Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WARNING-----sensitive questions about when i am gone after 1 year?

4 posters

Go down

WARNING-----sensitive questions about when i am gone after 1 year? Empty Re: WARNING-----sensitive questions about when i am gone after 1 year?

Post by bigrex Thu 28 May 2015, 00:58

Teen is correct. A PA pension of 48% or higher, the spouse basically receives a 75% pension, plus child amounts (if under 18). Any PA pensions received up to 47%, the spouse gets 50% of whatever the Veteran received, for a maximum of $600/mo.

As far as I can tell, there are no survivor portion of ELB or PIA
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

WARNING-----sensitive questions about when i am gone after 1 year? Empty Re: WARNING-----sensitive questions about when i am gone after 1 year?

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 21:50

Thanks Teen! Best option Don't Die!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 27 May 2015, 21:07

PA if you get 48% or higher your spouse gets a monthly tax-free payment for the rest of their life, right now it's around $1950

CF Pension spouse gets 40% of your pension, taxed
CF Pension insurance is twice the yearly amount upon release (eg: ret'd at $45K a year spouse gets $90K) of course this declines from age 65-70 then it is nothing.

NVC: if you die of pensioned condition spouse is supposed to get the balance of the lump sum (injury gave you $50K spouse supposed to get the balance for the lump sum of the year you die. Right now it would be the balance of $306K) tax free
If you are in receipt of the RISB (Retirement Income Security Benefit which is 70% of what you were making with ELB etc) your spouse will get 50% of the RISB taxed

Your CPP and spouse CPP is blended and taxed

I think that's it.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 20:56

Can anyone confirm this. If a person is in receipt of a DVA pension greater then 50%, does the surviving spouse collect the benefit for life if recipient passes away? I think it is an important post rigger/fitter started because it is a subject no one wants to think about let alone discuss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 20:35

Big Rex

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Wed 27 May 2015, 20:20

rigger/fitter - Very good ?. I have dug into some policys also and cannot seem to find a straight answer. I hear you, we would all like to tell our spouse whats going to go on in the future. What stays, what they will loose, or what % of something they will loose. I know there is something about being over 48%. I am sure someone on here knows. VVV..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 19:58

rigger/fitter that is a very important question and one I have wondered myself but don't have any answers or know where to seek the answers. Thank you for posting it. Hopefully someone will know.

Back to top Go down

Post by rigger/fitter Wed 27 May 2015, 19:16

in case you are wondering ,we are only trying to figure this out...........no drastic issues here.

rigger/fitter
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

WARNING-----sensitive questions about when i am gone after 1 year? Empty WARNING-----sensitive questions about when i am gone after 1 year?

Post by rigger/fitter Wed 27 May 2015, 18:48

I have looked and looked and cannot find anything about this other then ,everything stays the same for a year,then a "survivor benefit"?....what is the amount of this benefit?

i hoped i have not offended anyone,it is not my intent,but we are trying to figure this out and my last resort is to ask the veteran community because i am getting dizzy from the spin from the gov't in getting real numbers.

rigger/fitter
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down