Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit - Page 2 Empty Re: A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2016, 13:43

Wow! What a kick in the head!

I really don't know what happen here, it's hard to figure without having more details.

They say that "Part of the problem can be traced to a class-action lawsuit settled in 2014" That's one part, what is the other?

This following statement tell's me that the one part regarding the SISIP lawsuit deals with the COLA retro: "The court ruled that veterans with disabilities were entitled to lump-sum payments to compensate for cost-of-living increases dating back to the 1970s, increases required under their long-term disability plan."

He was overpaid from SISIP, but yet VAC is doing the recovery?

I feel for the guy but without more details it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what they are talking about.

I'm sure we have not heard the last of this.

Back to top Go down

A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit - Page 2 Empty Re: A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit

Post by Teentitan Tue 28 Jun 2016, 13:39

Lot's of details missing from this case. Mainly his 'extra' monthly payments. Is he on CPP D? ELB? PIA, PIAS? Is his severance pay in play here?

But I agree Rex this is definitely a bad situation for him.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit - Page 2 Empty A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit

Post by bigrex Tue 28 Jun 2016, 11:51

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/former-soldier-shocked-81-000-120000310.html

Now, I have nothing but sympathy for this guy, but I'm just trying to figure out how this happened. If he was on ELB for several years, then was reinstated on SISIP, asa zero sum client, following the lawsuit. his ELB would have been reduced by the same amount as well. What it looks to me what is happening, is that VAC is saying that SISIP should have deducted PIA/PIAS, from his SISIP settlement. VAC says that he was overpaid $74252 by SISIP, between 2012-2016, and if you look at the current grade 3 PIA/PIAS numbers ($592/$1088), 4 years worth would equal around $80000, so once you factor in the COLA increases over the last 4 years, and the numbers look eerily similar. Yet PIA and PIAS are NOT among the deducted sources of income listed under the SISIP policy. So if I am correct, VAC needs to take a step back, and apologize for causing undue stress.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2