Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asbestos

5 posters

Go down

Asbestos Empty Re: Asbestos

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 19 Dec 2020, 19:04

The military personnel married quarter homes were synonymous with it too, many built in the 50s
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sat 19 Dec 2020, 12:20

Hi,

I have cancer that appears to have been caused by asbestos. VAC has accepted my claim and everything to do with my cancer is covered by VAC. Initial assessment was at 109% with numerous consequential claims approved without a percentage.

Older buildings on all bases were lined with asbestos. Mine was linked to the time I was a firefighter on an air base where I responded to a terrible aircraft (two) crash into buildings on the base. Spent the night breathing asbestos filled air not to mention the carcinogens being emitted from the burning aircraft.

In addition, and later in my career, I had to review a summary investigation with respect to a Comm's person who was suffering from lung issues and the final report pointed directly at his work in buildings laden with asbestos. Moral of my story is if in doubt submit a claim pointing directly at buildings, etc. laden with asbestos.

In my initial claim I pointed my finger at the extremely dirty air in Syria and Afghanistan as the source of my cancer. Fortunately, there was a note on my file that indicated that I did in fact respond to a fire where there was potentially very toxic particles in the air. In the end VAC agreed that the probable source of my cancer was from the firefighting incident and not the air in Syria and Afghanistan.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Asbestos Empty Asbestos

Post by rcsigsqc@gmail.com Sat 19 Dec 2020, 11:00

Teentitan wrote:Yes VAC and DND are very aware of the asbestos but it doesn't mean they will fully co-operate.

Asbestos was used in practically every building at every base, radar station, remote locations (Golan, Alert) because it was cheap insulation.

So don't rack your brain out of "where did I get this".  Just remember every radar base, military base, barrack block etc you walking into during your career.  You will start to remember the grey stringy-looking floors and walls with flecks of white and black.  Or it looked like someone blew cotton-candy like fluff on the walls in hangars, the rafter of large office buildings.

So ju put stdown on your application all the bases and radar stations you went to during your career.  

Many thanks Teentitan Will start compiling today

rcsigsqc@gmail.com
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 19 Dec 2020, 10:55

Yes VAC and DND are very aware of the asbestos but it doesn't mean they will fully co-operate.

Asbestos was used in practically every building at every base, radar station, remote locations (Golan, Alert) because it was cheap insulation.

So don't rack your brain out of "where did I get this". Just remember every radar base, military base, barrack block etc you walking into during your career. You will start to remember the grey stringy-looking floors and walls with flecks of white and black. Or it looked like someone blew cotton-candy like fluff on the walls in hangars, the rafter of large office buildings.

So just put down on your application all the bases and radar stations you went to during your career.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

rcsigsqc@gmail.com likes this post

Back to top Go down

Asbestos Empty Asbestos

Post by rcsigsqc@gmail.com Sat 19 Dec 2020, 10:41

johnny211 wrote:RcSigs - Hi and welcome. As a Rad Op for 24 yrs, I’m aware what yr talking about. While posted to the Engrs in Gagetown it was discovered that our bldg had asbestos. They actually gave us all a letter stating it.
  3 yrs ago my friend and mentor who was a Rad Op also was full of cancer. I visited him prior to his passing, and he informed me, that his cancer was caused fm working in the zero bunker at the Golan heights. It was well known that it was lined with asbestos. And DVA admitted and took this as evidence.
   I cannot talk on the 3/4 ton, just before my time. But I do know the Radio Relay Vech I worked in for yrs, had a small container inside the pod, that contained coolant to cool the coils, that was poison.
  Someone may be able to shed more light on the 3/4 T. I would go on the Rad Op Facebook page, and ask yr ?..Johnny Out..VVV

Many thanks for quick reply. I also was a Radop, retired in 1980. I was never stationed in Gagetown but spent a lot of time in the barracks during summer concentrations and the odd course. I am glad to see VA is aware of it.

Moe VVV

rcsigsqc@gmail.com
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sat 19 Dec 2020, 10:27

RcSigs - Hi and welcome. As a Rad Op for 24 yrs, I’m aware what yr talking about. While posted to the Engrs in Gagetown it was discovered that our bldg had asbestos. They actually gave us all a letter stating it.
3 yrs ago my friend and mentor who was a Rad Op also was full of cancer. I visited him prior to his passing, and he informed me, that his cancer was caused fm working in the zero bunker at the Golan heights. It was well known that it was lined with asbestos. And DVA admitted and took this as evidence.
I cannot talk on the 3/4 ton, just before my time. But I do know the Radio Relay Vech I worked in for yrs, had a small container inside the pod, that contained coolant to cool the coils, that was poison.
Someone may be able to shed more light on the 3/4 T. I would go on the Rad Op Facebook page, and ask yr ?..Johnny Out..VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Asbestos Empty Asbestos

Post by rcsigsqc@gmail.com Sat 19 Dec 2020, 10:08

As anyone ever had report of asbestos in their lungs. In my case the discovered I had some. I have been wracking my brains to find where I could have been in contact with the stuff. The only place I can think of is inside our 3/4 ton radio van.

RC Sigs

rcsigsqc@gmail.com
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down