Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the Right Path... Blog 30 May 2012

Go down

On the Right Path... Blog 30 May 2012 Empty On the Right Path... Blog 30 May 2012

Post by Teentitan Wed 30 May 2012, 13:36

I was very pleased yesterday as I watched the press conference, held by Ministers Blaney and MacKay, to announce that the Government of Canada would not appeal the Federal Court of Canada ruling with respect to the offset of Pension Act disability benefits from the Service Income Security Insurance Plan - Long Term Disability Plan (SISIP LTD). This was the right thing to do.

The same issue exists at Veterans Affairs Canada with the War Veterans Allowance, the Canadian Forces Income Support Benefit and the Earnings Loss Benefit program under the New Veterans Charter. While the Federal Court ruling specifically addressed the unfairness of the offset within the SISIP LTD, I was also very pleased to see that Veterans Affairs Canada moved quickly to correct this offset within its own programs. I commend Minister Blaney and Veterans Affairs Canada for doing the right thing by proactively harmonizing the Department’s policies and regulations to reflect the planned changes to the SISIP LTD.

I am hopeful that the Government of Canada will move to complete the regulatory process quickly in order to implement these changes and issue compensation.

I want to again acknowledge the efforts of Mr. Manuge and the pro bono legal services provided by McInnes Cooper. Thank you for your work to improve the lives and livelihoods of Veterans.

Guy

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/blog-blogue/post-eng.cfm?162

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum