Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

+14
rucksack031
beleaf67
prawnstar
loggie
RCNRetired
Rifleman
Recon031
Dannypaj
Nemo
pinger
BinRat
bigrex
Teentitan
18 posters

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) - Page 17 Empty Re: Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Post by Dannypaj Tue 10 Mar 2015, 07:02

Earnings Loss Benefit

This income replacement provides 75% of your gross pre-release military salary while you are participating in Rehabilitation services. This ensures a pre-tax income of at least $42,426 per year (with the exception of some reservists).
I am under the impression that the ELB I am receiving will end when I am out of the rehab program and competed school. I will be graduating soon and transitioning into another career. My only worry is that I will end up in a minimum wage job again, with no chance of earning a pension (I worked for the Commissionaires for 9 years after my medical release). I am little confused about the ELB! Rex I will do coffee.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) - Page 17 Empty Re: Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Post by Nemo Tue 10 Mar 2015, 01:58

still sucks if u get sisip ltd and and a regular vac pension. sisip will end at 65 and u wont be eligible for this. i paid into sisip and it was supposed to be for life. but around 95 or so they changed it to 65 so if u got sisip before they changed, u were good for life.the rest of us get cut off at 65 and i don't get elb or anything like that. i get a monthly vac pension tho. but from what i understand, this change will not apply to me.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 23:05

well teen im still suspicious because everything I keep reading says 70% of dva benefit's not 100% of them and 70% of ELB witch means the example they gave you was BS and you can refer to the calculations I posted on the locked thread to see just how fracked this benefit is .

im guessing since they are saying two completely different things at the same time we will not know for sure till we see the legislation .

trust me when it comes out ill be reading it so I will know exactly what it says and exactly how the math will work.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 09 Mar 2015, 22:58

Yeah can't argue that but how many applications did you have to fill out Rex? That's why they want to merge it. One application, medical reports decision. Condition, situation gets worse call VAC tell them they reassess and give more.

Their object is to decrease applications, paperwork and make the process less frustrating, complicated for the vet.

I know weird but time will tell????
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 09 Mar 2015, 22:32

"ELB, EELB, PIA, PIAS, CFIS and merge them into one payment."

They are already merged into a single payment. I know that I get two deposits every month. One for the money under the PA, and one for EELB, PIA and PIA supp. They are also lumped together on a single T4, and listed as financial benefits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 09 Mar 2015, 22:19

Well like they said today this is the proposed bill and they will take all the questions/concerns raised today and then write the Bill. O'Toole said he will continue to work with the OVO to get it right.

One other thing to bring up this is the first time any VAC Minister held a conference call with vet orgs after the presser. There was lot's of you missed this, what about this situation so at the end I encouraged them to keep doing this procedure.

If O'Toole was honest about the new "veteran-centric" approach this could be the start of transparency and keeping veterans, all veterans, informed.

I know it's hard to not be suspicious but we need to try and give this a chance so maybe we should all consider giving them the benefit of the doubt...for awhile at least.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 09 Mar 2015, 22:06

The most one can get is three of those benefits, not 5. EELB is the same as ELB, except it is extended to age 65. It's not two separate benefits. And CFIS can only be collected after you are no longer eligible for ELB. You cannot collect ELB and CFIS at the same time.

So if the example they gave is correct, and you will still get 100% of your PIA and PIA supp, and 70% of ELB, then why not just say that they will pay 70% of your ELB amount at 65, instead of saying that they will look all your benefits and other sources of income?

ELB $2500 (after deductions)
PIA $584
PIA(s) $1074

If they are lumped together when calculating RSIB = $2910/month gross
If they only reduce ELB amount by 30% = $3408/month gross

That is a difference of $500/month or $6000 annually. That is a big difference, so they had better clarify exactly just how these benefits are supposed to be calculated.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 09 Mar 2015, 22:01

Propat thanks for posting the info from the VAC site because that is the example they gave us today. I looked earlier but it wasn't there...guess they will listen if you bitch enough for them to update the news more regularly. LOL

So yes they said they want to take all of the benefits and make it into one. Maybe what the gent was trying to say benefits one name...allowances for life another name.

The next month is going to be really interesting folks because there is a whole series of changes/improvements coming down the pipe from VAC.

Call it politics...call it not flooding too much info out...either way changes are coming and bills will be tabled, budgets will be read and voted on...let's look at it this way...

It's about feckn' time the GoC is starting to treat the NVC as it was sold to us as...A LIVING CHARTER that will be corrected.

As for the lawsuit who knows what will happen but let's take today and enjoy it.

If...sorry...When this passes NVC severly disabled veterans financial futures will greatly improve and isn't this what we have all been bitching about?

I know propat END THE BUYOUT NOW but let's leave that one for the lawsuit to fight because vets are going to be paid better.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Mon 09 Mar 2015, 21:06

Ya, cause they need to be 67 for OAS or GIS..
Unless they were born 1957 or earlier.. Then its 65

The Government of Canada, in Budget 2012, announced three changes: The age of eligibility for Old Age Security (OAS) pension and the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) will gradually increase from 65 to 67 over six years, starting in April 2023

From that I don't qualify for them till I turn 67

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 20:43

that's how im reading it too pinger witch makes this total crap!!!!

but with the example they gave teen they left the PIA and supplement at 100% and gave 70% for ELB . that would make this a good half measure that would help a few folks . and with the minimum would give a huge increase to young disabled afgan vets at 65 if only they could survive that long . they would be able to afford both rent and food.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Mon 09 Mar 2015, 20:34

Teen, from your list of :

" ELB
EELB
PIA
PIAS
CFIS

Five benefits/allowances for severly disabled. What he wants VAC to do is this to get rid of the confusion is take all of these and make it ONE name. "

Let me get this straight. Those 5 benefits are taken into account for post 65 year 70% risb calculations? 70% of income received from VAC? And prior old PA pensions are not because there not taxed and are for life? Too much alphabet soup.
Thanks in advance Teen.

Frankly, I see a LOT of loopholes for the GoC in this, bearing in mind this whole proposal ain't carved in granite. I wonder what we will see in one year from now.... pinger
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 20:32

That would be my recommendation to apply.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 20:26

So does everyone declared tpi by sisip ltd have to apply for ELB , only for VAC to tell us that sisip takes care of us? There is a lot more guys on sisip ltd whose benefit will end at 65 than ElB since ELB only started   In 2006. To collect sisip ltd till 65 you have to be serious disabled!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 20:21

I keep reading its 70% of income received from VAC before 65 but the example they gave to teen was 100% of PIA and its supplement and 70% of ELB?????

im thinking there is a disconnect somewhere????

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Mar 2015, 20:16

maybe this is mute but what happens if the NVC lawsuit succeeds? How does this affect RISB? Is this the governments way of insuring the lawsuit does not win and remains as is with the addition of the RISB benefits?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next