Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Research Is So Odd

3 posters

Go down

This Research Is So Odd Empty Re: This Research Is So Odd

Post by Jeffery M Fri 22 Aug 2014, 00:31

And Out I went. 56 days shy of 10 years. No pension of any. Period.

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 21 Aug 2014, 17:34

I remember doing the questionnaire, except I know it wasn't confidential, or being used to solely track numbers, because I was put in a room with 2 staff members at NDMC, and they asked me the questions. Have I been having trouble sleeping, having nightmares, anxiety, etc. I think that the push to identify someone who may be suffering is backfiring, as many, especially if having difficulties, are going to perceive that as DND looking for a reason to release them, and therefor lie about their mental health, until their problems start creating external issues, and can no longer be denied.

I picture it similar to a large conveyor belt at a factory (say at a apple pie factory), the trucks drop off a huge pile of Apples, and as they travel down the conveyor belt, there are several people just standing there, looking for the apples not good enough to make it into their pies. A small bruise, out it goes, a bit misshaped, out it goes. But for us, instead of an apple pie, the goal at the end of the conveyor line is the rest of our careers. So we hide the bruises, we mask our imperfections from those staring down at us, out of fear of not getting to the end of the conveyor belt.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Thu 21 Aug 2014, 15:51

Most of the boys suffer in silence. I myself let things get out of hand and was diagnosed more then 2 years after my deployment. I commend anyone who puts forward a brave face. But when that face breaks, it is magnified. Getting help in the earliest stage possible is the only way to magnify the best odds of a health you.

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

This Research Is So Odd Empty This Research Is So Odd

Post by Teentitan Thu 21 Aug 2014, 15:33

History of mental illness makes soldiers more prone to PTSD: study

Having a history of mental illness puts soldiers at a higher risk of post-traumatic stress disorder after a combat mission, new Canadian research suggests.

The study, published in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, was based on post-deployment interviews with more than 16,000 Canadian Forces members who served in Afghanistan between 2009 and 2012. It found that 10.2 per cent of those deployed to Afghanistan had at least one common mental health problem after returning, including depression and PTSD.

The researchers found a strong correlation between those who had previously been treated for mental health issues and post-deployment mental health problems, including PTSD. Studies of U.S. military personnel have found a similar link, but the Canadian report’s authors say it would be wrong to screen military personnel based on previous mental health treatment, because many people who had previously sought mental health treatment “were in good post-deployment mental health.

“Thus selecting people for deployment on this basis alone would result in the unnecessary exclusion of many people who would do well.”

The authors suggested that people seen as high risk might be offered interventions to prevent relapse before, during and after deployment.

“The strong correlation between current mental health care and post deployment mental health problems simply demonstrates that people in care are there for a good reason.”

The authors said additional research should be done to better understand why some military personnel with risk factors, including a history of mental health problems, did well after deployment to Afghanistan while others did not.

The Canadian findings differ from previous U.S. and UK studies in significant ways. Canadian reservists, according to the research, are at no greater risk of PTSD and other mental health problems than regular forces — a phenomenon identified in U.S. and UK research. The Canadian study also found longer or multiple deployments did not appear to be risk factors. Francophones were less likely than anglophones to suffer from PTSD and other post-deployment mental health problems, in contrast to civilian data that, according to the authors, suggests “if anything, worse mental health for francophones in Canada.” But, given that francophones in the military are largely concentrated at a limited number of bases, the authors suggest there may be other factors at play.

Exposure to combat had a strong correlation to later mental health problems.

The study comes at a time when researchers are better understanding the effects of combat on the mental health of Canadian military personnel, based on interviews with veterans of the war in Afghanistan.

Earlier this summer Statistics Canada said one in six full-time regular members of the Canadian Forces reported experiencing symptoms of mental illness or alcohol disorders in the 12 months prior to a major 2013 mental health survey. Symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder were reported by 5.3 per cent of regular forces members — up significantly from 2.7 per cent in 2002. The increase is attributed to the conflict in Afghanistan.

The findings in the Canadian Forces Mental Health Survey will be further studied to help officials better understand mental health in the military and how well the military’s mental health system is functioning. More in-depth findings are due to be released this fall.

The federal Department of National Defence failed to make any of the authors of the study titled ‘Prevalence and Correlates of Mental Health Problems in Canadian Forces Personnel Who Deployed in Support of the Mission in Afghanistan: Findings from Postdeployment Screenings, 2009-2012′ available for an on-the-record interview to talk about the paper that was published in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry earlier this year.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/history-of-mental-illness-makes-soldiers-more-prone-to-ptsd-study

What I find odd about this is that the report says 1600 of 16000 Afghan vets had a case of depression or PTSD in the previous 12 months of the questionnaire.

I have to call out the 1600 or 10% out as bullshyte!

If these are real numbers the DND would not put out the "get in touch of medical services" message from Gen Lawson. Or be on a massive hunt for social workers/psychologist/psychiatrists to help with 1600 people.

That would be considered a great deal and the DND would flush them out and release them.

Oh wait a minute that's why a huge number of soldiers who did the survey lied about their mental health for fear of being flushed out.

This study doesn't state if it was a totally blind study or not. I remember coming back from the Gulf War and a study showed up for me to do. I read all the pre-amble that comes with these studies and it said this is a totally confidential study and your answers will not be shared with the DND.

But when I saw a number on my study the validity of everything I read went out the window and I was extremely cautious when answering. So I am wondering if any of our current members or military soldiers who did this study could say whether it was totally confidential or did they feel they would compromise themselves and their job?

Remember here on the CSAT your name is only revealed if you state it. So make up an email address and a name join CSAT (only fill in what you want on registration) and answer my question. Or join answer then delete your account. CSAT does not keep the email address' of deleted accounts.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down