Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

+9
By the Bay
BinRat
prawnstar
pinger
Dove96
Willie
Jayse29
johnny211
SaintJohn18182
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance - Page 4 Empty Re: I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Post by Willie Sun 26 Feb 2017, 18:44

Saint John, please don't minimize your contributions in your service to Canada. There are many veterans on csat that have not experienced war per say but  yet they are legitimately injured and deserving of benefits such as yourself. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and that you are deserving of benefits. Take care

Willie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-01-19

Back to top Go down

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance - Page 4 Empty Re: I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Post by SaintJohn18182 Sun 26 Feb 2017, 18:16

johnny211, propat & Trooper

Thank you for your responses, you made me feel a bit better about myself and I am a little less worried.

I hope my case worker is nice, I really am.

See, I haven't went to Afghanistan or anything like that, I did a tour but it was to Columbia. But regardless, I feel like I deserve nothing compared to individuals who actually went to war.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Feb 2017, 16:37

Jayse,

Absolutely you can apply for benefits without the support of a case manager, case managers are always available, but not always necessary, if your starting a rehab plan, then you will need a case manager, TPI is another area which a case manager can help or assist.
If your comfortable with what you have, send them in, if denied, appeal, that is really the process we all have to go through.
Sometimes it is better to apply on your own, the reason I say this is because case managers are not all alike, some are excellent, some not so much.
If your lucky and end up with a good CM, all is good, but if you choose to apply on your own and you run into problems, a CM will be available to assist you at that point in the process.
Your saying you have medical docs to support various benefits, apply for them all, like I always keep saying, the benefits are there for us to apply.
You also have CSAT at your disposal, lots of info here, and lots of support here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse29 Sat 25 Feb 2017, 14:27

I have many diagnosis' related to military service. Not to hijack your post, but I am wondering if I should see a VA case manager in town before submitting a claim myself. It's on paper from a prominent psychiatrist that I have PTSD - directly related to military service. Is this enough ammo that I can submit a claim without the guidance of a VA case manager? I have never seen one yet.

Trooper, there are many other things that I can apply for via your link and it is all on my medical file as being service related. Is it safe to apply for the benefits myself without the guidance of a VA case manager?

Jayse29
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:40

SaintJohn,

Some good advice given by both johnny and propat, to add to it some I would say to never feel guilty about applying for benefits, that's what they are there for, so apply for everything you feel you deserve. Have a look at the List of VAC Benefits category above to see if they may pertain to you, Johnny is right, rehab does not necessarily mean going back to school, your psychologist can write up letters saying whether your capable of returning to the work force or not. Talk with your psychologist in asking him or her for support in your quest for benefits. Regarding your CM, well the best thing to do is if your uncertain about whether she is given you the right info or nor, or supporting you or not, ask on this forum. Lot's of members here who can help and guide you through the process be it with your CM, or with any benefit you are applying for.
Remember that the benefits are there for you to apply for.

Don't get to overwhelmed with the process, take it one day at a time and everything will fall into place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb 2017, 09:02

ive had good ones and bad ones . this question has been asked many times and judging by those the replies you will get will range from very good to very bad .

unfortunately your CM does kinda  have your life in her hands .sooo treat her that way and......

in case you get a bad CM .

start reading all the info you need to know . you want to know her job better than she does .VAC website, info on here and the legislation . ask a lot of question's from friends that have went through it and right here .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:49

Hi SaintJohn18182 - First off let me welcome you to the forum. A couple of years ago I came to the forum also, in the same boat as you. A awesome gp on here that can help you with your ? I also went thru Voc Rehab for mental disabilities. If you have a good CM you will be fine. Voc Rehab, does not have to be just schooling. If in conjunction with your pscy and CM assessment it is determined your work days are over, then carry on with working on you. Do not let them force you to school, stick to your guns. You could be TPI, and thus get EELB till. sixty five. Hope this helps, any more ? Just ask.
Johnny Out. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance - Page 4 Empty I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Post by SaintJohn18182 Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:29

Hi all, Nice to meet you.

I have released Jan 2014 and finally got a disability award for 'generalized anxiety disorder' after applying for it shortly after release. I wanted to get the hell out of the military and didn't want to stay in a day longer so I volunteerly released as I didn't want to be stuck in while doing all this medical crap, if that makes any sense :/

Beginning of this month I got approved for the Rehab program and now my ELB is on 'step 3'.

I found out who my case worker is in Saint John but haven't heard from her yet.

I am SO nervous about all of this because I feel like my case worker has my life in her hands and I don't know what to do.

I've been dealing with this condition for years now and I'm on medication and medical marijuana plus I am now seeing a psychologist every 2 weeks, I AM NOT trying to mooch off the system, and I don't want my case manager to think so either.. but I am basically afraid of people, social interactions and I can't even stay awake half of the day while on these meds..
I tried adjusting my dosage and everything. I have to realize that I'm going to be living like this for the rest of my life, unfortunately.

They're going to try their hardest to get me back to work but its not that I'm lazy or anything like that, its just I mentally can't do it.

Sorry for sounding like a moron, I just don't know what others experience with their case worker is.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum