Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements)

Go down

Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements) Empty Temporary Categories

Post by Dove96 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 00:05

When put on 3(4?) temporary categories for the same injury or illness your file automatically is flagged to Ottawa for review. (that was the number when I was in).
This happens behind the scenes and it is a surprise when the paperwork shows up.
When I became a senior supervisor I ran into this 3 times. Unless you know the medical background of all your troops and keep track of all their temporary categories you don't know it's going to happen. We fought it each time, I even attended the doctor meetings (with permission). It is hard going and there were no happy endings. (did get SISIP and Case Advisor on-line for the member)
Nice Doctors who knew what was going on would sometimes "doctor" the category so they would not get flagged.

Last edited by Dove96 on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 18:51; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : answer to original post)
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements) Empty Re: Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements)

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013, 22:31

brayon

no one here can tell you what percentage of an award you may receive. That is determined by DVA based on all available evidence and information from your health care professional. Basically they must first determine the severity of the injury measured as a percentage and then it must be determined to what extent, measured in fifths, the injury is service related.

example 1

50/100 = .5 or 50% (severity of injury measured as a percentage)
3/5 = .6 or 60% (percentage of injury that is service related, or aggravated by service)
.5 X .6 = .3 or 30% award

example 2

30/100 = .3 or 30% (severity of injury measured as a percentage)
5/5 = 1 or 100% (percentage of injury that is service related)
.3 X 1 = .3 or 30% award

this link is to "Disability Awards" section of "Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation act. It explains in part how an award is determined, Hope you can get something from this.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-16.8/page-12.html#docCont

Michael

Back to top Go down

Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements) Empty Question regarding Mental Health pension

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013, 19:28

Hello, I need a bit of guidance to those who have the experience in benefits from Mental Health. I have been recently diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder None Otherwise Specified(subthreshold PTSD) onset my second tour. I just sent in my claim. I am currently going thru individual/group sessions. What percentage would I fall in as far mental health condition due to service. I thank you very much and open you to comments.

Le Brayon

Last edited by Brayon69 on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 19:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quality control)

Back to top Go down

Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements) Empty Re: Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements)

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013, 13:38

Oh, and just to clarify, I intend to pursue because I think there is a mistake somewhere. It it turns out "it is what it is", then so be it. If there is one thing I've learned from all of you since I began frequenting this site, is that if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

And to quote propat...always question authority Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013, 13:20

Thank you for your reply

I don't see any reason for her to deceive me, after all, the amount off income she receives has no bearing as far as I am concerned. The amount of child support I pay is based on what "I" make. She stands to gain nothing by keeping the receipt of a dva pension secret. She said that she did in fact apply for dva benefits, but was denied(not attributable to military service)

As I mentioned, I am not sure how to approach this at this point, however I intend to pursue it. The more income in my ex's pocket is more money for my kids.

Michael

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:57

Hi Micheal,

Would you wife have any reason to be dishonest with you?

Ask her to call VAC while you are listening in and see if there is a pension or a pay out? Since she was released in 2006 she would be under the old pension act and 1995 table old disabilities

Back to top Go down

Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements) Empty The Plot Thickens

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:49

Good morning.

Thank you for your input sparrow. My ex spouse is very proud and when I tried to extract info from her, her response was...it is what it is. I know it sounds suspicious, and I obviously don't know the whole story however, I seen the SISIP LTD deposit into her bank account. She showed me the entry on her statement. And I know for a fact that she is NOT receiving ccp d. She said that she has a dva case manager but she insists that she is not getting a dva pension of any sort. This whole thing came up just recently when I mentioned to her that I am now receiving ELB and I can give her more money for child support. It was then that she admitted to me that she is having financial difficulty and is in danger of losing the house. This concerns me obviously so I began asking questions. Problem is, after telling her that I believe something is not right, she became panicked that I will somehow open a can of worms and she will lose the SISIP LTD benefit. I don't know how to address this without raising some red flags within the system and jeopardizing her SISIP benefit.

