Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 42 of 47 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 42 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by Vet1234 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 23:32

And how would they expect to be able to establish the amount payable, without a "current" assessment! I think they royally messed this one up. I'm going to re apply like Big Rex said and when it's approved(extremely confident) I'll take both and appeal the assessment date.
Thanks guys.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 22:01

And that my brothers... is why I come here.
That is exactly what I will do.
I appreciate it Bruce and Big Rex
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:37

Well, I agree that if it said that the reason it was denied was because the supporting documentation was out of date, and not because the documentation failed to prove a permanent impairment, whoever was processing your file, should requested that you have a new one completed before rendering a decision. But I do not recall ever seeing anywhere that states that assessments has to be current, especially if the assessments that they do have state that a condition is severe and permanent.

In fact, the act states

"Examination or assessment

40 (1) The Minister may, for the purpose of determining whether a veteran may continue to receive a permanent impairment allowance, require the veteran to undergo a medical examination or an assessment by a person specified by the Minister."

So the Act does not state that a current medical assessment is required, except for continued benefits. And the NVC regulations state

"42 An application for a permanent impairment allowance or an increase to a permanent impairment allowance shall be made in writing and shall include

(a) medical reports or other records that document the veteran’s health problem creating the permanent and severe impairment or the total and permanent incapacity, as the case may be;

(b) a declaration attesting to the truth of the information provided; and

(c) at the request of the Minister, any other information or documents that are necessary to enable the Minister to assess whether the veteran is eligible for a permanent impairment allowance or the amount payable.

and

"45 (1) A person who is in receipt of a permanent impairment allowance shall provide, on request, medical records, reports or any other information or documents that are necessary to enable the Minister to assess the person’s continued eligibility for the permanent impairment allowance or the amount payable."

Neither the Act, nor the regulations state that the medical documentation has to be less than two years old , to be considered valid. So basically, if the adjudicator felt that the assessment was not current enough, to make an informed decision, they should have requested new documentation to confirm the assessment, instead of simply denying it. So in my opinion, I would submit the new assessment, and if approved, but only to the current application, I would appeal the assessment date. Then submit both assessments to VRAB, showing that your condition has not changed significantly, and that the initial application was wrongfully denied, since they had failed to live up to their obligation of due diligence, by not requesting additional information before making their decision.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:26

Feel free to take a screen shot of the list of documents used in my particular situation as an example to show all involved that you want a similar list made available and or as submissions. Then there's no confusion.

Good luck

Bruce

Omnia mea mecum porto

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:20

They didn't even let me know if I was able to submit anything. I applied on the advice of my Psych and they neglected to contact him or give me the opportunity to ask for an updated assessment, let alone tell me the impact it would have. I appreciate the support.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:14

I'm thinking you are on the right path too.  It seems pretty straight forward,  you were not informed properly of the documents you we're responsible to submit or what was required overall.

Last edited by bruce72 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : completed my thought.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 20:55

I think a review is the way to go too. If I re apply, the date of the new application is used to determine the eligibility start date. In my opinion, my application shouldn't have been submitted by VAC because it wasnt complete.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 20:07

I hope anyone who needed it took a screen shot of the information I had posted here yesterday. I've since removed it. After further consideration I thought it wise, lest VAC staff saw it and it wound up being used against me somehow. Sounds paranoid, but I'll blame that on PTSD.

Last edited by bruce72 on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:11; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling & grammar removed personal information)

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 19:37

I wasn't even involved in the process! I have no idea what was in my application, used to make a decision or given an opportunity to get the required "current" assessment.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 18:17

Bigrex can you weigh in here? You've got a good handle on matters like this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 17:28

I would appeal the decision, regardless of that fact it's past the 60 days we have to submit an appeal. I'd make the argument that you were never informed you needed a psych assessment less than 2 years old.

When I was approved for PIA 3 I was lucky, my psychologist had done a psych assessment last year, but VAC also used documents and reports that went back to 2009.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 16:40

Question about PIA policy and application..
I applied for PIA/PIAA in December of last year. I filled out the VAC form and Nurse came for a home visit. I am pensioned 55% mental health and on VAC rehab. I call VAC end January and and they tell me that my application was submitted and being processed. March I get a letter of denial, saying I have no recent Psych assessment (within 2 years) and am on Voc Rehab. My last assessment was 3 years ago.
I recently was approved for a psych assessment because my psych recommended that I end my Voc rehab because my issues are permanent and severe, and my CM wanted to make a new rehab plan.
My questions are...
Why did they submit my application without requesting a new psych evaluation??
(knowing it would be denied because it was more than 2 years old)
Who decided my application was ready to submit?

