Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 33 of 67 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 33 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 14:11

Amen

Last edited by IonlyWish on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 15:44; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Sat 16 Feb 2013, 13:57

Good luck on the "Deemed Tax" issue Pat. I know some of us will be paying through the hoop, for our long retros. Mine goes back to 1990 or 91 so I guess I will get dinged big time?. But for the people like me who have long retros...who has had any taxable income to create deemed taxes? I know that I have only made about $25000 taxable income since being injured in the military. Not much to tax here.
Chimo
Zodiak

Last edited by Sapper Zodiak on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 14:13; edited 1 time in total

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Sat 16 Feb 2013, 13:56

Remember we never went to trial. That is where the Law Firm would of had to spend lots of money.
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 13:36

Tiger, in total neutrality, I just want you to know that in a Court process, representing not just the GOC, the Crown is a friend of the Courts!
As a friend of the Court they were asked by Judge Barnes to give submissions on the fees to give to the Judge a different light on the fees subject.
When asked by Judge Barnes what their client would consider how much the fees should, they said that the GOC didn't want to take a stand on this.
They just showed their approch to how fees were for the cases that McInnes Cooper brought forward and doing this, it was obvious that numbers can have different meaning if you really worked on them.
The Justice Canada lawyers gave a different light here, we as vets who have been walked over in the past feel we owe alot to the firm, this is why they had almost no objections on the fees, but we all got to have our feet on the ground and 15 percent of back pay is out of this world for the work done, and work and result goes in pair, so the Judge will balance things and wathever, we won.
My next battle will be the deamed tax issue, I will work on this now,
Pat.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger660 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 13:19

This is my point of view on the legal fees. Of course the GOC lawyers will be on our side for this, they have lost the case. If the GOC had been fair to start with, this would not have had to go the court. I find it interesting that they (the GOC) had this information on legal fees for weeks and they did not say a word. All of the sudden two days before the hearing in Halifax the GOC lawyers, the Minister of National Defence and every swining di... in Ottawa say that the legal fees from MC are too high???? Don't you think that the GOC is just trying to save face here? I personaly believe that this is a political move from the GOC to show the Canadian people that GOC is behind their veterans 100%. I also believe that the GOC really don't give a damn about the fees, regardless of what the fees are, we will pay for them. Whatever is decided by Judge Barnes will be fine by me.

tiger660
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:44

thanks recon, the furm said we had a good deal because the say they went from 30% to 16%. I reality tht is not how it is calculated. Icases such as our fees go fom 3 to 5%. he 7.5 thing was fog and mirors and the judge old them. Our lawyer won the battle for us but we would have lost the war! DEnis is a very good man and I did appriciate meeting im face to face. Judge willmake his dicission and have it translated, Could take up to tree weeks for in. One good thing to pint out is that our layers have already stayted that they will accept the persentige dicidedby the judge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:39

peep the poll will not allow you to do a two part so i did one on leagal fees.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:22

Maybe we should have a two part poll new poll.
1) do you except the deal
2) do you reject the deal

3) do you except the fee's
4) do you disagree with the fees
5) do you strongly disagree with the fees
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:19

Recon, this is what I can't understand, why throw out 7.5 then say in the court papers it's 17.5 . The law firm wanted the media to see 7.5 but the real number was always 17.5 . Not too cool, even thou I want this done and fast I believe they just should have thru the real number out there. That being said 5 percent is fair and I hope the judge sees the also!

Back to top Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 33 Empty TIME TO COME CLEAN ON THE LEGAL FEES SAYS SOME OF THE VETS WHO WERE THERE IN HALIFAX & NOW SEE THE REAL DEAL FROM " McInnis Cooper " to add MC said they will Accept Justice Barnes Decision ......?

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:04

I've been reading  a lot of the posts here this morning & a lot of you are now starting to come clean about the Legal Fee Bill  from  McInnis / Cooper , to include as Steve ( RobbieRoyal )  has also stated in his Headlining Posts & mighty Impressive i might add Steve , your intelligence is well beyond your years .

From a friend here on CSATand i Quote ::::::::

Dave , the fees will have to change MC was asking too much , on the 2nd day GOC lawyers Defended the CLASS eXPLAINING A WHOLE SHITLOAD OF INFO DEMONSTRATING that MC had pushed the bill to be at least 3 times. I agree the final word will be somewhere in the 3 - 7 % range at most.

I have never seen Crown Procecuters take our Defence in any case against them ....Wow .I was with other vets for most of the time & we all agreed on the matter .

If fees go down to about 5 % it would be fair & equivalantto other cases of the same importance.

MCtried to make the 30 % reduced to 17.83 % look like a good deal & did confuse everybody even the Judge for a moment .

The trip was worth it in sense that i now understand that we won , BUT , WE ARE STILL GETTING SCREWED BY OUR OWN LAWFIRM ,  in general they are asking over $ 13,400.00 an hour & our lawyers refused to give the Crown lawyers detailed info on the time worked so they couldcompletely evaluate their work & hours ,  BUT ,  McInnis / Cooper  refused .

Dave , if it had not been for the Crown Lawyers we the Class would have been screwed .

Thank - you for the letter my friend ,

For Country
RetiredArmy Master Sniper
Dave Fitzpatrick

Last edited by Recon031 on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:48; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:40

Well put

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:38

I stated long ago that the Judge will only say yes or no, then deal with the legal fees period, I got my ass chewed out, but hey that is ok I am a firm believer that on the floor of HoC they actually believe the lawyer fees are a grossly inflated and the GOC will argue the legal fees. ironic how Robin Hood (GOC) stole from us and now wants to steel back from the sheriff John (MC) to pad our pockets and still get more cash from us, I am spinning here lol, Go GOC, Go MC, oh yeah go vets

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:20

Go to chat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:19

i sure do agree with that bela kinda why im saying 7.5% plus about 2% plus dispersments like peter said.i wouldnt even try to estamate who ore how many would be droped.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:17

Navrat my boy fraking glad your back buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 67 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next