Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Status Update on OVO Priorities & ACVA Recommendations

+3
bigrex
Kramer
Teentitan
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Status Update on OVO Priorities & ACVA Recommendations - Page 2 Empty Re: Status Update on OVO Priorities & ACVA Recommendations

Post by johnny211 Wed 27 May 2015, 07:09

pinger, great point, just let it slide somedays. I hear you, I have been fighting them since 01, won most in the long run, lost a couple. I have learned one has to be very patient and be good with the pen when it comes to DVA. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Status Update on OVO Priorities & ACVA Recommendations - Page 2 Empty Re: Status Update on OVO Priorities & ACVA Recommendations

Post by Teentitan Wed 27 May 2015, 01:43

I'm just going with logic Rex. Why put the money in an RRSP to get a tax break that you are going to have to pay down the road when you can put your money in the TFSA get the interest, not pay taxes on it when you withdraw it and you can replace every cent you withdraw without a penalty or age limit?

I've stopped doing the spousal RRSP and just put it in our TFSA's. When it's time to convert the RRSP's to RIFF's and take withdraw ti's going straight into TFSA's.

I'm telling kids to open a TFSA even if it's fifty bucks because the year it's opened it starts to accumulate like a RRSP. I look at it as free money that's all.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 26 May 2015, 23:35

Teen, I understand what you are saying about the RRSPs, but most "average" Canadians are unable max those out, let alone max out RRSP's and a TFSA. Last year I read somewhere that only around 20% of those with TFSA were able to max it out, IIRC. So if most people cannot max it out at $5K, how does doubling that amount help anyone, except for those wealthier or frugal 20% of Canadians?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 26 May 2015, 22:24

Teen ...
You mentioned... "The increase to the tax free savings account argument is absolutely insane logic by the oppostion." You meant the con goc tfsa hike of 5.5k to 10k in the recent cons budget right?

"Anyone ever meet a Liberal that doesn't like taxes?" Shyte Teen... you be wrong! ALL politicians like taxes, they just try to spin a positive. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 26 May 2015, 22:04

A few thoughts. I scanned over that OVO ACVA status update. Maybe I should read it again and delve deeper, but at a glance methinks the GOC is squirming a little... what a stoplight of red, green and ambers. I salute the OVO for putting that update out there.

But it should not fracture the momentum of veterans or stakeholders as them's or us's. Not in the big picture. Perhaps the GOC see's ALL of us as some kind of jigsaw puzzle. I'm just trying to keep my own one together and maybe help others do the same damn thing.

Sick and tired of fighting DVA/GOC Johnny211.  I was too, but I won. Since the mid-eighties and up to and including today. Just remember it can peeve you off so let it slide and your better the next day... pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 26 May 2015, 21:40

The increase to the tax free savings account argument is absolutely insane logic by the oppostion. Trudeau says "Who has $10K at the end of the year?" Doesn't the same argument apply to RRSP's? Who has $10k at the end of the year for RRSP's?

I like the increase to TFSA...less taxes oh sorry NO taxes whenever I want my money and I get to replace what I take out.

Oh and Trudeau started the GST fight....he said he will raise it back to 7%. Anyone ever meet a Liberal that doesn't like taxes? Tax increases? Creating new taxes?

As for no more for veterans until Equitas officially says "Law suit is back on" I am hoping they increase the lump sum to the WISB national average....or above!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 26 May 2015, 21:34

Johnny, I do not think that Harper will offer any carrots for Veterans in the election. Rumours are already spreading that he may promise another 1% cut to GST, if reelected, at a cost of 7 billion annually from the the countries revenue. So add that with all the changes to benefit their wealthy friends, like Income Splitting, the tax free savings account increase, and expanding the UCCB regardless of income, it doesn't leave them much money to fund any significant benefits. And if things look really ugly in the polls come end September, I wouldn't be surprised if they promise an increase the income level required to receive a GST refund, in an attempt to sway more lower middle class earners to vote for them.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 26 May 2015, 19:14

Riddick - good point, In my head spaceing I forgot all about Harper still dragging us thru the courts. Ya that looks real good on him coming up to the election.. If he had any compassion towards Vets, he would end all this. But pigs will fly first..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 26 May 2015, 19:05

Johnny211........ I am going to guess any "big items" or announcements is dependent. Dependent on things like the Equitas Society law suit. The Cons could put themselves in a precarious position if they make an announcement before the Court makes it's decision. I am sure one could affect the other and visa versa.

But as we all know how slow the court system is......it may not be concluded for years to come. Only Mr. Harper knows if he wants to continue spending our money fighting us or not.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 May 2015, 17:01

I suppose " improve " would be relative .

over the history of this country have vets programs improved ??? overall yes .

have vets programs improved since 2007 ??? yes they have .

have vets programs improved since 1994???? NO in fact all the improvements thorough the history of this country up to 94 have been torn apart and disabled vets today are BY FAR worse off than they would have been prior to 95.

so at least in my opinion there has been no improvement since 94 nor will there be until those benefits taken away since 94 have been returned , relatively speaking of course.

but then again I suppose a guy that never had to accept this buyout especially at a point 4-9 years after he has received the buyout has no REAL point of relativity to go by.

unless of course you are willing to listen to people who have.

OVO are you listening????

yaaa didn't think so.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 26 May 2015, 16:30

Riddick - sick and tired of fighting, calling, appeals, writing letters to mp's, seeing the ovo, being ignored by our cm's, or a system that thinks we are lying, and our constant bitching. Close our district office, where we had one on one in a quiet setting for us with ptsd issues. I am not sure they hear or care! And all the while we are the ones injured mentally and physically. The gov, just threw out a few peanuts to try to quiet us, and make joe public think they did good. Its the big ticket $ items, that they are avoiding, better compensation, up the ELB %, etc, etc. OK I feel a little better now..
Do any of you think any of these big items will be brought out before the election? If so what will they be?
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 26 May 2015, 16:21

Far too many yellow and red blocks in that chart to say that they have made meaningful improvements. They say that VAC has paid for a review of the lump sum amounts, but how many time do multiple entities have to review the lump sum, and deem it inadequate, before they stop reviewing and start acting. And who are they paying to review it? Is it one of Harper's friends, so they arrive at a Torie friendly conclusion?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 26 May 2015, 13:31

Just venting because of what most of us feel .....frustration.

Like many, I have read the comments from the VO. I met him and I like him as I believe his intentions are genuine. But I have to say, when he says things are moving in the right direction, they are still moving at a "snails pace" or "important steps"; when climbing the Empire State Building using the stairs, does one step really make that much of a difference? It's like a friggin drop of rain in an ocean.

I quickly looked at the chart, reminds me of a P.E.R. all kinds of flowery words and how great of a job you did, but you still aren't anywhere near getting a promotion.

The chart identifies having greater access to programs, this is good, having increased eligibility is also good, but where is there an increase for compensation or support for families........the Cons might just come up with a medal for our spouses/caregivers and say here you go, this is our way of recognizing how much you do for your spouse/veteran.

For me; the areas which will make a biggest difference in my life.....things my family and I need, are not there! Get rid of the VRAB, that will help wayyyyyy more than the 1%.

The VO says it's up to all of us to keep up the momentum? Huh....how do we do that......keep complaining? keep calling his office? Keep writing/calling our MP's? I do not know how to do that.

I think most of us are also sick and tired of fighting, complaining is a direct result of that and I am going to guess that Mr. Harper and Mr. O'Toole are more than aware we are unhappy and they know perfectly well how to remedy this......it's a choice and they simply choose not to.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Status Update on OVO Priorities & ACVA Recommendations - Page 2 Empty Status Update on OVO Priorities & ACVA Recommendations

Post by Teentitan Tue 26 May 2015, 11:25

View Chart - http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/reports/statistics-facts/status-of-priorities

As most of you are aware, the Government has made several announcements in the last few months on the New Veterans Charter. Many of you have asked questions about the particulars of the various benefits and how they address the concerns of the Veterans’ community.

In some instances, it has been difficult to get detailed information about some of the individual benefits as the draft regulations and policy have not yet been published. As a result, at this time we can only speculate on the impact of some of the benefits. However, I do believe that overall the Government’s actions are positive for the Veterans’ community.

This does not mean that all gaps have been addressed. However, if these new initiatives are looked at as important steps in a commitment to continuously improve and adapt benefits to the evolving needs of Veterans, then this is a very positive indicator for the future.

To ensure that we are all aware of what has been announced and how those announcements address my Office’s priorities, as well as the recommendations from the House of Commons Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs (ACVA), we have prepared a chart that tracks each announcement.

We have also done some initial analysis that will give you my perspective of whether the Government’s actions meet the intent of the OVO’s and/or ACVA’s recommendations. As much as possible, we have provided the links to the source documents.

The chart will be updated as we get more information and we will make you aware of these changes. I would appreciate your feedback on the chart and how it can be improved.

Although there is still much to be done, I believe that things are moving in the right direction. It’s up to all of us to keep up the momentum.

Guy Parent

Veterans Ombudsman

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/blog/post/296
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2