Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost of Living Increase 2022

4 posters

Go down

Cost of Living Increase 2022 Empty Re: Cost of Living Increase 2022

Post by Steelgunner Mon 31 Oct 2022, 16:14

Letter from VAC today.

There is hope.

From VAC:
“We have adjusted your Income Replacement Benefit to reflect changes to income sources you receive as a result of increases to the Consumer Price Index for 2022.
Your Income Replacement Benefit is calculated considering amounts you receive from other income sources. Many of those income sources use an indexing methodology which differs from that which is used by Veterans Affairs Canada (as prescribed by the Veterans Well-being Act and Regulations).
We have updated your Income Replacement Benefit to reflect changes to indexing rates in 2022 by income sources which are external to Veterans Affairs Canada, such as Canadian Armed Forces Long-term Disability, Canadian Forces Superannuation, Canada Pension Plan and Quebec Pension Plan.
As a result of this update, you will receive an adjustment payment retroactive to January 1, 2022. You may also experience an increase in your Income Replacement Benefit monthly amount (provided there are no other changes affecting your benefit payment or eligibility).”

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner Tue 07 Jun 2022, 15:30

I stopped counting at 100% it’s over but u get nothing for being over the limit unfortunately.  (Except prescription drugs for the injury, so u get something.)

The true cost of living in my opinion is well over 7.5 % in Canada.  Maybe double.

Don’t worry about my energy there’s lots of to go around and VAC and the ombudsman get there fair share. I also have to give a large amount of my energy to POS Dictator Trudeau “AKA Blackface”.  Plus the NDP need some of my energy.  

All good.

Steele

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 07 Jun 2022, 15:07

It is almost impossible to deal with misinformation. Just so we are clear, I am 145% disabled according to VAC, not that the % really matters. VAC does not set the COLA amount nor do they have any power in changing it. So move on from there, hating VAC for COLA is exhausting energy in the wrong place. I try to write facts and I did not cherry-pick any of your incorrect points. The COLA and the way it is calculated affects millions of Canadians not only veterans. There are many senior organizations trying to get the COLA calculation changed. VAC has plenty of shortcomings..it is what it is.AT the end of the day I get 90% of my salary until I am 65 along with additional pain and suffering that is tax-free. So I am getting more than my salary at release. If you feel you are not getting the correct benefits then please email me and I may be able to help. If you are going to argue a topic please know what you are arguing about and where to direct your energy. AT this current level of inflation our Jan 2023 payment will increase by 5.3%

Steelgunner wrote:VAC is actually to blame for a lot of the mess Veterans are in now, not just the COLA calculations.  

Poor service!!!
Length delays!!!
Ever changing policy. I have lived through 3 major changes since I was in service and as a Veteran.  The only reason for the change is to save money in there budget. VAC does not spend their entire budget, and each year gives back money to the Government fund.
Back log of current and former cases.
Not properly train staff.
Ministers that actually have no idea how VAC should be run.
The list could go on…….

Are you an actual Veteran or a VAC employee derngt?

Global inflation is at 7.4%, up from 4.35% in 2021, and 3.18% in 2020. But you seem fine with current rate that VAC gives us. I am not a sheep, and actually VAC did write me back and did see my point.  You can cherry pick my comments and say there wrong or what ever but the man point VAC is not paying out the COLA correctly and should change there out dated policy of paying below current inflation values.  If no one ever says any thing then it remains status quo.  No reason to email you, that’s actually funny u suggested that.

You should also take this into account derngt before you blast anyone with your superior intelligence on topics.  Keep in mind this cola and current inflation rate is hurting 100% disabled Veterans like myself that are unable to work, find painless moments in both physical and mental health due to 3B release.  I guess someone with a small pension that can work would not even care or notice the increase.  There’s always more to story but some people like to go in guns blazing.  

