Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

+14
rucksack031
beleaf67
prawnstar
loggie
RCNRetired
Rifleman
Recon031
Dannypaj
Nemo
pinger
BinRat
bigrex
Teentitan
18 posters

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) - Page 11 Empty Re: Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Post by Guest Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:47

I am happy for those that this RISB support, however, I am getting borderline skeptical about this whole thing, I need to see specifics of the policy before deciding on what to think of it.

Are these Veterans who are Medically released before pension eligibility going to be monitored for ELB applications before walking out the door ?

The prediction of numbers of Veterans that will be eligible for this in the future, how accurate are those numbers ?

Back to top Go down

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) - Page 11 Empty Re: Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Post by Guest Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:42

teentitan wrote:Just finished a teleconference with Minister O'Toole and DM Natynzk here is the breakdown of RISB

1.  LTD CLIENT WILL QUALIFY FOR RISB
2.  For the Widow's Benefit it will be 50% of RISB and if the vet was in receipt of PIA, PIAS etc it will also be included in the calculation of the 50%

FYI the Minister said he had received a lot of queries on the inclusion of LTD clients for RISB.  So way to go those who contacted him.

Teen, maybe premature still but has the Minister advised whether LTD folks need to apply for ELB to access the RISB at 65?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:36

That is how I interpreted the interview as well trooper. See 7:40 minutes on interview where Minister clearly defines those with DND pension would not be in need of RISB.
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/Power+%26+Politics/ID/2657998940/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:29

Well two things here;

1. In MACLEANS March 09  page heading ; WOUNDED VETS WITH NO MILITARY PENSION TO GET RETIREMENT SUPPORT: O'Toole.

2. The video in question on page 9 of this thread by 6608 power&politics - Interview with Mr.O'Toole - Mr. O'Toole clearly states that those who receive a CF pension won't qualify for the RISB.

One more thing here in the example there is CPP & OAS - No CF pension.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:20

6608 wrote:Here is an interview with O'Toole on Power and Politics........talking about RISB and other issues.
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/Power+%26+Politics/ID/2657998940/

Cheer's
Thank you Teen, I was one of a couple folks who inferred that DND pension recipient's would not be included in RISB based on what Minister O'Toole said in his CBC interview above. Maybe several of us misunderstood him but at the 7:40 minute mark in above interview is where we came to that conclusion.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:16

In the interview O'Toole states, and I quote "So if somebody has a Canadian Forces Pension, that helps make them whole, when the Earnings Loss Benefit drops off, they won't be caught by this." So if getting a CF pension doesn't exclude anyone from the RISB, then why bring it up at all?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:03

I don't know how that one started but in the debrief (on 9 March) it was stated there is no penalty of pensions, CPP, OAS, RRSP etc. against RISB.

RISB is ADDED to the post 65 pensions/incomes. Post 65 pensions/income are NOT deducted from RISB.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:59

teen, can you confirm wither or not those on EELB, or SISIP, that get a CF pension, will be excluded from this benefit?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:50

Just finished a teleconference with Minister O'Toole and DM Natynzk here is the breakdown of RISB

1. LTD CLIENT WILL QUALIFY FOR RISB
2. For the Widow's Benefit it will be 50% of RISB and if the vet was in receipt of PIA, PIAS etc it will also be included in the calculation of the 50%

FYI the Minister said he had received a lot of queries on the inclusion of LTD clients for RISB. So way to go those who contacted him.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Thu 12 Mar 2015, 08:30

study

Last edited by Dannypaj on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 13:12; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 11 Mar 2015, 23:02

Some thoughts...

I remain VERY cautiously optimistic,  but I feel this risb is a step in the right direction and don't think anyone would disagree with that. Sounds like the MVA is trying to streamline the dynamics and variables and god knows, there's a hell of alot of them. All sorts of scenarios, and there endless.
In some ways, this risb sounds like a bridge between the old pa and the nvc to me.
There are some things missing alright, but it's a work in progress. Geez, the media makes it sound like it's already been implemented and law? It's not even a bill yet!
407 and 2020 aside, where is the GoC gonna get the money? Well, they've pillaged every dept. a few years ago to get out of a deficeit some time soon, so maybe they got the money...
and the election looms. What to do? Contact our mp's that's what and get the OVO's take on this. Use the mva contact info previously posted as well.

To me it's a crap shoot in time.  pinger.

Tx for that video link 6608, and navrat, smoke some red panthers they keep the bugs away Smile

Last edited by pinger on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 23:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the cigars)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 11 Mar 2015, 21:29

Last year, my CF pension, only accounted for 38% of my total ELB benefit. So at 65, instead of a 30% drop in income, like those without a CF pension, I will have a 62% decrease in income. That equals a difference of $20000 per year.

Last edited by bigrex on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 21:55; edited 1 time in total
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Mar 2015, 20:30

trooper of course but then they would not have the buyout they so desperately are trying to keep in place.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Mar 2015, 20:21

There is no question that this would be good for those who are not entitled to a CF pension, the eligibility is you must be on ELB with no pension to apply for the RISB.

My question is this - could this RISB - or ELB been brought forward without having implemented the NVC ?

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 20:06

The ombudsman main and really only concern the day the RISB was announced was "eligibility" http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/wounded-vets-with-no-military-pension-to-get-retirement-support-otoole/

Cheer's
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next