Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA)

+3
Rifleman
bigrex
Dove96
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) Empty Re: Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA)

Post by Teentitan Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:30

As well as any consequential claims related to the PA injury too.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) Empty Re: Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA)

Post by bigrex Wed 02 Jul 2014, 20:50

Sapper, if you have been a PA pension for a particular injury, and have been getting a 5% pension for it for 20 years, you can still go have a reassessment done on that disability. If they currently rate it at 30%, VAC will start paying your PA pension at the 30% rate. All pre 2006 disability pensions are grand-fathered under the PA until your death. It's only new conditions that are given a lump sum award.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Wed 02 Jul 2014, 18:52

Interesting indeed...I bet it's too late to re-open the PA award I have, with the NVC stuffed down our collective throats. This warrants further inquery. Thanks for the 411
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 02 Jul 2014, 13:46

Sapper Zodiac wrote
My military injuries through VAC are at about 74%, but I was injured in an accident after release and had the rest of my body destroyed. Back, only good arm, abdomen, etc. Your input is much appreciated gang.
Well here's a little nugget some of you may not be aware of, and I did benefit from it. Once upon a time...  elephant   I had a stabilized PA % for a few years. Then I had an accident on civie street and it directly impacted my said pensionable condition. Guess what? After I filled in more VAC paperwork my PA % increased.

This is why.  If I didn't have a compromising PA condition to begin with and was healthy my civie street accident would have had a much better outcome. It never sat right with me  scratch  but in a warped way it makes sense. Ever heard about that Teen? Maybe they changed the rules  elephant  talking here. pinger.

Last edited by pinger on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 13:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my elephant needed room)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 01 Jul 2014, 22:53

Yes, attendance allowance can still be granted to anyone getting a PA pension. It is tax free, and can be approved by your CM. No waiting for approval from some unnamed bureaucrat in PEI. It is also does not affect whether or not you can get the PIA and supp, nor does it reduce your ELB benefit. the problem is having a CM, that not only knows that the AA can still be granted, but one that is willing to sign off on it.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Tue 01 Jul 2014, 20:32

Good news to those of you getting PIA. I was asking about the PIA many years ago, and was told that I receive "attendance allowance" instead. I never pursued it further, thinking I was not allowed to get this PIA or Sup. Anyone in the same boat here? My military injuries through VAC are at about 74%, but I was injured in an accident after release and had the rest of my body destroyed. Back, only good arm, abdomen, etc. Your input is much appreciated gang.
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 20:13

Whether you felt you deserved it or not is far from the obvious, you did earn it and you should be proud as hell of your service because I am, 29 years and your feeling guilty about PIA hell you deserve more Dove and while I am at it, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE and heres a huge slap on the back, get-r-doneeeeeeeee

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 19:04

I am going to chime in here.
I started getting PIA this year. It was hard for me to accept. I felt I did not earn it. It was my father and husband that pointed out that I put my best effort into my career in the service for 29 years and it is compensation for the damage it caused. My life has changed, my pain and inability to work is real and I deserve these payments if they are giving it to me.

Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 19 Jun 2014, 18:13

Rigger, agree the NVC or not, it is here to stay, so why not take advantage of the available benefits that you are entitled to. The PIA and PIA supp, once applied for, will benefit you far more in the end, than the EIA ever will, possibly to the tune of several hundred dollars extra in your pocket per month. Nobody is going to think any less of you if you accept benefits provided by the NVC, just because you also get a PA pension.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rigger/fitter Thu 19 Jun 2014, 16:00

i want them to cancell the pia and give me eia instead

rigger/fitter
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 15:34

I get the eia but was told can't get pia , not allowed

Back to top Go down

Post by rigger/fitter Thu 19 Jun 2014, 15:29

Bigrex, i do not receive the pia supp(never applied),i do receive the attendance allowance(#2),just got that last month.so all my vac pensioned conditions are under the old sys,except the pia #3 i get from the nvc. so i am trying to get the eia ,as i want little as possible to do with the nvc

rigger/fitter
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 19 Jun 2014, 13:10

Rigger, are you getting the PIA supp as well? Because if you get PIA and PIA supp, the combined minimum monthly amount is $1630/month, while the maximum EIA is only $1385. Yes the EIA is tax free, but if you deduct 15% for taxes from minimum $1630, it comes out to the exact same amount as the max EIA, $1385. So the way I see it, it would be better financially for you to request an increase to your PIA along with the PIA supp, because chances are, you will not be given the maximum EIA.

And while one of the recent recommendations was to extend PIA supp to those getting EIA, at this point, it is merely a non binding recommendation.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) Empty pia removal,and apply for eia

Post by rigger/fitter Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:24

3b release 08,on old system ,i receive pia when i was at 75%,then i was successful in getting approved to over 100 percent last winter(again on old sys),now i want vac to drop the pia and start me on eia.they already denied my first request,and i am going to appeal. any thoughts or idea's

rigger/fitter
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 20 Mar 2014, 19:23

Hey Dove,

Good to hear you made out with that!  cheers . Your January timeframe also guides me as I put in for the same thing a short time ago.
But like you, I don't expect nothing... anything else is gravy. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next