Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

students donot pay taxes when in school... if they get retro and claim it 2014 and being a student at same time is retro taxed??

3 posters

Go down

students donot pay taxes when in school... if they get retro and claim it 2014 and being a student at same time is retro taxed?? Empty Re: students donot pay taxes when in school... if they get retro and claim it 2014 and being a student at same time is retro taxed??

Post by sabrelove Thu 31 Jan 2013, 20:47

Yes, students do pay taxes, but normally do not make enough to tax. That is one of the benefits of RESPs, you contribute as a parent, and when the student draws it out, they are normally/usually in a lower tax bracket an pay little if no income tax once the deductions are applied.

So if they do receive retro and it is considered income, then they are taxed on it at their personal tax rate.

Hope this helps.

Sabrelove

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

students donot pay taxes when in school... if they get retro and claim it 2014 and being a student at same time is retro taxed?? Empty Re: students donot pay taxes when in school... if they get retro and claim it 2014 and being a student at same time is retro taxed??

Post by Newfie Thu 31 Jan 2013, 20:38

TYVM hard struggle but I made it, hubby said I can take care of him now....lol

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Thu 31 Jan 2013, 20:19

Last edited by Wife of a Veteran on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 20:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Thu 31 Jan 2013, 20:11

I just graduated from nursing in April but I paid taxed while in school

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 20:01

I believe students do pay taxes while in school mfors. At least our three did when in college in Ontario. There is some exemption benefits but they do pay taxes. Hope someone can confirm this for us.

Back to top Go down

students donot pay taxes when in school... if they get retro and claim it 2014 and being a student at same time is retro taxed?? Empty students donot pay taxes when in school... if they get retro and claim it 2014 and being a student at same time is retro taxed??

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 19:58

i am sure there are some students wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down