Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members of the SISIP Class Action August 10, 2012

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Members of the SISIP Class Action August 10, 2012 Empty Re: Members of the SISIP Class Action August 10, 2012

Post by bigrex Sat 18 Aug 2012, 15:16

As far as I can tell, damages awarded are not taxable, unless if it was for lost income. So that being said, the initial amounts that we were seeking, which was the amount that had been reduced from out SISIP ltd and interest, will be taxable, and the amounts awarded as Special or General Damages, of which there were several types being sought, should be non taxable. This enforces my opinion that lawyers fees should not be paid from the damages awarded, since that will greatly reduce the monies that each veteran will receive.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Members of the SISIP Class Action August 10, 2012 Empty Re: Members of the SISIP Class Action August 10, 2012

Post by Guest Sat 18 Aug 2012, 09:47

Hello everyone I would like to weigh in on the Tax Neutrality issue. I recieved Retroactive payments from SISIP, and a Military medical pension. They went back over 10 years. I was offered by the CRA 2 options for handiling these payments. 1. Filed all income in the current year which put me in a far bigger tax bracket, with an added provincial Surtax. I would take a big hit in taxes this way. 2 Filed under the QRLSP legislation asking for all my previous returns be adjusted, adding the retroactive income to each years return. (Qualifying Retroactive Lump Sum Payments). the 3 previous years on the return appeared to have helped my tax situation, but as the the income got adjusted, on years further back, the CRAs Deemed Taxes, included a Notional tax similar to compounded INTEREST. These added taxes became so bad, that the further your returns was adjusted, I received a very small tax saving over the first case scenerio. I can only assume the Feds will say that the QRLSP legistation is in place, and is how we can deal with the tax issue. I However having been through this ,I dont see any Tax savings either way. I have another thought on the outcome of this case. Between the Tax liabilities, Possibly the Lawyers fees, and the Negotiations outcome, I see Very little monies ending up in Vets Hands. Hope I'm wrong. Chin up Lads and Lasses Take care. Fyi I.ve made SISIP Class action team aware of this same issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2012, 21:53

Told you...
SISIP is an insurance cie, manulife financial, com on, manipulating your life for financial benefits. If you want to get to the bottom of this, follow the money; they wiil drown you in paperwork before you know what happened.,
Get on my side and fight using their own strategy; use all possible media and tell them the thruth, let them be everwhelmed by paperwork, crush them and intimidate them just like they are doing to us. Need help, i'm on your side !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2012, 20:59

"6. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND that the Company may, in accordance with the Policy and this Agreement, adjust, reduce or
interrupt my monthly payments because of the amounts approved or awarded by the Relevant Sources.

https://public.cfpsa.com/en/AboutUs/SISIPFS/download/Documents/6E.pdf

So where is the upward ajustment when relevant sources have been deemed unlawful?

Sounds like a "heads I win, tails you lose scenario"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 20:01

Time is money; who makes money on delay? We sure aren't.
The more the argue the less time we get, interest on us or interest on money, do not be fooled, the gouv. does not have our interest in mind, if they did the case would have been settled years ago. The only thing in their mind is money and how not to pay us what they ow us, sure a nice speach will calm us while we wait, just like elevator music.
Take a stand and make sure that nobody abuses us again; my life is destroyed because i beleived them. Now, i beleive that media pressure is the way to go, they lied and abused each and everyone of us for years, wake up, the only one who woke up is Denis, like us he want's this thing to be settled as soon as possible; he did his part now it is up to us to pressure the gouv. into acting on what their promise to settle the case ASAP, let's make sure that things happen the way they promised us.
I know how the law and gouv. works, they are not to be trusted, money and power is their only thing they care about, now let's push them into making sure that they stand by their word. Media, internet, newspaper...whatever it takes to get what they ow us. I want my life back, they stole it from me; now i'm as agressive as it takes, i will not bow down in front of wrong, we are the truth, let's make sure they understand that...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 17:37

Is there not some law that states an insurance company must notify you if you have been denied further coverage under an ltd insurance plan. They must have to give you notice so you can appeal. If this was the case then how could sisip ltd just decide oh well so and so make too much money will just make them dormant . Because why should most of us have to wait for a monthly payment when we were senting in the yearly medical forms upholding our part and what legal right does sisip ltd have to decide this for us and not give us notice. This does not pass the smell test to me at all.
navrat out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 16:20

"Although there are potential statutory limitation periods"- from memo

When I read that line my mind jumped to when the government appealed the class certification, and forced a SCC ruling. To me it seemed like a time delay tactic, because unless your last name is Irving; a class action would be the only affordable way for low income citizens to get their day in court.
I'm not sure if the government would be that nefarious, but only time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 15:00

What i am most worried about is the mention of statutory time limits, that is a biggie, and i wonder why the government mentioned it. They might be refering to an amount of time that each vet can claim, but this would be highly discrimatory due to the fact that some have not collected sisip ltd for 20 plus years. Is there any time limits on VAC pensions or is it from date of decision, I remember i got some retro from VAC but i believe it was at least 7 years ago. We just have to patient and i feel we will not see any cash until the new year especially us zero sum clients because when you start looking at files from different departmnts its going to take time. My VAC caseworker told me that it could take until 1 april 2013 until ELB is corrected because that involues parliament and also new money has to be allocated which doesnt happen until the new budget. I also asked about the new VIP payment since my year expired 28 july and they said to keep sending in the blue cross forms until notifyed.
navrat out

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 12 Aug 2012, 12:19

Roadkingclaw that is where google will become your best friend. LOL It is my understanding it would be similar cases but as stated in the memo from McInness Cooper the Judge will decide on their pay so what he researches/knows would be way off of what one of us would research plus he has access to cases that the public would not so like the memo said the last thing to be done in the lawsuit is pay to the lawfirm.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 12:10

Other considerations are legal precedent (what has been paid in
previous cases), - Where can we get this info ?
Are you talking about vets. or about similar cases ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 12 Aug 2012, 11:55

Lou56782 good analogy as for Mr. Toope wanting access to our SISIP files the government and the legal team need to know who, how long and are they still disabled enough to still be on LTD.
Plus access to a client's VAC file has a time limit. So SISIP would not just hand the info over without an up to date request. That's my understanding as to why they need the courts permission to access the SISIP files.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 10:38

thanks mfors i appriciate that.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 10:22

propat regarding question if field pay is part of base pay it would not.. base pay is only pay according to your rank.. nothing extra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Aug 2012, 09:08

Negotiations
I think I understand the situation.
The Hon. Justice Barnes has not rule on any relief. Its for the parties to settle.
So let’s look at this logically:

Negotiation (Wikipedia) is a dialogue between parties (The Class Action Members and DND plus DOJ), intended;
• To reach an understanding;
• resolve points of differences or gain advantage in outcome of dialogue;
• to produce an agreement upon courses of action to bargain for collective advantage;
• to craft outcomes to satisfy various interests of two parties involved in negotiation process.
Negotiation is a process where each parties involved in negotiating tries to gain an advantage for themselves by the end of the process.

The difference here is:
• DND is negotiating to gain an advantage;
• The class action members are negotiating gain justice.
So the negotiation is intended to aim at compromise.

When a lawyers like Mr.Toope is appointed as an advocate for one party to the negotiate. His job is to attempts to obtain the most favourable outcomes possible for DND. And sorry... but he does not care about the class action members. All he cares about is his client.

Mr.Toope will attempt to determine the minimum outcomes that the class action members are willing to accept. He will then adjust their demands accordingly.

A "successful" negotiator is able to obtain all or most of the outcomes their party desires, but without break off the negotiations.

Although, it may seems that DND Mr.Toope have a certain advantage, well I am not shure about this.

In terms of advantages, the class action members also a excellent Lawyer who will certainly not compromised. And if the parties break off negotiations, the Hon. Justice Barnes will rule most likely in favour of the class action members.

So that’s the way I understand this – It will be a long process, Am I wrong ?

P.S. In terms of SISIP having access to our VAC file – Well, if I remember, we all signed a document giving SISIP access to our VAC file –That’s precisely “how they figured out our individual claw back amount” from our VAC pension. Why the question still raise here by Mr.Toope? Is he trying to gain an advantage by gaining time?... That's a good start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Aug 2012, 23:55

OK, now we get it; gouv. got profits on our back for decades, they also abused us for decades in the name of the queen, go to war, get injured, work too hard for no reason, and please get killed in the process for the queen.
What is this a bee hive ? The only right thing we did is to try to keep ourselves alive in a system that abused us for years and keeps going.
I cannot agree whit a system of abuse and distorsion, the gouv. abused all of us vets, and are still trying the same trick on us one more time.

I remember my close freinds dying for many stupid reasons the gouv. imposed us. It is time for us to stand up and face evil in the eye...
Some gave all and, all gave some, we are the defenders of thruth.
Dont let lies get in the way, we are the truth.
What we are, and what we became is the truth about what we did.

A joke i got years ago; when i enroled they told me that i would be traveling all over the world. but they never told me that i would be traveling the world on foot...
Same thing goes for the gouv.; they told me that i would be taken care of if anything goes wrong, but they never told me who would take care of me.

Denis you are somebody we all have respect, a real warrior,one who understood the right and wrongs and faught in the right way for all of us, for that i will stand by you in front of evil.
Do not let evil get in our way, we are the real thing, we are warriors of freedom, let the power in all of us be seen and understood by those who sent us by the name of their power. Let their be thruth, we are the power, they are not. They ow us everytinng, we are the power, we are the thruth, and we live as we are to let them remeimber what we did for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next