Peace out
Steele

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner Tue 07 Jun 2022, 14:19

VAC is actually to blame for a lot of the mess Veterans are in now, not just the COLA calculations.  

Poor service!!!
Length delays!!!
Ever changing policy. I have lived through 3 major changes since I was in service and as a Veteran.  The only reason for the change is to save money in there budget. VAC does not spend their entire budget, and each year gives back money to the Government fund.
Back log of current and former cases.
Not properly train staff.
Ministers that actually have no idea how VAC should be run.
The list could go on…….

Are you an actual Veteran or a VAC employee derngt?

Global inflation is at 7.4%, up from 4.35% in 2021, and 3.18% in 2020. But you seem fine with current rate that VAC gives us. I am not a sheep, and actually VAC did write me back and did see my point.  You can cherry pick my comments and say there wrong or what ever but the man point VAC is not paying out the COLA correctly and should change there out dated policy of paying below current inflation values.  If no one ever says any thing then it remains status quo.  No reason to email you, that’s actually funny u suggested that.

You should also take this into account derngt before you blast anyone with your superior intelligence on topics.  Keep in mind this cola and current inflation rate is hurting 100% disabled Veterans like myself that are unable to work, find painless moments in both physical and mental health due to 3B release.  I guess someone with a small pension that can work would not even care or notice the increase.  There’s always more to story but some people like to go in guns blazing.  

Peace out
Steele

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 26 Apr 2022, 06:39

I love how you blame VAC for the way COLA is calculated. True inflation and COLA have always been lower. CPI index excludes food and energy costs is one of the major reasons our COLA is never a true representation. Steelgunner I am sorry but your argument makes no sense. Both new pension and old pension are tax free.No idea what you are saying. The IRB is taxed which is different. A veteran taking a lump sum today is getting today's value.  I agree that COLA should be the actual inflation rate. You should stick to that argument and leave out the other stuff you don't understand. You don't even have the correct COLA rate for VAC. The 2.4% is for CFSA/CPP etc. Our COLA for VAC was 2.7%. Going forward if inflation remains the same the increase in January 2023 will be at least 4.5%. I don't even know how to address your argument that new veterans should be topped up every year. If I decide to take a monthly pension then every January I will get the COLA adjustment. If I take a lump sum I will get the dollar value for today. Did you know that SISIP/Manulife COLA increase is maxed out at 2%? Take that argument on. I can be reached at derngt@gmail.com if you need further explanation.

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Wed 23 Mar 2022, 15:23

Steelgunner wrote:UPDATE:

I have had a few back and forth emails with VAC and they have responded with, “They can see my point”
I have talked to Bureau of Pensions Advocates and they don’t represent these types of issues but after talking to them they agree and have pointed my towards the Veterans Ombudsperson to make a complaint.  

Well as of today the complaint is now registered with the Veterans Ombudsperson. We shall see their responds in hopefully the near future.  Don’t know if they will take up the fight or do I have to go the lawyer route into court.  

Partial E-mail to Ombudsman.
Good Day,

I am writing to you to point out the unfairness of the Cost of Living Increase for Veterans. VAC has admitted they see my point and the  Bureau of Pensions Advocates suggested I take this issue up with you.

I enrolled originally under the original pension act and unfortunately did not make a claim till they change to the newer system which involved to the present system of pension for life.  The original pension as you no is tax free and the new system is partially taxed. So the cost of living increase year after year is unfair to the new veterans.  Please see below my email to VAC & BPA.  In short the present (New)veterans should be topped up each year under a separate fund and this should go back to ever year the Veteran started with VAC.  This is about fairness, the present system gives some veterans more money each year and the gap just keeps getting bigger.
2.4 or what ever the amount is each year is different to Veterans

Original Veteran at $100,000 per year
Gets a true 2.4 % increase. $2,400
New Veteran get a certain % taxed which falls below the other Veterans which is not fair.  A correction is needed ASAP or do Veterans have to go to court for Fairness.

