Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 24 of 67 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 45 ... 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 24 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by Guest Wed 25 Sep 2013, 00:27

I know RR, my Sarcasm Detector was working. lol I too was being a little sarcastic, in that we were forced into something we probably would've voted against if we were asked. We had no fairness at all, no real voice in anything...only the one person. The only person who benefitted the most out of all class members. I'd still like to go to a parliamentary debate and fart out a tune or two when the conservative speak...what the hell, it'll be worth a lump or two from the rcmp, and while they're doing the Rodney king on me, I'll be telling them, "dude, they're doing the exact same thing to you and your former members"...I may throw in a few piggy snout comments if they get too rough though...so who's in? lol

I think at the very least, DM should pay all the taxes and legal fees! lol Really though, it would have been a courtesy to at least allow us to get the retro tax-free, since no damages were sought...even though MC said they would seek them. They're getting paid either way, so it's no skin of their noses...wait until the next war MC, see who's ass you'll be trying to pucker up to then...good luck douches. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 23:27

And each and every member would be separate when it came to adjusting each member for amounts for damages...legal nightmare!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 23:24

As for damages, it would be a huge surprise to see anyone get damages. It just does not happen in cases like this one. That aside PTSD candidates are the only ones that could go for damages based on the mental stress induced by SISIP/MANULIFE/GOC. Special, punitive damages are a bitch to prove legit and actually place a price on for loss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 21:58

Hey Zero you know me by now that comment was total sarcasm lol my yin and yang

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 17:18

Hey, they had to be paid right? They knew that they GoC wouldn't pay their fees, so we got screwed again...as per usual. The only class member who was asked about that was probably DM, and MC probably paid his fees for him...since he was only getting back 10k anyway. The rest of us were volunteered without being asked to foot the bill...take it or leave it, remember? We could always "OPT OUT" if we didn't agree! Talk about putting a gun to our heads, all because someone was looking for the quick pay-out. Some of us can't suck up anymore RR, we've been forced to keep doing that for a very long time...and I for one cannot do that anymore...fight or die is what I'm left with...I'm not about to get pushed around by governmental bullies anymore who know of my psychological issues and play upon them to keep me down. Like I've said before...we all have our unique reasons for being injured, and the aftermath of it...no two stories are the same. What's the worst that happened to DM, missing $100 from his SISIP each month....while some of us lost it all, and then some...and because of what we deal with daily are unable to be a spokesperson, or repeat what the lawyers coach us to say. Perhaps if they had have chosen a veteran with a real phucking story to tell to be in front for the cause, our deal would have been for the betterment of all veterans not just for himself? The more shit happens to us, the more it affects our PTSD and adds to it...they know it and are pushing every button. Anyone up for going to the parliament and heckling from the gallery? They can't have the rcmp beat the shit out of all of us, after all, they're getting screwed just as much as we are...and with cell phone cameras, man, you-tube would be airing some pretty good footage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 16:34

like I said since I have time on my hands waiting I just tossed out a theory and i have to admit I know that 8% is the fee so yeah it sucks but that is what this is all about, the ability to suck it up and move on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 16:26

The Legal fees that we are paying for, is to cover the cost of winning our Law suit. I really think that finding the right percentage amount that we must pay, is very difficult, as all will not be satisfied with the amount. The Judge ruled it at 8%, some were good with that amount, others not. How did this come about, why did the GOC not cover this cost. The answer is simple, that would mean they would admit guilt, and furthermore pushing, and or fighting them to pay it, would be considered damages, this type of action would have resulted in the delay of our retro, if not the elimination of it all together. Some may have passed away by the time it would have been settled. I would rather pay the 8%, and receive my retro in 2013, than to have it prolonged for god knows how long. Having said that, would I have like to see the GOC step in and pay my fees, obviously yes, but that was not the way it played out, so who do I blame for this, I blame the GOC, the PM runs a tight office, nothing is done without his approval, before they decide to put our forces in harms way, they should take a good look at their policy's with respect to Veterans, saying statements like we don't owe them anything, well if they don't owe us anything, don't send us in harms way. I think that this government will continue to fight us, with everything they got, but the fight is starting to be challenged, sisip victory was a good win, NVC has been given a go before the courts, so I guess we are standing our ground sort of speak, going forward I think that we must continue to fight, and give gratitude for those individuals that are helping us in our fight, even though we sometimes don't always agree, on the way the help is provide, sometimes we will have no choice but to pay for our services. Come next election, I believe that we as Veterans have to be vigilant in finding out what party will be best suited to support us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 15:21

