reapplied this year with a new X-ray and they received retro pay with their disability approval this time, and the % say 5%, was added to their overall % from other injuries back in 05, so their monthly sum when from 55% to 60%, or whatever. Is that how reopening this hearing claim will work.?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 29 Jul 2019, 16:10

Dave, with a masking device you will get bumped up to I believe it is 11%, which is the max for tinnitus. I’ve heard some had to send in the masking device number and stuff. But when I did mine the audiologist did all my paperwork and stuff so I didn’t have to send in anything, they took care of it, and I didn’t have to wait to long. Mine was a reassessment as I was 4% at first. Took around 3 months, maybe little less. But with the way things are lately, it’s hard to know how long it will take. Good luck.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Mon 29 Jul 2019, 15:48

I was approved at 6% last year for Tinnitus. Today, my doctor prescribed me a noise masking devise and told me it got worse, VAC is sending me a new form to fill out. Does it mean that VAC will bump up my claim to 12%? Also, are reassessments faster then first time applications? Thanks!

daverobitaille@rogers.com
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 06 Jun 2019, 18:14

AirLog wrote:Thanks Propat, she is scheduled for an audiogram in a couple of weeks. She made the appointment and not VAC initiated. Hopefully VAC will accept the results.

UnKnown Soldier, she applied in October 2018 and was approved for Tinnitus at 6% in January 2019. So a very quick turnaround. Good for her. 13 months, this is a bit excessive. Not sure what to recommend about that. To the best of my knowledge, friends that have submitted a tinnitus claim, tinnitus claims have been approved in approximately 3 months. Did you ask a Legion rep to look into this? I found that the Legion has greatly assisted us with any claims, questions, etc.

AirLog
yes, that was my understanding that hearing/tinnitus claims are handled far faster than any others, l phoned and then said they are working on hearing claims from 2017, so I asked if I was supposed to add another year on my wait for a rough estimate of when it would be dealt with...they didn’t have an answer
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Thu 06 Jun 2019, 15:07

Thanks Propat, she is scheduled for an audiogram in a couple of weeks. She made the appointment and not VAC initiated. Hopefully VAC will accept the results.

UnKnown Soldier, she applied in October 2018 and was approved for Tinnitus at 6% in January 2019. So a very quick turnaround. Good for her. 13 months, this is a bit excessive. Not sure what to recommend about that. To the best of my knowledge, friends that have submitted a tinnitus claim, tinnitus claims have been approved in approximately 3 months. Did you ask a Legion rep to look into this? I found that the Legion has greatly assisted us with any claims, questions, etc.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 06 Jun 2019, 11:48

AirLog wrote:I have a Tinnitus question for anyone that has had any experience requesting a review for a masking device.

My wife, who is also a veteran, was approved for her tinnitus claim at 6% in January. Her audiogram was in October 2018. She purchased a white noise device a few years back to mask the loud ringing in her ears to get a better nights sleep but never informed the person conducting the audiogram nor VAC. I advised her that she should have asked, at the time of the audiogram, that she should have told them about the masking device. She recently asked VAC if she could have a review of her condition and they informed her that because it hasn't been two years since her last audiogram she can't have a review. I informed her to book an audiogram, be re-tested, request a masking device and send all to VAC requesting a reconsideration on the % level assigned to her tinnitus claim.

What do you think of this and most importantly what would your advice be?

AirLog
just out of curiosity, how long did your wife wait for tinnitus claim approval, I’ve been at step 3 for 13 months and counting
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Thu 06 Jun 2019, 11:42

yup that seems to make sense but I knew a old vet who was having sleeping troubles for a long time due to this . when he told me about this I explained to him what to do . well he messed it up a bit as it seems he tends to get things mixed up as it turns out . he did the tests got two claims approved and hearing aids as his hearing was worse never mentioned the sleeping issue to the audiologist and didn't think hearing and tinnitus were separate things .

told him to go back to see her and to tell her about the sleeping issue . she ordered the masking device immediately sent all required paperwork to DVA for him and he got his masker and his claim bumped up. all this happened in less than 1 year .

sooo might not hurt to see the audiologist again .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Thu 06 Jun 2019, 10:24

Thanks 45Jim. This is what I thought the outcome would be.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next