Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DDD

4 posters

Go down

DDD  Empty DDD and Pain

Post by derngt Sun 02 Feb 2020, 02:40

Unknown Soldier wrote:If a veteran has numerous complaints of back pain on his file that continues to this day, gets an MRI that shows conclusive Degenerative Disc Disease, but they have full range of motion, it’s only the pain that persists. Is it true, you’re not covered by VAC, someone told me, they don’t recognize “pain” as disabling, and in cases of the back/spine pain is rated as “0” %.

I had an accident in Bosnia where a large log smacked me on the head. I went many years complaining about pain and my neck locking up..Finally I had an MRI and there was noticeable changes and DDD...this ended a promising career and cause me some mental health issues. I was granted the following pension #1 Cervical Disc Disease @ 20%" #2 Adjustment disorder with depressed and anxious mood,chronic pain disorder associated with both Psychological factors and general medical condition...They were all combined for assessment purpose. @ 60% I am pensioned under the old pension act..

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

DDD  Empty Re: DDD

Post by bigrex Sun 02 Feb 2020, 01:01

My first application for lumbar spine, was changed by someone at VAC (without my knowledge, from Lumbar OA, to Mechanical LBP, because they said that the xrays didn't show enough arthritic changes, to justify the pain I was reporting. So VRAB basically said they didn't believe that I was suffering from a back disability. But after a couple of years of excruciating pain, I suddenly stopped being able to pee. The ER ordered a CT scan, and found 2 massive herniated disks, as well as spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal), which cannot be seen on standard X-rays.I required immediate surgery. When I called VAC about the new evidence, proving that I hadn't been making the whole thing up, I was told that because the initial diagnosis was simply for pain (again, not by choice) that I would need to submit a new claim for DDD, which was eventually approved at 2/5ths of a 40% disability. So even though I started complaining about severe back pain in 2005, before I even released, it took until just this past Summer, to exhaust all my options, when VRAB refused to increase my entitlement to 4/5ths, in accordance with VAC's new policy regarding partial entitlements, or even to 3/5ths, which was what my doctor had written, in the application.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by EZRider Thu 30 Jan 2020, 19:33

Unknown Soldier wrote:
Six-Actual wrote:I could be wrong but because DDD is actually age related as opposed to being an acquired injury VAC may not recognize it.

Degenerative disc disease is an age-related condition that happens when one or more of the discs between the vertebrae of the spinal column deteriorates or breaks down, leading to pain. There may be weakness, numbness, and pain that radiates down the leg.

But, again I'm not sure.
yes but military jobs and or incidents that cause a soldier to experience back injury when they are in their prime can be exasperated in old age. Especially if the DDD is at a level that it way above the average for a person of the same age who hadn’t worked in an rigorous job.

I have a review ongoing with the BPA  assisting ( stage 3 at 36 weeks now) for DDD, multiple related documents on file overlooked on the first application....not holding my breath.

I had a reassessment on my knees as the pain was quite bad but because I have decent range of motion (only because I work at it)  I was denied.  Something amiss there.

EZRider
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 30 Jan 2020, 18:54

Six-Actual wrote:I could be wrong but because DDD is actually age related as opposed to being an acquired injury VAC may not recognize it.

Degenerative disc disease is an age-related condition that happens when one or more of the discs between the vertebrae of the spinal column deteriorates or breaks down, leading to pain. There may be weakness, numbness, and pain that radiates down the leg.

But, again I'm not sure.
yes but military jobs and or incidents that cause a soldier to experience back injury when they are in their prime can be exasperated in old age. Especially if the DDD is at a level that it way above the average for a person of the same age who hadn’t worked in an rigorous job.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jan 2020, 16:32

I could be wrong but because DDD is actually age related as opposed to being an acquired injury VAC may not recognize it.

But, again I'm not sure.

Back to top Go down

DDD  Empty DDD

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 30 Jan 2020, 13:04

If a veteran has numerous complaints of back pain on his file that continues to this day, gets an MRI that shows conclusive Degenerative Disc Disease, but they have full range of motion, it’s only the pain that persists. Is it true, you’re not covered by VAC, someone told me, they don’t recognize “pain” as disabling, and in cases of the back/spine pain is rated as “0” %.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum