Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A prospective on the Tragic death of a veteran Greg Matters

Go down

A prospective on the Tragic death of a veteran Greg Matters Empty A prospective on the Tragic death of a veteran Greg Matters

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2012, 23:08

A prospective on the Tragic death of a veteran Greg Matters

As a Military veteran and RCMP veteran I was sick when I read this tragic story of fellow disabled veteran with PTSD being shot by the RCMP . I am a 24 year veteran of the RCMP and as a result of my two UN missions to the former Yugoslavia PTSD ended my career.
My heart goes out to the Mather's family and I want to think that something different could have been done to avoid Greg’s fatal shooting. I am writing this in order to present a perspective in regards to all the negative comments aimed at the RCMP as a whole painting 20,000 plus RCMP officers with the dysfunctional brush of incompetence.

In fairness to all involved in this tragedy I want to present an objective prospective that needs to be said until the truth of whatactually happened comes to light after the investigation is done by the BC Independent Investigations Office looking into this tragic incident.

All must remember no news agency was present as the long standoff took place. I have two news articles about the Mather’s shooting one Canadian Press story posted by the CBC and the other a Canadian Press story by the Globe and Mail in regards to Greg’s contact with the The Prince George Citizen News Paper.

The first thing that people need to realize is that newspapers exist to sell newspapers and need stories like this to make money. News papers make mistakes which was the case in the Canadian Press story posted by CBC which later stated the following;

Corrections and Clarifications
In an earlier version of this story The Canadian Press erroneously reported that Greg Matters's sister, Tracey, said he may have been suicidal. In fact, Tracey Matters did not say her brother may have been suicidal.
Sept 14, 2012|12:00 p.

Was Greg Matters prevented from talking to his doctor at the Vancouver OSI clinic by the RCMP? Greg’s sister made the comment in the CBC story that he was prevented from talking to his doctor. Was he? Did Greg reach out to the OSI clinic during the standoff? He stated that he would rather talk to his doctor at the OSI clinic other than the The Prince George Citizen news paper which was described as “conflicting”.

It makes no sense for the RCMP to prevent Greg Matters from reaching out to his doctor at the OSI clinic in Vancouver by cellular phone or land line if it would end the stand off with the RCMP peacefully. The priority is to deescalate situations like this.
Did the RCMP cut Gregs phone line or jamb his cell phone if he had one? Why? Did Greg have a cell phone and if he did , what prevented him from calling the OSI clinic in Vancouver? Did he?
Do people out there actually believe the RCMP cut Greg,s phone line or was jamming his cell phone and or shut down the cell tower in the area to isolate Greg? Why would the RCMP do this, so they could kill him? I personally do not think so.

Was Greg’s doctor at the OSI clinic available if Greg had in fact called? I know from personal experience that the RCMP did not go to Greg,s residents with the soul intention to kill a veteran. The news papers reported that a violent altercation had taken place between Greg and his brother resulting in a car chase, car crash and a fight. What was the conflict between Greg and his brother that resulted in this violent altercation? There is more to this that we all out here do not know about and of course the news papers. Are their facts strait? Did Greg’s sister get all the facts before making the statement that her brother was not allowed to call his doctor at the OSI clinic in Vancouver?
The responsibility of all Police services is to deescalate violent situations and to prevent situations from getting violent and out of control so that no one gets hurt either the suspect or the police officer(s) involved.

Being a trained Volunteer of the OSISS program here in Kingston and a long time advocate for the Harper Government to fund the Occupational Stress Injury Social Support program for the RCMP that desperately needs OSISS I would personally like to know if the RCMP officers at the scene knew what they were dealing with? Did they know Greg was a Canadian military veteran with PTSD? Did the Prince George Citizen news paper pass on to the RCMP when they received the emails from Greg Mathers during the stand off that he had been seeing a psychiatrist at the VAC OSI clinic in Vancouver ?

Since Greg had stated according to The Prince George Citizen in his emails that he was seeing a doctor at the OSI clinic in Vancouver and in knowing this it would be reasonable to assume that Greg was suffering from an Occupational Stress Injury  i.e. Post Traumatic Stress. Was this relayed to the RCMP? Did the RCMP officers in particularly the officer in charge know about dealing with a person with an Occupational Stress Injury like PTSD and the triggers an individual would react to with police at the door especially an RCMP tactical team. Did the officer in charge of the situation have the appropriate training in regards to dealing with persons with OSI’s like PTSD?

The Harper Governments reluctance to fund the OSISS program for the RCMP which also includes the important aspect of education about Occupational Stress Injuries like PTSD may well be a mitigating circumstance in the death of Greg Matters and if this is the case I would think the Harper Government has a measure of responsibility in Greg’s death.

The RCMP themselves in 2006 and recently in 2010 recommended the OSISS program in two detailed reports which has fallen on deaf ears. It really pisses me off to know that after a tragic incident like this that Minister of Defence Mackay’ reaction is to throw 11 million tax payers dollars (of course by the blessing of his boss Prime Minister Harper) in order to pay for more help for the Canadian Veterans suffering from PTSD and other OSI's. Would it not be a prudent move to throw a few million dollars that would be well spent for funding the OSISS program for the RCMP which would include education at all levels. Was the lack of education about OSI's a factor in all this?

I know the value of the OSISS program and have helped a good number of military veterans over the years but the Harper Government has forsaken the RCMP as far as the OSISS program goes but seems to have the tax payers money to throw at a problem after a tragedy like this one takes place. I really feel for Greg and his family and do wish things could have ended differently. The truth will come out and those that deserve to ride the lightening ride it.

As for now I know the officer who shot Greg Mathers has to now live with this for life and to what end? There is only pain all around when this happens. All I ask is that people out their reserve their judgment of the RCMP until the facts come out once the
investigation has come to a conclusion.

There are a lot of RCMP officers all over Canada some 20,000 plus who are doing their duty to protect Canadian society to the best of their abilities both here and on mission abroad. Of course there are some exceptions to the rule within all Canadian Police agencies even within the Canadian military. A fact of life All Canadians deserve due process and in this case the Mathers family as well as the RCMP.

Right now the RCMP's budget is being reduced by this Conservative Government and has resulted in the outsourcing for its membership who need help to an outside federal agency. All an RCMP officer has to do is call a 1800 number to get help. Well I can tell you that this approach will not work because what RCMP officer will trust a voice at the other end of phone line with their problem. If I were still on the job I would wonder is my name ending up on a list, how confidential is this and who is really on the other end of the phone line? OSISS works because its face to face and its a peer for example who has recovered to the point of being able to relate and help another peer who is struggling with the same problem.

Its called credibility and there is no credibility with a voice answering a 1800 number only suspicion which is why this will not work. The end result is complete isolation of RCMP officers struggling with PTSD and related issues like alcoholism, drug addiction, sexual addiction, gambling,  violence at home, being excessive with the use of force in dealing with suspects in the community and of course the ultimate final outcome, suicide. I have had a number of persons reach out to me about relatives and friends who were in the RCMP and committed suicide. Its been a problem for a very long time and sadly will continue.

Eric Rebiere (Former Cst. RCMP 37515 LSGC and Military Veteran)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/man-killed-in-rcmp-standoff-e-mailed-newspaper-before-his-death/article4541938/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/09/13/bc-man-shot-by-police-ptsd.html

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum