Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Permanent Impairment Allowance

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Permanent Impairment Allowance Empty Re: Permanent Impairment Allowance

Post by Guest Thu 28 Feb 2013, 07:11

puddle keep calling never give up.these people hate giving up these pention applications.may i sudjest finding vets in your local area and getting them to apply if they qualify.flood your CMs office with requests for the application and then when a bunch of complaints to as many peeps as possible by as many as possible about that CM over the same issue.the local leigion is normally useless but a good place to find peeps in your shoes that may join you in this fight.ya see i have found that getting the application is not so much a fight with DVA as it is with your CM.

never give up.

i think i started this in may and hounded the constantly and got more peeps as i went allong to do the same.
it took me till december just to get the application.interview in january with my new CM who is a verry wondefull person.
now i have two dicisions and waiting for a third.

the world can turn buds just never give up.

this is really peeing me off to no end now ive hered way to many stories of peeps not even being allowed to apply when the rules say they can.

JUST GIVE THESE VETS THE FRACKIN APPLICATIONS NOW!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by puddleduk2 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 06:50

all most forgot,

oldsailor, having lived north of the Comox Valley, the vac office in Victoria would be your closest office,

start again with calling the 1-866 number to ask for assistance, hopefully you will get someone that will point you in the right direction, in the last couple of months there are more and more of the call attendants that do not know what is available with VAC as a total, so if you dont sound like you know what you are seeking they will play dumb,

secondly, call OSSIS as their are peer support people in your area that can make the contacts within the Victoria VAC office to start you off as you are not currently case managed,

It is found they are trying to get as many of us off of case management to get rid of the case managers totally, and only rely on the phone system for help,

the local office here, which is more than 12 hours away, is closing next year, with no plan given for what is to happen to those vets currently (loosely) supported by that office.

puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by puddleduk2 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 06:41

I had trouble applying last year,

first my cm wouldnt send any paperwork, saying it didnt apply to me being on the PA,

second that because I was only at 92% it didnt apply to me,

thirdly that they wouldnt support any submissions, and their word is the law (ya know),

I submitted the first part of the application with help from family, it was faxed, and mailed, the faxed portion was logged in, the mailed portion was lost after it was logged in,

the due to interference from the cm, it would have to be started all over again, but with more interference implied from the cm in any attempt(s) to apply for the pia and sup.

I have given up on this, after going thru the OVO, and my MP's office, as the OVO has no power the influence the VAC cm, or their office, and the MP has not done anything in the last six weeks, it is still sitting on there desk waiting to be addressed at all.

I am awaiting further pensionable conditions that may push me over the 100% mark, and qualify for the EIA, but not holding my breath for any proper or fair VRAB decision.
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 27 Feb 2013, 23:21

It used to be that you had to have been given an award under the NVC, but as of last year, it was expanded to include those under the PA, because with the NVC, since all claims after 2006 do not add to the overall level of disability under the PA, many will not have the chance to ever get to a 100% PA pension and qualify for the EIA. They treat them completely separate, but joined at the same time. You can have a Vet who is assessed at 65% under the PA, and 65% under the NVC, but since the disability awards stop once you reach the magical 100% mark combined, he/she would have 30% of assessed disability and not be compensated for it.

As for the rules, because things have been changing, almost yearly since 2006, not all CM's are aware of what is available under both legislation, or motivated to learn, especially for those Veterans who are covered by both. A perfect example is the Attendance Allowance. If you have a PA pension, you may qualify, but since the NVC doesn't have any equivalent program, fewer CM's are even thinking about approving it for their clients, even though it is still available.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 22:22

oldsailor............Right from my decision letter. (I'm under old system)

A Permanent Impairment Allowance can be awarded to veterans Who:

have one or more physical or mental health problems that are creating a permanent and severe impairment; and

the permanent and severe impairment must be related to a health problem(s) for which a disability award(s) was granted under the CFMVRCA,or a disability pension(s) under the Pension Act and for which an application for rehabilitation was approved.

So as long as you meet both the above paragraphs you can apply
(rehab forms are the first step) and here is the PIA policy link

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/department/policy/document/1092

cheers

[url][/url]
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 21:50

ya see thats the bs im talkin about.old sailor it doesnt matter if you are on the old ore new system you are allowed to apply.refer them to their own website and tell them to send you all the applications ASAP.elb,pia and supplement.dont stop calling anyone and everyone untill you get thoes applications in your hand.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsailor Wed 27 Feb 2013, 21:25

I contacted VA and was told that we don't have a CM in our area. Was also told that it doesn't apply to me because I was forced retired in 98 and the new VAC came into effect after that. We live in the Comox Valley were there is an air base so, don't know why we can't have a CM in our area.

oldsailor
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 20:57

got elb a short time ago 3 weeks after seeing CM.just got PIA about 3 weeks after ELB.waiting on supplement decission im guessing another 2-3 weeks.guys the hardest thing to do for me was to get the frackin application.my old CM would not allow it.your not allowed,your not allowed,your not allowed,months of lies and bs.i got a lot of guys in my are to apply some who didnt know about it.yup we all had the same CM.now a lot of us were calling and getting the same result calling getting random CMs telling us ''sure you can apply and we will send you the applications right away'' just to get a call from our CM saying its not gonna happen.then lots of complaints to everyone we could think of.now we all have a new CM who sent me an application done a iterview with me and i have 2 of the three dicisions in.all the rest have their applications and a couple have had their interviews.our new CM rocks.

take from this what you will and maybe im wrong but i will tell you what i got from all of this.

1.i think at least in my case the hardest thing to do is get the application.

2.never frackin quit.

3.it all comes down to your CM so if your the phisicly angry type like me double up on the meds before the interview and be verry polite.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 20:24

I have just gone over this with and it is hard to get not saying that I should get it just saying it is hard to get and I am glad to see members getting it. I no trying to wine just trying to get an idea of who gets it to see if my CM is not telling me everything because like you say when TPI it should be more straight forward maybe a couple of lower levels for members are TPI. But anyway thanks for the info wills ridge and others..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Feb 2013, 16:42

oiler, I reviewed the requirements for PIA with my CM. I received a letter from VA stating I am now TPI so i thought it would be an easy application for PIA. It is not. The requirement for PIA (even if you are TPI) is very stringent. It makes no frigging sense to me because the PIA is an allowance to compensate for lost opportunities and earnings, which applies to me since I am TPI, however, I doubt if I will get the PIA and supplement. The cut and paste Sparrow did is accurate, however, you need to contact your CM at VA to read the actual requirements as they directly relate to PIA as they are a lot more detailed than the summary given on the website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2013, 19:38

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2013, 10:02

Oiler, this is what I found on Gov site: Hope it helps clarify for you Oiler. Let me know if you need any further. Take care, Sparrow

4.5.2 The Exceptional Incapacity Allowance and the Permanent Incapacity Allowance

Introduced into the Pension Act in 1971, Exceptional Incapacity Allowance (EIA) was intended to recognize and compensate for the broad range of non-economic impacts from a client’s disability related condition(s) by providing monthly compensation to pensioners who suffer extraordinary physical, social and psychological impairments and who, because of the nature of their disabilities are exceptionally incapacitated.

Although the NVC carried over some pension program allowances such as the clothing allowance, the EIA was not carried over. Instead, the NVC introduced the Permanent Incapacity Allowance (PIA) whose purpose is to recognize and compensate for the lost opportunity or economic disadvantage that permanent severe impairment resulting from service can cause.

The PIA is delivered under the Financial Benefits Program and is available to clients who are participating in the Rehabilitation Program for reasons related to a condition for which they have received a disability award. The two programs differ in their intent; while the EIA is a non-economic benefit, the PIA is an economic benefit. However, the eligibility requirements of the two benefits are very similar. EIA applicants must have pension assessments totaling 98%. The pensioner must also have an exceptional incapacity resulting from that disability. Exceptional incapacity is indicated by helplessness, continuing pain and discomfort, loss of enjoyment of life, and shortening of life span. Similarly, PIA applicants must have a permanent and severe impairment. They must also have been accepted into the Rehabilitation Program as well as received an award under the disability award program. Conditions that are considered to be a permanent severe impairment that impacts on employability and career progression include a permanent requirement for assistance and/or supervision, certain amputations, total loss of vision, hearing and/or speech, and severe and permanent psychiatric conditions.

