Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled level

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Disabled level Empty Re: Disabled level

Post by bigrex Mon 22 May 2017, 10:28

Yes, it is tax free, but it is harder to get. yet the vast majority of veteran who would qualify for the EIA, would likely also qualify for CIA plus supplement, at some point, if not immediately. But once approved for EIA, it excludes you from getting CIA/CIAS. It's the supplement that makes getting the CIA better for severely disabled veterans.

A Veteran getting the minimum CIA, with the supplement, gets $1702/mo, or $1505/mo after taxes (based on NS tax rates, which are higher than most provinces). Yet the maximum someone can get from EIA is $1447/mo, but most only get the lowest grades, of $582 or $723.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Mon 22 May 2017, 00:11

Yes, but it was explained to me that EIA is better in the lead no run because it is tax free.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 21 May 2017, 02:40

I would try to avoid the EIA, if at all possible. If you have to quit working due to the medical condition, there is no guarantee they will increase your EIA. But if on the CIA, and become unable to work, it's easier to qualify for the CIA supplement. And now with the new changes, you may qualify for more than just the minimum CIA, if unable to work full time, depending on how many years you served before being released.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sat 20 May 2017, 22:14

As Robbie has written above, once at 98% it s pretty much automatic.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Sat 20 May 2017, 20:44

What do they consider as "exceptionally incapacitated" for Exceptional Incapacity Allowance?
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS Sat 20 May 2017, 19:13

thanks guys for weighing in, I am still working full time   public service job but i am in pain everyday and getting worst,

sigs pigs

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS Sat 20 May 2017, 18:24

thanks guys for weighing in, I am still working full time public service job but i am in pain everyday and getting worst,

sigs pigs

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 May 2017, 18:03

how about an Exceptional Incapacity Allowance if you are in receipt of:

• a Disability Pension for condition(s) that total 98% or more; OR
  • a Disability Pension and a Disability Award for conditions that total 98% or more; OR
  • a Disability Pension and POW compensation that total 98% or more; AND
  • you have an exceptional incapacity that is a result of, in whole or in part, the condition(s) for which you are receiving a disability benefit.
  • Tax free

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 20 May 2017, 15:24

Sig Pig, you can also apply for the CIA, and if you are unable to work, you may also qualify for the CIA supplement and the ELB.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS Sat 20 May 2017, 15:08

good afternoon everyone,

I am 112 % disabled and already have been paid at 100% and collect VIP is there anything else out there that I may qualify for that i am unaware of: thanks in advance

sigs pigs

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sat 20 May 2017, 02:43

If you can't do things around the home or need family to assist you must certainly apply for VIP. Spouses and are children are not here to take over your workload, that is what VIP is for so you can hire someone to help you in and around the home as well your spouse should be receiving a care givers allowance based on how much she has to do. My wife solely looks after our funds, cooks the meals, manages the mail, pay the bills and they give about $800/month for what she does plus I get a set amount for house cleaning and a set amount for lawn maintenance, shovelling snow etc. those two are around $5,000/year. So certainly worth it to apply especially if your wife is the lead in the home and you can't do the yardwork or cleaning your house. Good luck
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 May 2017, 15:12

Iceman wrote:Topper, thanks for the info. i was just curious

25 years out, don't know if rehab really would apply.
I am also currently employed, so i don't think ELB, CIA, CIAS would apply
I looked at VIP, and since i have a wife and daughter at home that could do the things i can't. i don't think that applies either

i had a case manager a few years ago. his workload was double, so my file was transferred to a new CM when one came on board.  she emailed me once, said she would call me in a month or 2, and never did. found out a little while ago, that my file was in the general pool now, and not CM managed.

OK your employed now, keep an eye on your PA and DA file for worsen of approved disability, and any consequential claims you can submit.

With respect to the other benefits mentioned, this would be something to look into in the event you had to stop work because of your pensioned disability.

IE: PA & DA awarded benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri 19 May 2017, 15:01

Topper, thanks for the info. i was just curious

25 years out, don't know if rehab really would apply.
I am also currently employed, so i don't think ELB, CIA, CIAS would apply
I looked at VIP, and since i have a wife and daughter at home that could do the things i can't. i don't think that applies either

i had a case manager a few years ago. his workload was double, so my file was transferred to a new CM when one came on board. she emailed me once, said she would call me in a month or 2, and never did. found out a little while ago, that my file was in the general pool now, and not CM managed.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 May 2017, 14:29

Iceman,

Those disability level numbers are not meant for the purpose of what other benefits your entitled to. They may aid in the decision process on any given application, but not in the qualifying for application or benefit sense.

If I may make a suggestion to you, if you have not applied for rehab, you should think of applying, this does not necessarily mean going back to school, if approved for rehab, you could apply for the Earnings Loss Benefit, CIA, CIAS and VIP.

If you have a case manager, they could help you with all of this.

The benefits are there for us to apply, don't let anyone discourage you from applying. You are a Veteran, your entitled to apply for these benefits.

Lots of forum members did not apply for these benefits simply because they did not think they would qualify, or were told by certain case managers they don't have a chance, only to be pushed into applying where some were successful on the first application, some had to appeal to finally get approved.

Perhaps you already know all of this, but it don't hurt to give you a reminder or a push.

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Fri 19 May 2017, 11:30

Wow, I did not know they had that classificaton.
Low at less than 48%? Idiotic classification. One may have 48% from one condition (?) and be seriously FUBAR and still 'Low' in their books?
Also, they are very low bowling their assessment to start with.
My two cents

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next