I called her back and pressed for more info and what she told me pissed me right off. I was on 17 days embarkation leave prior to deploying to Kosovo on roto "0"(I had not divulged to anyone at this point that I was F**KED UP in the head...my wife knew) Just 2 days before I was to board the plane, I get a phone call from my supervisor telling me that my deployment was hereby cancelled. WTF? To this day I had not received a solid explanation why this happened beyond "services not required". Anyway a few short month's later, my wife was next up to deploy for 6 month's to the Golan or some place, can't remember, and felt the need to go to the padre because I was f****ed up, and she didn't trust me to care for our kids during her absence. As we all know, this resulted in her being dagged red. Apparently this little maneuver pissed off some individuals within her own unit. She said they made her life miserable. Stressed her right out and she sought relief through counselling and anti-depressants. I'm certain there are many of you who can relate to the stress placed on a family when the disability wreaks havoc. The meds and the council ling and the padre resulted in her being placed on a medical category, effectively solving any fears of deployment for a while(we ended up separating a few months later). This latest bit of news to her superiors was the last straw. They had her in the office tearing away the last bit of dignity she had left. She said they were literally screaming at her...accusing her of milking the system. etc. Well she believes that is where the really fun stuff started.

To make a long story shorter, "not de-ployable-not employable", "in violation of terms of service" and everything else they could throw at her. Her depression and anxiety was not attributable to military service so as far as veterans affairs is concerned, she qualified for "0", nothing, nada.

Still not sure how SISIP LTD plays into this, but as Sparrow mentioned, and most of you are aware, SISIP is very particular with their criteria wrt benefits beyond 24 months, with ccp(d) and dva benefits being the marker.

Does anyone think it could be possible that my ex is receiving SISIP LTD for a condition, I'm guessing anxiety and depression, but because it is not attributable to military service, she isn't getting any dva , which, because there was no offset, she gets the SISIP LTD?...has anyone ever heard of any similar situation?

Michael

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Apr 2013, 10:38

Nomad, I sent you a brief message ~ hope it helps and I am sure others will assist as well on csat

Back to top Go down

Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements) Empty Totally Confused???(Benefit Entitlements)

Post by Guest Sun 14 Apr 2013, 08:30

I was diagnosed with PTSD in 2000. I can't begin to tell you how messed up I was. Drugs, alcohol etc etc. Two years in SPHL, 2 tours at Homewood. Sadly, I drove my wife to the edge and she took our children and left me. During the fallout of these events, my wife, also a member of the military, began seeing a Councillor, as the tension and stress I put her through was taking it's toll on her. Her shrink(military), prescribed her a mild anti-depressant which she took for a number of years. As a result, she was placed on a "Temporary Category"...no posting, no promotion. Well a few years went by and although she continues to take the meds, the tempcat was lifted and eventually she was promoted. As it turns out, according to my ex, one day (5 years later) she received an e-mail informing her of her impending release, which she had no prior knowledge of. Apparently, the reason was because she was taking anti-depressants!? Anyway, after attempting to fight this injustice, she was medically released (3b) in 2006 and like pretty much everyone, she was given 2 years SISIP and offered vocational. Well, I just learned last week that she is still receiving SISIP LTD...5 years later, so obviously, for some reason, SISIP decided that she was entitled to benefits beyond the initial 24 month's. I find it very odd that she would be entitled to SISIP LTD benefits going forward and I'm not. However, my ex does not receive one dime from VAC. That too, seems odd to me. How can you be released medical 3b and not receive a disability benefit from VAC?. Not even 1 %!? Is this an error? I mean, from the story she told me, I find it suspicious that she would be released 3b with any prior knowledge. As far as I remember, if there is a problem, be it drugs, alcohol etc, she should have been given a verbal warning, and then a recorded warning and so on. This appears to be more F***ED UP than I am.

If there is someone out there who can enlighten me as to the legitimacy of this situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

Michael

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down