Approximately 11% (6,747) of disability benefit recipients since 2006 are in receipt of both disability awards and disability pensions. Though they may have an exceptional incapacity as defined by the EIA or a permanent and severe impairment under the PIA, such dual clients are unlikely to ever qualify for either benefit. The EIA requires pension assessments to total at least 98% and does not take into account assessed disabilities under the disability award. The PIA requires the applicant to have a rehabilitation need related to his or her awarded condition; if the rehabilitation need is instead related to the pensioned condition, then the client is not eligible for the PIA.

From April 1, 2006 to December 31, 2009, 203 dual clients had a combined disability assessment of 98% or above. None were in receipt of EIA or PIA benefits. These severely disabled clients may be excluded from the PIA and EIA because the requirements of each program do not take into account the existence of the other program. Clients must be released from the military in order to qualify for PIA. However, only three clients are were assessed at the 100% class and are still serving. In addition to the potential gap for severely disabled dual clients, it appears that the PIA is not as easily accessed by severely disabled Veterans whose disabilities fall entirely under the NVC, compared to the accessibility of the EIA for pensioners. In January 2009, the Special Needs Advisory Group (SNAG) reported that the stringent PIA eligibility criterion was preventing PIA from being awarded to severely disabled Veterans.

There is evidence to support this contention. Under the Rehabilitation Program, VAC has created the category Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI) clients, defined as Veterans “incapacitated by a permanent physical and/or mental health problem that prevents them from performing any occupation that would be considered suitable gainful employment.” From April 2006 to October 2009, 269 clients had been deemed to be TPI, but only three clients (0.02% of disability award recipients) had been awarded the PIA as of March 2009. In comparison, between April 2006 and March 2009, 3,779 pensioners (1.2% of disability pension recipients) were awarded the EIA. Statistics as of February 2010 show that only 15 eligible CF clients have applied for PIA. Of these cases, nine have had favourable decisions (60%). On the other hand, 43 CF client applications have been received for EIA and 39 or 90% of these have been favourable.

Conclusion

Both the disability pensions and the NVC have programs and benefits designed for severely disabled clients. Under the Pension Act, pre-NVC, clients may be eligible for attendance allowance and additional disability pension for the Veteran’s spouse and dependent children. Except for cases of service-related death, the allowance and additional pensions amount to significantly more financial benefits being paid to average pensioners than to NVC clients. Furthermore, differing intents and implementation of the EIA (pre-NVC) and the PIA (NVC) appear to further this imbalance. The eligibility requirements for EIA and PIA are both based on the client’s disabilities being entirely assessed under either the Pension Act or the NVC. It can be concluded that severely disabled dual clients do not receive the same compensation and benefits as severely disabled clients who are covered entirely under the Pension Act or NVC. Moreover, due to different eligibility criteria, it appears as though severely disabled NVC clients cannot always access PIA benefits even if they are deemed “totally and permanently incapacitated”.

R3 It is recommended that the Director General, Policy and Research Division and Director General, Program Management Division review the benefits and/or allowances available to severely disabled clients under the New Veterans Charter, and where necessary, seek authority to ensure the needs of these clients are adequately met. (Critical)

[b]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Feb 2013, 22:23

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Feb 2013, 21:48

oiler wrote:Just wondering I am being TPI with VAC ... Due to back injury has anyone received the PIA and supplement with a injuried back .. They say I am unable to work and so on ... Just tiny to see my CM will be sending me the apps for this but the way the conditions are worded I would have to be parilized or something ... Just not sure can someone help because I know I am unsure ....
Thanks

oiler, you can always apply for the PIA or even EIA and see what decision DVA makes. Your case manager should assist you with completing the application. I will do some reading on line and get back to you. Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Feb 2013, 20:32

Just wondering I am being TPI with VAC ... Due to back injury has anyone received the PIA and supplement with a injuried back .. They say I am unable to work and so on ... Just tiny to see my CM will be sending me the apps for this but the way the conditions are worded I would have to be parilized or something ... Just not sure can someone help because I know I am unsure ....
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next