VAC policy states
"A complete application for PIA, an increase in the grade level due to a reassessment, and the PIA supplement must be made in writing by the member/Veteran or the member’s/Veteran’s legal representative and shall include:

a complete and signed VAC approved application form(s), which contains a declaration attesting to the truth of the information provided. Letters may be acceptable in lieu of an application form if they are accompanied by a signed affidavit or declaration attesting to the truth of the information provided;
medical reports or other records which document the health problem(s) creating the permanent and severe impairment or the total and permanent incapacity, as the case may be; and
at the request of the Minister, other information that is necessary to determine eligibility and calculate the amount payable.

The Department may request health professional reports, such as a VAC Nursing Assessment, the Occupational Therapy Assessment and Optional Tools, Psychiatric/Psychology Reports, and Physician Reports, if the information on the file is not sufficient for eligibility or assessment purposes.
The member/Veteran is considered to have made an application for the PIA and the PIA supplement when all of the application requirements identified above are met to the satisfaction of the Department."

They obviously didn't use due diligence with respect to my application.
My new Psych report is very cut and dry with respect to permanency and severity of conditions.
Any chance they will back date my PIA to the date of my initial flawed application?
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
I'm getting tired of all the VAC BS.

Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 42 Empty Expanding Access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2016, 06:34

Background
The Permanent Impairment Allowance is a monthly allowance paid to Canadian Armed Forces Veterans who have a permanent and severe impairment resulting from a service-related injury or illness that has affected their employment potential and career advancement. It is payable at three different grade levels (or rates).

Veterans Affairs Canada is committed, through Budget 2016, to a proposed expansion to the Permanent Impairment Allowance. Proposed changes build on improvements made in 2015 to broaden Permanent Impairment Allowance eligibility and also align with recommendations made by the Veterans Ombudsman and the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs.

Expanding access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance will better support Veterans who have had their career options limited by a service-related illness or injury.

Quick Facts
Budget 2016 reaffirmed the Government’s intent to provide for the long-term financial security of ill and injured Veterans.

A number of factors are considered when assessing the grade level of a Veteran eligible for the Permanent Impairment Allowance. The proposed changes will expand access to the three grade levels by introducing an individual assessment, which will measure the impact a service-related impairment has on a Veteran’s career advancement opportunities, and will consider years of service.

The changes mean that Veterans will be more appropriately compensated for the specific impact on their careers. No Veteran will receive less money as a result of this assessment.

For example, a Veteran who was assigned a grade three Permanent Impairment Allowance assessment due to a service-related injury prior to this proposed enhancement may be eligible for a higher grade level and higher Permanent Impairment Allowance payment based on the new individualized assessment, which would take into account the Veteran’s specific circumstances such as the impact on his or her ability to earn an income and the degree to which his or her military career was cut short.

If changes are approved, the program name would also be changed to “Career Impact Allowance” (from Permanent Impairment Allowance) to better reflect the intent of the program, which is to compensate for loss of employment potential and career advancement opportunities.

If approved, changes to the Permanent Impairment Allowance will come into effect on April 1, 2017.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/department-officials/minister/budget/expanding-pia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2016, 17:19

Ils feraient séparément chaque année.

Par exemple pour 5 différents prix , qu'ils utiliseraient le pourcentage pour chaque année , calculer chaque année, en pourcentage , et vous donner votre rétro avec chaque années d'explication des calculs.

Encore une fois, c'est seulement ce que nous ici sur CSAT viennent de présenter.

Vous prenez le pourcentage que vous avez pour une année en particulier , vous prenez ce pourcentage et l'appliquer à la nouvelle 360000 $ MONTANT , puis vous prenez ce montant et soustrayez le montant que vous avez reçu l'award pour l'année où elle a été reçue , et que vous donne votre montant d'un remboursement.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaincre Tue 10 May 2016, 17:04

Merci de m'avoir répondu
Dans la même ordre d'idée si une personne à reçu 5 indemnité durant différentes années comment vous pensez que cela va être calculé et que veux dire CSAT.

vaincre
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 47 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 47  Next