Sometimes I wonder why this fiasco has been intentionally dragged out for so long...why the government and MC colluded to make us foot the bill and not receive damages. Why we're always kept in the dark, almost pleading to get the pittance they're allowing us to have, only to give it back in the next tax year...it makes me believe that the GoC has something bigger for us in store, like eliminating the Pension Act...while we're all still a little giddy about the few crumbs they've tossed our way, and exhausted emotionally from the wait. What a better time that to kick someone while they're already down, and keep taking. We can take back what's ours, we just need to keep the light on our plight, (nice rhyme)...keep the media asking the direct questions, keep forcing the GoC to be honest about screwing us over while they hand out money to the Russians, (who still have their missiles pointed at us), and the Syrians, (who hate us and our way of life with every breath...except now when they're crying for handouts). It's like out own government treats us like the enemy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:38

so there is now 3 of us in the same boat. Were taking on water......lol
newfiegirl

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:21

Got me on that ocean I am in the same BOAT no pun intended

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:16

I question. Tax on a no taxed benefit originally from DVA or am I wrong. I thought I was taxed once on it when sisip took it the first time. I have lost track I'm sure..

Back to top Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 24 Empty SISIP Vs LAYWER FEES who is getting screwed

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:03

Without a work rendered sheet from McInnes Cooper I unfortunately have to develop my own conspiracy theory on what I am to pay out in lawyer fees. As I see it I became part of the Class Action process due to my 2003 3(B) medical release from the CF and being a policy member of 901102 SISIP Life Insurance Policy. Yes I like many others jumped on board expecting some form of financial retribution. As it has come into fruition (almost October 2013) I will receive my retro payment but what are my fees actually paying for.
1. Am I paying for the pro-bono portion of the suit that would include the time period from Manuge inking McInnes Cooper to the last cheque sent out.
A.) If so did McInnes Cooper include these fees in their argument to Justice Barnes claiming over 8,000'plus hours dedicated to this class action suit. If so do you not believe this would be misleading the courts and why the hell would I pay for a free service?
2. Am I paying from the moment in time that I became a class action member in 2007 which would entail almost 5 years, or
3. Am I paying from the time that the class action was reinstated to commence as a class action in February of 2010. If this is the case then why was I not notified in writing that I would be required to have all lawyer fees paid for from the initial documentation up to and including the last members retro cheque being paid out. Two years is a far cry from the seven (7) years that McIness Cooper and Manuge brag about.

Summary, I find it honestly hard to accept these fees based on a court order that may have been directly influenced with false information and figures based on services rendered to our lead plaintiff prior to this class action being a suit period. I also find it very difficult to accept the terminology " class member" while the suit was in limbo awaiting certification to become a class action suit, seriously did we not go through this as members of a policy that played on phrases and words that stole our LTD benefits. I only ask that you watch which arm Robin used to draw his bow instead of watching where it hits.
I wonder who will be smiling when SISIP asks for the cost worksheet from McInnes Cooper.

Some days I am glad I landed on my head way to many times, pain drives you to succeed and conquer all lives little miseries.
AIRBORNE

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:14

Be good if this post is still available for tax time next year
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 12:05

Just looking over the tax guide. Can anyone confirm that this is where we would apply the legal fee deductions in 2014

Line 229 - Other employment expenses
You can deduct certain expenses (including any GST/HST) you paid to earn employment income if the following two conditions apply:

•Your employment contract required you to pay them.
•You did not receive an allowance for the expenses or the allowance you received is reported as income.

Note
Most employees cannot claim employment expenses. You cannot deduct the cost of travel to and from work or other expenses, such as clothing.
Repayment of salary or wages - You can deduct salary or wages you reported as income for 2012 or a previous year, if you repaid them in 2012. This includes amounts you repaid for a period when you were entitled to receive wage-loss replacement benefits or workers' compensation benefits. However, you cannot deduct more than the income you received when you did not perform the duties of your employment.

Legal fees - You can deduct legal fees you paid to collect or establish a right to salary or wages. It is not necessary for you to be successful; however, the amount sought must be for salary or wages owed. You must reduce your claim by any amount awarded to you in respect of those fees or any reimbursement you received for your legal expenses.

Under proposed changes, you can deduct legal fees you paid to collect or establish a right to collect other amounts that must be reported in employment income even if they are not directly paid by your employer.

pteadams2002
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 May 2013, 22:12

Thanks Sapper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 67 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 45 ... 67  Next