Thank you
XXXXXXXXX

Thank you for advocating. I hope the OVO will actually get off their couch and do something, other than say something should be done and not pushing the gravy train envelope by rocking the boat.
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner Wed 23 Mar 2022, 11:55

UPDATE:

I have had a few back and forth emails with VAC and they have responded with, “They can see my point”
I have talked to Bureau of Pensions Advocates and they don’t represent these types of issues but after talking to them they agree and have pointed my towards the Veterans Ombudsperson to make a complaint.  

Well as of today the complaint is now registered with the Veterans Ombudsperson. We shall see their responds in hopefully the near future.  Don’t know if they will take up the fight or do I have to go the lawyer route into court.  

Partial E-mail to Ombudsman.
Good Day,

I am writing to you to point out the unfairness of the Cost of Living Increase for Veterans. VAC has admitted they see my point and the  Bureau of Pensions Advocates suggested I take this issue up with you.

I enrolled originally under the original pension act and unfortunately did not make a claim till they change to the newer system which involved to the present system of pension for life.  The original pension as you no is tax free and the new system is partially taxed. So the cost of living increase year after year is unfair to the new veterans.  Please see below my email to VAC & BPA.  In short the present (New)veterans should be topped up each year under a separate fund and this should go back to ever year the Veteran started with VAC.  This is about fairness, the present system gives some veterans more money each year and the gap just keeps getting bigger.
2.4 or what ever the amount is each year is different to Veterans

Original Veteran at $100,000 per year
Gets a true 2.4 % increase. $2,400
New Veteran get a certain % taxed which falls below the other Veterans which is not fair.  A correction is needed ASAP or do Veterans have to go to court for Fairness.

Thank you
XXXXXXXXX

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner Wed 16 Mar 2022, 03:36

Thanks the for link but the calculations are not really taking in what’s happening right now with super inflation.   Also think about this, that formula does not take in account the different payment methods VAC pays the different Veterans payment systems.

I am not on the old pension system even no I started in the Forces under the old system of the pension act. So when a pension act Veteran gets his 2.4 increase it’s a real increase of 2.4%.  But in my case I get the 2.4% increase and I am taxed on that amount, so in reality it’s not the same.

Let’s say pension A veteran has a pension worth currently $100,000 per year. He gets 2.4% = $2,400
Let’s say Veteran B that’s on new payment method from VAC is at $100,000 to, but part of his payment method is taxed.  So that $2,400 in reality is very different the the pension A veteran.

The gap over a life time is a large amount of money from Veteran A vrs Veteran B.  

VAC needs to address this in my opinion.  It’s system that is still unjust to new Veterans. IMO

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joe schmoe Fri 04 Mar 2022, 22:58

Steelgunner found this site showing how they calculated the 2.4 rate increase for 2022

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/pension-plan/retired-members/rate-pension.html

Cheers

joe schmoe
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-04-19

Back to top Go down

Cost of Living Increase 2022 Empty Cost of Living Increase 2022

Post by Steelgunner Fri 04 Feb 2022, 10:04

Good Day,

I believe we where given the standard 2.4 % cost of living at the start of January 2022.

The Dec cost of living is 4.8 % and increasing. The annual 2021 is 3.4 % for the year. So an increase of 2.4 at the start of 2022 makes no sense. The inflation is so bad world wide and in the USA Veterans Affairs in the fall of 2021 increase their Veterans cost of living increase to 5.9%.

Why are Canadian Veterans being treated differently when it comes to cost of living? It’s the start of February 2022 and the cost of gas, food are sky rocketing. The current Government has to do a better job in protecting and helping Veterans with physical and mental health problems. Paying out the wrong amount for cost of living is not helping Veterans.

Myself I have written a letter on My Account on Veterans Affairs Canada. I asked that my letter to be forward to the Veterans Affairs Minister. I encourage all of you to write a letter to the Minister.

Steelgunner

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down